PDA

View Full Version : Peugeot and Citroen quit WRC

LUD02C
08-11-2004, 04:24 PM
I know its late notice, but I thought some people might not know about it.
At the end of 2005 there will be no Peugeot and Citroen in the WRC :(
They blame car sales for this, but i have a few friends who think Peugeot are planning to go back into F1 (oh i hope so)

Peugeot and Citroën will stop beyond 2005 !
due to tougher conditions in the car market [04/11/04 - 13:37]

In five consecutive years of competition in the World Rally Championship, Peugeot and Citroën has won five manufacturers titles and three drivers titles. These results reflect the diligent, passionate determination of each marque, backed by a substantial financial commitment to motor sports competition.

Due to tougher conditions in the car market, new opportunities in motor sports will be reviewed in 2005, with a view to enabling the Group to significantly cut its sports budgets.

Peugeot and Citroën will remain strongly committed to the World Rally Championship in 2005.

However, PSA Peugeot Citroën has decided that the marques will no longer take part in the WRC beyond that date.

At the appropriate time, Citroën Sport and Peugeot Sport will announce the sports in which they will participate after 2005.

Latest 15 stories, here...26 Mitsubishi drivers in final...Interview with Gronholm &...Peugeot drivers in attack mode...Busy schedule for Petter...Feeling confident for the...Ford World Rally Team...Ford bids to extend winning...Interview with Carlos...Interview with Sebastien...Questions to Guy...Citroën's 2004 swansong!Richard reflects on SCCA...Ending the season on gravel...Keep track of the right...Last race of the 2004...
Press release
PSA Peugeot Citroen

7th Gen
08-11-2004, 07:01 PM
yeh when i heard about this, i thought it's gotta suck

the only real player in WRC then would be subaru, what with ford umm-ing and ahh-ing about whether they want to keep on chucking money at motorsport (jag quits F1 etc), and mitsubishis problems, there's no-one left to compete against......

Rally Australia this weekend!!!!!!!

LUD02C
08-11-2004, 08:39 PM
Ford have confirmed to stay in WRC for another 5 years i think it was.
I'll find the article and post it :D

I just hope Mitsubishi get all the bugs out of there car!

7th Gen
08-11-2004, 09:23 PM
bring back toyota!!!!!!!!! they would do much better in WRC than currently in F1

bring back hyundai, SEAT even!!!!!!!! more manf, more variety etc
(end rant)

LUD02C
08-11-2004, 09:42 PM
What about a VW Golf R32 Rally car?
Renault Mangut (sp) the one with the big boot and rear end.
Toyota come back with the new Celica!
Hyundai with the Elantra...

Hondavirgin
09-11-2004, 07:56 AM
i don't know why they didn't just pull one of their teams out (Peugeot and Citroen owned by the same people) and keep running the other, half their costs. It's a shame to lose them, but yeah, Ford are definately in there, they chose Rally over F1, thats why F1 got the chop.

Plus, they're on a roll, Martin's won the last two rallies!

Skoda are planning to do a full season next year i think with the Fabia? (which is probably why VW and Seat aren't in it, being as its all one company).

As for mitsubishi, they keep trying to start, realising they're going badly, and then pulling out! =). But their cars are improving (one of them did pretty good in the last rally).

I'd love to see a WRC mini!