PDA

View Full Version : Rattling issues with Gruppe M airbox for EP3R

patto
13-07-2009, 12:31 PM
I just picked up an EP3R which came with a GruppeM airbox :cool:

Like so many GruppeM's mine rattles quite alot. I have looked for the source of the rattling and cannot located a contact point. I fitted some padding behind the intake, near the scoop but this has done nothing. For the life of me I cannot isolate what is causing the rattle and it's starting to get annoying. I know a few EP3R drivers have the GruppeM airbox and I am just wondering how you went about fixing the rattle and if you could provide me some description of where exactly the rattle is coming from. Pics of this location and how you fixed it would be greatly appreciated.

ITRDC2
13-07-2009, 03:56 PM
always get ur music on loud lol,and maybe get a good sub?haha

jords
13-07-2009, 04:03 PM
maybe try a rubber washer/gromet.

SuperSteve
13-07-2009, 09:47 PM
check to see its not the plastic windscreen scuttle banging up against ur windscreen. Thats the prob i was having

patto
13-07-2009, 10:10 PM
check to see its not the plastic windscreen scuttle banging up against ur windscreen. Thats the prob i was having

Well I had a look but it seems firm as a rock...cant see where/how it would be banging? Is there a particular area I should be looking at?

kongfu
13-07-2009, 10:30 PM
I just picked up an EP3R which came with a GruppeM airbox :cool:

Like so many GruppeM's mine rattles quite alot. I have looked for the source of the rattling and cannot located a contact point. I fitted some padding behind the intake, near the scoop but this has done nothing. For the life of me I cannot isolate what is causing the rattle and it's starting to get annoying. I know a few EP3R drivers have the GruppeM airbox and I am just wondering how you went about fixing the rattle and if you could provide me some description of where exactly the rattle is coming from. Pics of this location and how you fixed it would be greatly appreciated.

you vtec too hard mate:D drive it slowly should be fine:angel:

SuperSteve
13-07-2009, 10:58 PM
Well I had a look but it seems firm as a rock...cant see where/how it would be banging? Is there a particular area I should be looking at?

You know the plastic aftermarket scuttle? The top bit? Check to see if there is anything underneath it. If there isnt my guess thats ur problem right there because there would b nothing between the plastic scuttle and ur windscreen. Thats the problem i was having and what i done was stick double sided tape right along it. Helped heaps :thumbsup: i doubled it up to make it thick aswell so it was also acting as a cushion

Let us know if its not that

XP02ED
22-07-2009, 11:09 AM
where are you located?

have a look at this thread

http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=26070

did it for a couple people here and noones complained, it will solve your issues

Nepolian
22-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Twist the body so it sit completely in the middle of the scuttle. Go to bunnings and get some thin weather strips (10 bucks). If ur really cheap, double sided tape will do.

Run the strip along the scuttle where the intake mouth sits including the sides and along the bonnet where it sits up on the mouth too. Do it well and it'll barely be noticeable!

patto
23-07-2009, 04:29 PM
yeh I'm not sure exactly where its coming from. The scuttle piece which I'm assuming is the replacment panel which the scoop bolts onto, appears to sit flush against the windscreen and seems rock solid. But something is still vibrating. Im not entirely sure what section of this you guys are alluding to either in terms of where I should be padding it up. If its not visibly loose could it be something else. Thanks for your help

Nepolian
23-07-2009, 05:07 PM
yeh I'm not sure exactly where its coming from. The scuttle piece which I'm assuming is the replacment panel which the scoop bolts onto, appears to sit flush against the windscreen and seems rock solid. But something is still vibrating. Im not entirely sure what section of this you guys are alluding to either in terms of where I should be padding it up. If its not visibly loose could it be something else. Thanks for your help

Yes mate, has it occurred to to you that its the vibration between the engine and the scuttle that is causing the vibration?? The gruppem feeder sit in the scuttle!!

Alternatively, you can also run a little tape under the lip of the scuttle where it sits on the firewall.

Why/what else would people talk about??

KaZe86
23-07-2009, 10:35 PM
i have a 100% fix for this...

sell it to me and take my injen cai :thumbsup: lols

XP02ED
24-07-2009, 12:14 PM
anything you apply to the scuttle like tape isn't going to last with the weather. heat, and water will eventually tear it along with rubbing.

the problem is mostly due to the engine movement, buy better aftermarket mounts and customise your cowl top along with getting a piping from TB to the gruppem to stiffen it up