PDA

View Full Version : minor things worth replacing/ buying in a dc5r?

Zinyo
15-07-2009, 08:58 PM
Hi guys, atm im just wandering is it worth buying/replacing these things: (atm im not looking for major upgrades/changes...just very minor ones as i want to keep my car near stock as possible with a limited budget...the only thing i've done is an injen intake)

1. Dc5r stock head unit?? it looks so plain n low on features (e.g. Ipod dock, eq,etc) replacing it with alpine/pioneer Head Unit only would improve the sound or anything at all? Even if its still with the standard speakers/tweeters?
2. Muffler?? since im a cheapo, cant afford/dont want to buy the whole exhaust system (as mentioned i want minor ug @ limited budget), i only want the muffler for better wow factor/sound/rice...is it worth it??
3. HID?? 6000K..I dunno why but it just looks better with hids...is it worth??

Thanks in advance and please tolerate my noob ness.
Cheers

da9_boy
15-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Well 1stly.. HID's are illegal so if you don't need them desperately (and why would you need to blind people driving lol).. no need to do them as your on a limited budget.

You could grab a twin-loop muffer tip and wack that on.. should set you back around 200.. you get a nice sound but not as great as a full exhaust obviously.. good for on a budget

Head unit would be the 1st thing to go in a new car.. deffinately upgrade that

Hope this helps.

cheers

Nepolian
16-07-2009, 08:58 AM
1. Dc5r stock head unit?? it looks so plain n low on features (e.g. Ipod dock, eq,etc) replacing it with alpine/pioneer Head Unit only would improve the sound or anything at all? Even if its still with the standard speakers/tweeters?

2. Muffler?? since im a cheapo, cant afford/dont want to buy the whole exhaust system (as mentioned i want minor ug @ limited budget), i only want the muffler for better wow factor/sound/rice...is it worth it??

3. HID?? 6000K..I dunno why but it just looks better with hids...is it worth??

1) Aftermarket h/u would still improve sound quality, even with stock speakers.

2) Why not, will sound better and improve performance a lttle.

3) Go for it, everyone else does!

Zinyo
17-07-2009, 04:04 PM
thanx for the advice guys;
what would be better...pioneer hu or alpine??(the one im looking at jb has the alpine hu for $298 n the pioneer over 300...) is it hard to diy change/replace the hu in a dc5r as jb hifi charges $80 flat rate for installations...
Also, any suggestion on any good mufflers to buy (NOT loud, decent perf/price, good sound...) and where to buy it in melbourne?

Thanks

Chriskoss
17-07-2009, 04:10 PM
All you really need to replace a h/u is your cars wiring diagram (what colour means what) a pair of scissors, wire strippers.. electrical tape.. and a few screwdrivers.

As for the muffler.. just look up your local performance shop (mufflers brakes etc) and go in and tell them exactly what you want and you can get a custom system made just for you

ek4-guy
17-07-2009, 04:12 PM
on a dc5r don't cut any wires just get a stereo harness adaptor to suit your car and stereo

Red_EG4
17-07-2009, 05:49 PM
thanx for the advice guys;
what would be better...pioneer hu or alpine??(the one im looking at jb has the alpine hu for $298 n the pioneer over 300...) is it hard to diy change/replace the hu in a dc5r as jb hifi charges $80 flat rate for installations...
Also, any suggestion on any good mufflers to buy (NOT loud, decent perf/price, good sound...) and where to buy it in melbourne?

Thanks
People will be able to give you more advice on the head unit if you get some specs or model numbers.
As for the install, is the head unit single DIN? does it look likes it's integrated into the dash?
Better off learning how to DIY it so you know exactly what is going on with your car. I've heard some horror 'professional' install stories.

on a dc5r don't cut any wires just get a stereo harness adaptor to suit your car and stereo
Aerpro harnesses are good. Definitely look into these as opposed to cutting out the OEM harness.

Moey.C
20-07-2009, 12:35 AM
1. yes
2. yes
3. na wat for... angel eyes in the dc5 would look sick though

Zinyo
20-07-2009, 02:32 PM
Thanks guys,

Havent had time to look up the model no for the HU but its on this catalogue just to show; The Alpine goin for 298 -->
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/car-sound-gps-navigation/mp3-cd-tuners/
Also, where can i buy one of those stereo harness adaptor if i do end up buying the HU...difficult to install?

se7en
20-07-2009, 03:00 PM
dont get exhaust..........look at intake first :)

Zinyo
20-07-2009, 04:18 PM
dont get exhaust..........look at intake first :)

I've already installed an injen CAI bout 2 weeks ago:thumbsup: sounds awesome & way better top end than stock

dogcrapau
20-07-2009, 04:19 PM
air freshner

Zinyo
20-07-2009, 04:31 PM
air freshner

wuakakakaka...already done...cant miss that one :)

V73C
20-07-2009, 06:33 PM
if u do get a fart cannon make sure you get them to flange it to an extra pipe and get it to fit directly to the b-pipe so you dont have to cut up your stock axle back.

so when it comes for time to sell the car in the future you just unbolt the fart cannon and bolt on the stock, off you go

JDM.Power
20-07-2009, 07:00 PM

use test light, and just choose the right wires, that work when turn in on ignition, also just tap the wires into the normal wiring, easy to install a headunit, headunit makes a big differences, dc5r stock speakers are real good. but dont put to much bass before it blows up.

r3ckless
27-07-2009, 12:30 AM
are dc5r speakres exact same as dc5s?