PDA

View Full Version : 93 GL Civic - struggles to start

VTC-8OY
14-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Hey guys as titles says.. I just recently bought another eg civic.. but i find it hard to start during the first time in the morning/day.. it takes bout 3-5 goes sometimes crankin it before it starts, but once the car has been warmed up the first time it starts easily throughout the day with no worries... I recently got the distributor/coil changed too.. I'm worried maybe one day it just wont start at all... any ideas?

thanks dudes

DNY*BOY
14-07-2009, 07:42 PM
so u changed leeds and plugs too?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
14-07-2009, 07:43 PM
First question, Carby?

JDM.Power
14-07-2009, 07:46 PM
title states 93 GL, so its a carby.
maybe sparks and leads also? not enough spark?

SHOGUNOVDDRK
14-07-2009, 07:49 PM
title states 93 GL, so its a carby.

Cheers, not thinking straight.

I'd say its a typical thing really, the colder it is the more PITA it is to start the girl.

My car is a absolute **** to start in the morning and all other Carby cars,in reality most have the same problem, this being one of the few reasons why I look forward to fuel injection.

VTC-8OY
15-07-2009, 01:30 AM
narhh havent changed the leads and sparkies yet.. mite look into doing so..

wat other possibilities cud it be ?

lol ye it really shits me startin it up, i hav to go out 5 mins early before knock off at work jus so people wont see me havin trouble startin it up >_<

OEMFTW
15-07-2009, 01:39 AM
what's the point of changing the spark leads and spark plugs if it isn't neccessary and isn't the probably, why don't you just spend abit of time and do a proper diganosing session, your just wasting a unneccessary 120 odd dollars on leads and plugs,,,,,,

get a hold of a multi metre, and check your battery should be sitting around somewhere at 13,,, that's if you know how to use one,,, get a hydrometre and check the levels,,, also top up if needed,,,,

check the alternator, with the multimetre, also check the rate its running at the no load and full load, lights on air con etc,,, see if the rate drops, might be signs of battery dying soon, and alternator not charging,,,,

check the starter motor, check for loose connections, ignition wire,,,, check for battery terminals,,,, tighten them up,,, corrosion,, get battery terminal spray,,,,

it really could be anything,,, could be fuel pump,,, you dont know unless you do all the basics first before you jump into replacing all your parts,,,, could be just one little problem,,, so before you jump into changing all the parts you might not even need,,,, you could just diagnose and sort the problem out which can cost a few bucks instead of hundreds, invest in a multimetre also,,, great investment,,,, and money well spent,

VTC-8OY
15-07-2009, 02:35 AM
thanks heaps man yea got a multimetre at home, will get my bro to chek these things out wen i get time to come home on the weekend

VTC-8OY
15-07-2009, 09:34 PM
jus today wen i pump gas before starting it, it starts first go.. woo

SHOGUNOVDDRK
15-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Yep, carby FTW.

B18cEG
15-07-2009, 11:04 PM
jus today wen i pump gas before starting it, it starts first go.. woo

haha thats normally wat u do with a carby, give it a cpl squirts before u start it so that the jets pump a bit of fuel first, also while starting it have ur foot on a quarter throttle normally helps.