PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Hand tyres???

vtc
08-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Does anyone on here use 2nd hand tyres?

I know the pro's for them (price) but what can be some of the negatives? I really dont have a performance car but i know handling is a focal point. im on a budget and have asked around for 195/55/15's and new they are around $140 but second hand they are only $50. Ive been told by the shop that these will last 12 months.

Any thoughts?

bubblecivic
08-11-2004, 07:31 PM
i don't see the problem aslong as you try to get them all the same brand and size and tread it shouldn't be a problem?

SiR
08-11-2004, 08:31 PM
Negatives? Obviously, it depends on the amount of tread left amongst other things such as uneven wear on the tyres etc.

I would say that a nice set of tyres is about grip, rather than handling imo. Also, expect braking distances to be reduced with a good set of tyres and that's important for those much dreaded unexpected situations.

So with safety issues as a priority, I personally wouldn't go with 2nd hand tyres but like I said, that would depend on the quality of the particular 2nd hand tyre(s).

If you're willing to fork out the $$ for a nice Spoon N1 exhaust, don't be tight with tyres cos when you come to think of it, tyres are what keeps your car in contact with the road ;)

Just my opinion and good luck!

bungsai
08-11-2004, 11:50 PM
dude

check ou

http://www.redlinegti.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10155&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

it should basically answer most of you're questions

Pros

1 - Cheap
2 - Cheap
3 - Cheap

Cons

1 - Dont know what the tyre are off
2 - Dont know what the tyres have been through
3 - Dont know how long the tyres have been sitting around
4 - Hard to find if in a sports (low) profile

My mate got a set of second hand tyres for his silvia...and they are pretty sweet, havnt had any problems in the past 2 months.

I personally would go for the new tyres. If you want budget new tyres you should be able to find 195/55/15 for $110. Ask around alot, shop around alot, and never just accept the price they give you at first. Also, make it seem like u know what you're talking about...do a bit of research, and tell them that you;ve been shopping around. Trust me, they wont try and rip you off as much.

all the best

matt

Cyrus
20-11-2004, 04:00 PM
main cons is you don't know how long they've been sitting there...if they've been sitting there for a while.....harden rubber is like plastic and you won't get any grip from it..

flipmods
20-11-2004, 04:43 PM
If your after performance or quality then dont bother buying second hand, most are so old even if they have alot of tread they have already gone stale and the rubber is almost plastic.
I have learnt the hard way and although I have saved money in the end I haven't since I have had to buy new ones again.
I have had some so hard they cracked on the edges and some with flat spots (uneven wear).
Brand new shit brands usually have better grip than the good branded old ones.

In short don't waste your time and money unless you are gonna sell your car or use it for burnouts.

Just my thoughts :)

Cyrus
20-11-2004, 09:25 PM
Agree,...and it's for safety too,...these 4 pieces of rubber is ur only point of contact with the ground

muli
21-11-2004, 02:42 PM
i remember reading a article where they tested second hand tires and same tyres in new tyres, they tested handling, braking distances and a whole lot of other stuff and basically it wasnt worth buying the second hand tires, it might save you money now but not in the long run

[XRSIST]
21-11-2004, 03:13 PM
doesn't it also depend on how fast you go through tyres? You would want to be buying
new tyres if your replacing them every two months??

if your getting second hand tyres.. IMO just look for the best ones they have in stock..
brand wise without too much compromise on tread..

Reason being is that if it's a good tyre to start with because u know it's going to grip
better than a crap cheap tyre (thats prob half the price) which has been sitting there
for the same amount of time.

Cyrus
21-11-2004, 04:46 PM
That's wearing a bit fast on street tyres don't you think,..2 months...