PDA

View Full Version : how do i know if i have an airbag?

Lyle_Style
08-11-2004, 09:37 PM
hey guys i just gettin rid of my shit ass steering wheel in a few days
and i have a fully sic new wheel to go on and a boss kit on the way.

However i do not know weather my standard wheel has a air bag or not.
Its a 94 civic gli 4door. The wheel has the whole center part as the horn (not buttons)

does neone know weather or not this wheel has a bag or not?

aznsiko
08-11-2004, 09:57 PM
i think.. not sure.. but most cars with airbags.. have a little light in the dash that say airbag or SRS??? etc.. when you turn the ignition to the stage where the lights light up.. just before you start the engine.. well there should be a light that lights up to indicate the airbag is initiated..

sivic
08-11-2004, 09:58 PM
pretty sure not airbag. airbag wheels have SRS on them i think?

egads
08-11-2004, 10:03 PM
carsales says you do. but they aren't always 100% correct.

http://www.carsales.com.au/pls/carsales/!cs_content.research_specs?vehicle_code=19931122.1 6:03:38&sort_type=&current_rec=16&make_name=HONDA&model_name=CIVIC&year_min=1991&year_max=1996

Perry
08-11-2004, 10:09 PM
does the steering wheel looks huge in the middle if it does it has a air bag , or just look at the dash which lights up when u start the car

ECU-MAN
08-11-2004, 10:42 PM
most wheels with air bag will have SRS in the centre of the wheel molded in the wheel as well as the RED SRS light and the SRS warning under the sun visor

Civ_97
08-11-2004, 10:45 PM
yeah i dont think yours will have an airbag mate. but yeah as ECU-MAN said look for a lil moulded thing on the wheel somewhere. if it does have an airbag it will say SRS moulded into it

DCLXVI
08-11-2004, 10:45 PM
if the entire center part of the wheel is the horn and there is not SRS written on it.. you probably dun have horn, to be sure, when u turn the ignition to on, red SRS light will flashes..

Eclipsor
08-11-2004, 11:44 PM
Yeah if the entire middle of the wheel is the horn you don't have one. If there are two buttons on either side you do. Plus the light in the dash. From the owners manual.

Baopham
09-11-2004, 09:42 AM
mine have 2 buttons as the horn on either side and no airbag... for the Eg, look to see if the cover of ur steering wheel as a small crease in the middle.. this is for the cover to fold as the airbag comes out, becoz obviosly u dont wnt the cover to fly out and hit u in the face as the airbag comes out, if it doesnt.. i doubt u have it.. also look for that and the SRS light

Lyle_Style
09-11-2004, 04:04 PM
nice guys thanks heaps for the advice, ahah i guess i will find out tomozza when i put the new wheel on.... hehe
should be fun

Alpine
09-11-2004, 04:47 PM
I guess the other way to find out for sure is to drive into a brick wall at high speed and see if it pops out or not. If nothing pops out, you got no airbag.

rAySiR
09-11-2004, 04:49 PM
I guess the other way to find out for sure is to drive into a brick wall at high speed and see if it pops out or not. If nothing pops out, you got no airbag.
IS ANYONE THAT DESPERATE TO KNOW??? :confused:

Alpine
09-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Hehehehe.

Civic Si
09-11-2004, 08:34 PM
:arrowr: Just a warning: it's always best to remove a steering wheel airbag by an authorised :honda: dealer! The dealer is also best to dispose of the airbag safely for u too...

carbine
09-11-2004, 11:29 PM
disconnect the battery first and leave for atleast 5minutes, to let the srs system discharge. If you don't it could go bang.

joyride
10-11-2004, 07:06 AM
you got balls son.
to remove the steering wheel whether or not knowing if you have an airbag is crazy talk.

Lyle_Style
12-11-2004, 06:20 PM
hahaaha hey all,
i did it and ****ed the old ugly wheel off and to set the record strait i dont have an airbag

Peace, Thanks for the help everyone :)

SINISTR
12-11-2004, 06:54 PM
hahaaha hey all,
i did it and ****ed the old ugly wheel off and to set the record strait i dont have an airbag

Peace, Thanks for the help everyone :)

haha - lucky!

As far as I know - it is ILLEGAL to install an aftermarket Steering wheel onto a car which has SRS. It doesn't comply with the licencing laws or some Sh*t like that.... so u're lucky in that respect. It is also Illegal to actually 'detonate' the airbag for the purpose of installing an aftermarket steering wheel...

But whos to say you didn't buy the car with a sports steering wheel on there already right?

tinkerbell
13-11-2004, 11:59 AM
hahaaha hey all,

thank ****ing goodness! :wave:

zco
13-11-2004, 02:26 PM
why didnt u just check ur manual to see if it had an airbag or not.. did it come with manual when u bought it.?