PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade: GSI > Prelude/FTO

duckey
15-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Hey guys,

Just sold my GSI not long ago and am now looking to either get a prelude VTIR (5th gen) or FTO (GPX).

I don't know much about the two cars.

FTO:
+
Nice interior
Decent power

-
UGLY REAR

Lude:
+
Good power
Easy on the eyes

-
Quite a bit more expensive
Maintenance costs?

Feel free to give feedbacks on these two cars.

I know of a prelude for sale for $7.3K...but its not manual. I wanted a manual :( is this going to greatly affect performance? My mate said that auto defeats the purpose of having vtec. Im also thinking is $7.3K too cheap for a 5th gen vtir prelude. From the pics it looks clean and it turned up positive on REVS. I just dont want to waste my life driving that far to check out a car..I'm a full time uni student + working full time.

I'm in no rush...if I can't find a car I'll just open up a term deposit :)

Regards,

duck

RR-04-RR
15-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Prelude for sure!

I reckon FTO are really slow for a 6cyl 2.0L 9not too sure how they are modded

but if you're planning on just buying either them stock.. i'd buy a prelude

maintainance wise.. could always learn to do a simple minor service yourself

Tegzieboi_BAR
15-07-2009, 05:05 PM
dc2r...

but out of the 2 vti-r for sure... u'll b surprised bout how gutless the fto's r... i think any vtec in auto is pretty pointless... get manual, otherwise u may aswell get an si

ummmz
15-07-2009, 05:07 PM
+1 for the fto.
the exhaust note from the 6 is so much better than that of the prelude!
In my opinion, the fto also perceives a better image.

15-07-2009, 05:10 PM
FTO stay awwaaay...

hard to maintain, not much aftermarket parts
a biatch to fix
good luck finding spareparts once its starts to falling apart.

i can say this because my house mate had gpx fto 94 and a shit house.. and sold if off not worth it. its slower than dc2r lol.

heavy n chunky handles no way nears dc2r

save up some money get your self a decent dc2r which about 15k now days or lower with higher k's

if you want luxury sporty look go prelude

hardcore honda diehard go dc2r

good luck

duckey
16-07-2009, 12:49 AM
FTO stay awwaaay...

hard to maintain, not much aftermarket parts
a biatch to fix
good luck finding spareparts once its starts to falling apart.

i can say this because my house mate had gpx fto 94 and a shit house.. and sold if off not worth it. its slower than dc2r lol.

heavy n chunky handles no way nears dc2r

save up some money get your self a decent dc2r which about 15k now days or lower with higher k's

if you want luxury sporty look go prelude

hardcore honda diehard go dc2r

good luck

hahaa i agree that the dc2r is > fto

but totally different leagues...

EK1.6LCIV
16-07-2009, 07:54 AM
if u get an fto know a few things:
there's not a whole lot aftermarket to make it move faster
to turbo one, do not buy the gpx model (mivec engine) as the oil galleries are too small and the non-mivec engine when boosted can handle more power
even if u do make 400hp traction is an issue and at best youll make a mid 13s pass lol
they made awd versions in greece, which cant be imported here lol

my buddy has spent the best part of 80k on his to turbo, modify the entire car from top to bottom (cup car brakes to stop, massage/heat and sound sensitive leather seats, one off cf hood/trunk, wide bodied, bigger gate than a gtr needs lol) and in the end he still only runs the 13s lol

yea if u do get an fto there is a nice forum in oz for it, but literally a costly car to own from servicing to spare parts, expect to spend decent coin :)

but seriously my mate has spent all that coin and now is going to put a 4.0 lexus engine in it and convert to rwd, as there's more parts in terms of performance lol

Limbo
16-07-2009, 11:35 AM
wow for the money spend i'd have brought a s15 new for like $45 & modded that.
Easy 12s car

16-07-2009, 11:36 AM
hahaa i agree that the dc2r is > fto

but totally different leagues...

they made the fto to chase the dc2r but never success :wave:

EK1.6LCIV
16-07-2009, 12:07 PM
wow for the money spend i'd have brought a s15 new for like $45 & modded that.
Easy 12s car

the mate with his turbo fto looks back and if knowing how much he spent
due to the beginning he turboed the mivec engine, then realised it was crap for it and had to get the std engine and do it again lol, this was back in the day tho when they first started turboing ftos so everything was all pretty primative in terms of how to go about it lol

but he wouldve spent knowing what he has now on ethier a 2nd hand porsche 996 or a house lol