PDA

View Full Version : EK front split install *pics 56k safe*

EK9
08-11-2004, 09:39 PM
So i finally got around to ripping out my door panels and deciding to install my Alpine splits.

Anyways i just thought i'd post a few pics. All i've done so far is remove the door panel, old speakers and installed the tweeter into the plastic bit where the side mirror is.

Got sum questions too... Do all EK's have the plastic bag there? Or has the previous sound installers put it in?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3084s.jpg

Anybody know wot this bit on the inside of the door panel is???

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3089s.jpg

It's like an open box, bolted on with 3 screws, so i dunno y if it was designed to be part of the door, y it's not a permanent piece???

Also, anybody got pics of their EK front splits install? Preferably custom pods or similar cos my 6 1/2" aint gonna fit, magnet too big!

bungsai
09-11-2004, 12:12 AM
If you're asking about that plastic covering, it's standard in all cars to protect the electrics. Dont cut it and try and make sure you re-seal it all up. I cut mine to crap when i installed my splits in my old car...but luckily didnt have any electronik problems

SiR JDM
09-11-2004, 12:39 AM
yea Vinh, the plastic is standard, even on breezes with no electrics :P..

I just drilled and bolted my speakers into the frame of the door... no rattle.. no fus.. =]

btw from the pics ur recaros look all wrong, ill take them off you to solve the problem =]

toE
09-11-2004, 01:35 AM
That box thing there behind the trim is for you to stash your W33D Vinh ;)

EK9
09-11-2004, 09:27 AM
That box thing there behind the trim is for you to stash your W33D Vinh ;)
haha! well i ain't got no w33d to stash toe! i'll probly chuck my crossover there.

anyway, i've run into another prob. i just realised that the magnet wont even sit in the speaker hole cos of the plastic backing!!! F@#$!!!

WOT THE HECK SHOULD I DO???

1. I ain't cutting out the plastic on my CTR doors! so don't even suggest it...
2. sell the darn speakers and get 5 1/2" versions hoping they're smaller??? can't exchange cos i've had them for ages brand new and all and i've opened and messed wif all the parts, stoopid me...
3. try my skills and build sum pods???

I'm leaning towards 3 atm...

BlakTegra
09-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Get a pair of MDF spaces dude, like at Hiifi supermart, JiBi, Strathfeidl or something for like 8 bucks each, and drill it into the door frame. That should do it ;)

EK9
09-11-2004, 11:17 AM
well that's wot i was gonna do... til i realised the speakers stick out like 5+cms from the original mounts! so i would hafta get sum fat ass spacers!!! i had the mdf ready and all but now i guess they're gonna be used to build pods! LOL!... ah garr not funny :(

J-MuN
09-11-2004, 11:58 AM
the mdf spacers wont fit on the door.. if u want snug fit, then i suggest you jus cut the door :p ... i couldnt even fit my 5 1/2 inch splits but then thought f*ck it, so i widened up my hole.. now i got a 6.5" split there.. i put the tweeter where the plastic for the side mirror is... looks professional :D ... EK9, wanna see the finish product when we go to sorrento.. :thumbsup:

toE
09-11-2004, 12:49 PM
haha! well i ain't got no w33d to stash toe! i'll probly chuck my crossover there.

anyway, i've run into another prob. i just realised that the magnet wont even sit in the speaker hole cos of the plastic backing!!! F@#$!!!

WOT THE HECK SHOULD I DO???

1. I ain't cutting out the plastic on my CTR doors! so don't even suggest it...
2. sell the darn speakers and get 5 1/2" versions hoping they're smaller??? can't exchange cos i've had them for ages brand new and all and i've opened and messed wif all the parts, stoopid me...
3. try my skills and build sum pods???

I'm leaning towards 3 atm...
What you talking bout Vinh? Most west-siders have got w33d! :p

Remove the plastic backing, and use double spacers dude. :)

Gd luck. Hope to hear it at the cruise.

EK9
09-11-2004, 01:02 PM
What you talking bout Vinh? Most west-siders have got w33d! :p

Remove the plastic backing, and use double spacers dude. :)

Gd luck. Hope to hear it at the cruise.
Don't think i have the heart to cut into my doors!!! Well not until i try sum alternatives :D

Prob do a lil more research then i'll take a stab at making pods... hopefully it'll all be ready by the cruise... if all goes well that is and i get off my ass! Hehehe.

EK9
09-11-2004, 01:07 PM
the mdf spacers wont fit on the door.. if u want snug fit, then i suggest you jus cut the door :p ... i couldnt even fit my 5 1/2 inch splits but then thought f*ck it, so i widened up my hole.. now i got a 6.5" split there.. i put the tweeter where the plastic for the side mirror is... looks professional :D ... EK9, wanna see the finish product when we go to sorrento.. :thumbsup:
nah no cutting atm ;) have u got any pics??? would like to c other ppls installs, especially EKs. i've gotten the tweeter in already in the same spot as urs... my old ones were there, so i just replaced them, kinda. but now i'm stuck wif the woofer prob... oh well i guess i'm driving wif one front speaker for a week :D

toE
09-11-2004, 01:08 PM
huh? I din say cut your doors.

let me get this straight,
the magnet part of your speaker is larger than the hole?
or
it fits, but there's something preventing the speaker to sit flush with the door?

J-MuN
09-11-2004, 01:20 PM
yeh EK9, i'll try and get sum pics for you... if i got some time.. hehe.. yeh like toE said, is your magnet too big for the hole or it juz dont snuG fit..?

EK9
09-11-2004, 01:23 PM
huh? I din say cut your doors.

let me get this straight,
the magnet part of your speaker is larger than the hole?
or
it fits, but there's something preventing the speaker to sit flush with the door?
oh, u didn't? hehe... well u can't remove the backing, it's one whole piece with the door... here's a pic (only one i got atm), u can kinda c where the speaker sits and the plastic back

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3085s.jpg

yeah the magnet is huge and fat! i think even if i cut the back out, i still would have to drill into the door... i'll get sum more pics soon

nobbs
09-11-2004, 01:32 PM
hey dude i had the same problem u have when i was installing my pioneer splits into my EM1, the magnet was too fat

but i bit the bullet and cut the plastic backing out, once the speaker is in u cant see a thing behind it, after i did this the speaker fit and i put the standard speaker grill....u cant even tell i have the splits in my doors

EK9
09-11-2004, 01:47 PM
hey dude i had the same problem u have when i was installing my pioneer splits into my EM1, the magnet was too fat

but i bit the bullet and cut the plastic backing out, once the speaker is in u cant see a thing behind it, after i did this the speaker fit and i put the standard speaker grill....u cant even tell i have the splits in my doors
can't do it to my ctr doors yet!!! they ain't so easy to replace either... i probly would if i had normal doors.

just went and got sum pics too :D

new vs old
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3101s.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3107s.jpg

J-MuN
09-11-2004, 09:44 PM
got no choice i reckon... i had same problem.. didnt wanna cut my door but then i was like....argh! jus do it.. flip your door trim the other way round and you'll see the speaker mould... cut the entire mould and the speaker will fit nicely..i'll get some pics soon EK9... working tomorrow but thursday i gotta do some stuff to my car so i'll get some pics for you... ;)

toE
10-11-2004, 12:15 AM
ahh...now i understand.

can't u just screw it straight onto the door, which will sit behind the door trim?

hmm...maybe not aye? :p

z3lda
10-11-2004, 01:03 AM
one question off topic but related. how did u run ya speaker wires? i mean from amp to crossover box. did u feed it though the black plastic gromet thing or u left it lying around? cuz i can't seen to ffeed it trhough my one :(

CTR Coupe
10-11-2004, 01:55 AM
I think your only real option is to try to make custom pods or get smaller speakers. It’s going to be tough finding speakers that fit in the stock holes with spacers. I can understand your dilemma not wanting to cut the door trims.
If I had a genuine EK9 I wouldn’t want to cut them either. I was lazy with my MB Quartz splits I just cut the backing off, but my door trims don’t cost 500 bucks a pair.
Talk to Fhrx about what speakers will fit in the stock mounting position or maybe asking for quote for some custom door pods.

EK9
10-11-2004, 02:46 AM
one question off topic but related. how did u run ya speaker wires? i mean from amp to crossover box. did u feed it though the black plastic gromet thing or u left it lying around? cuz i can't seen to ffeed it trhough my one :(
well for now, i'm gonna run the existing wires, like i've dun with the rears... thing is i just dun have the time and resources atm to install my amp.

in regards to feeding wires thru gaps/gromets/etc, i'm not that experienced... actually not experienced at all with car audio so i got no idea how to run the wires thru... i guess the best way is just to rip it all apart like i did and go from there :D this is definitely a learning experience.

EK9
10-11-2004, 02:49 AM
I think your only real option is to try to make custom pods or get smaller speakers. It’s going to be tough finding speakers that fit in the stock holes with spacers. I can understand your dilemma not wanting to cut the door trims.
If I had a genuine EK9 I wouldn’t want to cut them either. I was lazy with my MB Quartz splits I just cut the backing off, but my door trims don’t cost 500 bucks a pair.
Talk to Fhrx about what speakers will fit in the stock mounting position or maybe asking for quote for some custom door pods.
yup, that's wot i'm goin for... custom home made pods! :cool: hopefully i can get a frame/mount made up by the weekend and it'll be ready for the resin/fibreglass. just hope i got enuff tools to work with :D

well i'm gonna try this myself first, then if all fails, i'll go custom pods or wotever... speaker wise, i've gone for an alpine system (personal pref ;) ) so i'm sticking wif wot i've got, no changes... i'm determined!!!

vtc
10-11-2004, 03:11 AM
Hey dude. I got an Ek1.. I had focal splits installed and the magnets were too big as well. I went to get custom ones made. They are actually just the standard grill modified into pods. I have pictures if you want to leave me your email address. Ive also sold my splits and well i wouldnt mind just swapping for your standard ones. They dont look "FULLYSICK BRO" pods but they do the job and have a nice sound stage. The tweeters are installed on the pods as well. let me know

EK9
10-11-2004, 01:45 PM
cool... i actually thought of doin that too!
email me at vinh_h_le@hotmail.com. thanks.
oh, but ur all the way in bris! haha... well talk over email then

luzinit
10-11-2004, 01:47 PM
mm.. thats a toughie vinh, i chopped my ek4 ones up.. wont be able to notice once u get the grille one but it would hurt to *know* that u hacked up some CTR doors hahaa... maybe you can have my door, and i'll take yours, then u can fit the speakers in perfect, without hacking ur doors! *gosh im so genius!*

try what the other boys say mate, my only worry is after u put the spaces in, will the original grille fit, or will the speaker sit out too much?

EK9
10-11-2004, 01:59 PM
LOL tony... wot a great idea!!! wot's ur address dude? i'll send my doors straight up to syd! hahah, j/k... don't get all excited! :D

spacers won't work... cos the speakers just stick out way too far and the then grill wouldn't fit. don't think the grill would even fit if it came out like 10mm.

well i'm goin custom pods, gonna try my skills very soon and if i have sumfing dun tonight, i'll post pics.

EK9
10-11-2004, 10:47 PM
went to Bunnings today and after spending sum $$ i'm committed to getting this done! hehe...

here's sum stuff i bought - fibreglass resin, catalyst. hope it's enuff for now
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3121s.jpg

yeah i know ppl gonna say buy at *insert place here* cos it's cheaper but Bunnings is close, it's just a convenience thing

pod frame construction - template from my door
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3120s.jpg

3mm MDF
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3127s.jpg

first few pieces nicely cut and sanded
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3131s.jpg

lined up all nicely
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3134s.jpg

this is my first time trying anything like this. hope everything goes according to "plan" - so far so good :D

luzinit
11-11-2004, 12:59 AM
mate that looks so pro, now what? what can u do now?

EK9
11-11-2004, 01:07 AM
hehe, thanks tony :D
next is to finish the frame... the side bit where the pocket is, then a ring and mount it so i can get the speaker in position. then wrap it in cloth, apply the fibreglass resin and then sand the bugger down.

Question: i've seen a few writeups on this, sum used fibreglass cloth/matt (woteva it's called) and one didn't (he made pods and just just used the resin). would only using the resin be sufficient for strength, hold and shape??? any experts out there???

EK9
12-11-2004, 05:43 PM
ok, i managed to do a little more... finished the 'frame' before the fibreglass goes on...

here's sum pics

mdf pieces - it's just like woodwork back in high skool :D
3mm & 6mm mdf, hope it holds
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3144s.jpg

level 1 glued together
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3151s.jpg

level 2 done - a hot glue gun is sooo damn useful at this step!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3153s.jpg

speaker test fitted - i made the ring the speaker sits on big enuff so wen i wanna have the grill on, it fits nicely
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3157s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3160s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3161s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3165s.jpg

tmrw, gonna rip out my other door, then bolt that frame together and get cracking with the fibreglass! i gotta say this is fun... hehehe :D

EK9
12-11-2004, 05:45 PM
y hasn't my title changed in the forum? i changed it in the first post, shouldn't it have changed??? mods can u help me???

BlakTegra
12-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Dayum! That looks sexy! You can do mine to while u're at it..hehehehe

R96P-EJ8
12-11-2004, 06:35 PM
That's nice man :) Maybe do a full write up if you have time? hehe

J-MuN
12-11-2004, 07:00 PM
haha, well done EK9.. very dedicated... wen i looked at mine when mine didnt fit.. i was puzzled but thought, nah thats gonna take too long... cant wait to see the results EK9 at the sorrento cruise.. they hooked up to an amp?...

EK9
12-11-2004, 07:02 PM
hehe, well this is kinda like a write up, but i'll do one if all goes well :D

amp is sitting in my room... wen this is dun, amp will be goin in. just can't be bothered doin the wiring atm.

micka
12-11-2004, 10:18 PM
looking very nice,great stuff thus far, even better when you concider you've done nothing to damage the trim:) hope all turns out well:)

wynode
13-11-2004, 11:13 AM
Looking heaps good......and we all lookforward to the write up! :)

y hasn't my title changed in the forum? i changed it in the first post, shouldn't it have changed??? mods can u help me???

DONE!

fried
13-11-2004, 02:12 PM
hey dude.....

looks very well done!

im not trying to burst ur bubble, but gotta ask one question. have u made sure that u can close ur door with that speaker pod sticking out like that?

make sure, cos i know both sides of ur door might be slightly different around the edges that contact eachother etc. ive been there, done that, when everythig is great on the door panel, but doesnt fit in the car lol.

but eithery... looks very cool man! hope the speakers sound great!

what set up apart form the spr-17a's have u got?

PERTH_EURO
13-11-2004, 06:40 PM
good tip Fried :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I recently witnessed a three way door setup that was farely hard core.
Problem was for the door to shut the dash and the new skin bashed together, compressing both until door shut.

EK9
13-11-2004, 11:52 PM
thanks for the comments guys... had to work today so didn't do anything, but tmrw is on! hehe

wynode: thanks for the fix! write up comming soon... hehe

fried: it's good to get feedback, just in case that does happen! ;) but i'm pretty sure the pods will fit cos i've basically just made a fatter version of the standard speaker cover... uh does that make sense? well it ain't any bigger than wot was there already :D i'll definitely test fit it tmrw too, hope all will be good :D

i also got the 6x9 type r's (spr-694a) and mrv-f340 (4 channel amp). y alpine? dunno, just like them... always had them and it's cool to have type r's in my type r! LOL!

R96P-EJ8
14-11-2004, 10:09 AM
Maybe sound deaden your car while you're at it :)

KB
14-11-2004, 02:19 PM
Good work EK9!
Looks really good so far. Kinda inspires me to go and do some DIY.

ArSe
14-11-2004, 02:31 PM
just pay a bit of money and get them installed for you.... it will only take the pro's bout 1 hr and itll be all done with no probs..... easy as that...
esp if u dont know what u doin

jay-bee'z
14-11-2004, 04:58 PM
this is the kind of story that makes me scared to buy splits and just settle for some hi-end 6"s for the fronts on my DC2 Teg.....im so scarred man (even thou its only dc2, but still, its my baby), im like you, cant get the courage to start cutting bits of my door and whatnot...rather have upgraded stuff in stock locatons...but then everyone tells me splits are the way to go...good luck man, be brave.

KB
14-11-2004, 07:11 PM
Nah man with my car i was like "hmmmmm these speakers dont seem to fit"(Homer Voice)
*pulls out jigsaw* Hehehehehe
JUST THINK OF THE WIEGHT SAVINGS :D

Can't Wait to see final results!!

EK9
14-11-2004, 07:21 PM
i'm in the middle of it right now! haha
putting on the fibreglass as we speak
everything fit all good, so let's see how it turns out in a few hours

btw, i would get the pro's, but i dun wanna fork out the $$$... i knew i might be able to do it, so i'll take my chances on myself first. oh, and if u do it urself, u get exactly wot u want :D

b back soon. :thumbsup:

EK9
14-11-2004, 07:45 PM
man that resin stinks bad! makin me hi :rolleyes: LOL

this is the kind of story that makes me scared to buy splits and just settle for some hi-end 6"s for the fronts on my DC2 Teg.....im so scarred man (even thou its only dc2, but still, its my baby), im like you, cant get the courage to start cutting bits of my door and whatnot...rather have upgraded stuff in stock locatons...but then everyone tells me splits are the way to go...good luck man, be brave.
yeah, who would wanna cut into their beloved car ;)

thing is my car already had a speaker upgrade... clarion splits were in there wen i got the car, so they already drilled holes and mounted splits on the back part of the side mirrors. and today wen i removed the drivers side door panel, wot did i discover? they had already cut into my doors! :thumbdwn: the plastic behind the speaker was cut out, dunno y they would only cut one side??? i bet ya a dodgy audio shop did it... that's y it's hard to leave ur car in other ppls hands to do custom jobs, whether it's audio or performance mods.

EK9
14-11-2004, 07:47 PM
just pay a bit of money and get them installed for you.... it will only take the pro's bout 1 hr and itll be all done with no probs..... easy as that...
esp if u dont know what u doin
nah won't take them 1 hr... if it did i would seriously be worried! :confused:

sheepo
14-11-2004, 07:59 PM
HEY! good work! you did it like a pro!! did you ahve such experience in this kidna things b4? *As in making all those stuff...*

KB
14-11-2004, 08:02 PM
man that resin stinks bad! makin me hi :rolleyes: LOLYeah man, a few year back Me and my Dad built this replica Mclaren/Mecadies F1 Car out of foam, then fibre glassed the whole thing. And I swear i was high as a kite some times :) . But man Im all for DIY, it was the first time we had atempted that sort of thing, and now the car is currently being displayed at the Computer Associates Building in Melbourne or Sydney, So it couldn't of been that bad.

Good luck!

michael_antoi
14-11-2004, 09:17 PM
you could pay someone to do it...and not have exactly what you want, have them cut and do who knows what to your car, and also fork out the $$ that you may not have...

or if you had a little bit of knowledge and willingness to learn, you could do it all yourself, have it done EXACTLY the way you wanted it and save a few $$

that's my 2 cents.

EK9
14-11-2004, 10:12 PM
spot on michael antoi :thumbsup:

sheepo: i've never dun anything like this. only thing i've dun myself on the car is install/remove my intake a few times, that's it!
i've wanted to do this for ages, did the research like last yr, but never got around to it... the internet has alot of good stuff, just gotta know where to look :D
like michael said, i was very willing and with the aid of online tutorials, etc i carefully planned everything - exactly how i wanted it to look, size, shape then went and got materials and all the tools.

i dunno how much a job like this would costs for a custom job, but i'm certain i've saved heaps diy'ing ;)

EK9
14-11-2004, 11:15 PM
ok, pic update!

so today i finished the driver's side frame, covered the pods in fabric, test fitted them, and applied the fibreglass resin. everything went well, except one little hiccup wif the fg, hehehe... pics will explain!

finished left side, fits nice
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3177s.jpg

both frames - almost identical, prob angle is just tiny bit off
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3183s.jpg

using the hot glue gun, i stuck on the stretchy fabric. it's finally taking shape!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3195s.jpg

EK9
14-11-2004, 11:19 PM
next, test fitting both doors - all is good
doesn't it look OEM?!?! except for the pink, haha :D oem was the look i was going for, nice and flush with everything
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3200s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3205s.jpg

prepping for fg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3209s.jpg

resin mixed with catalyst - this is the colour it becomes, from bluey to greeny to lightish brown
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3219s.jpg

EK9
14-11-2004, 11:24 PM
applying the resin - wot a mess!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3221s.jpg

ok, here is where my hiccup took place... after putting bout a quarter of the mix on, i thought i'd leave the resin to thicken up more cos it didn't seem to be drying on the pods. so 15mins i return (yeah, bit too long) and i find that the resin mix has hardened! i guess there's a time point where the cat just reacted instantly wif the resin and everything hardened very quickly! not just that, but my brush got stuck, so i cracked the resin open and it was hot! literally smoking! the heat is from the reaction i guess... lol
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3225s.jpg

so after losing about 70% of all the resin i had (lucky i didn't use all of it in the first go), i used wot was left over and this is wot it looks like as of 1 hr ago. it's hardened but not fully... i just hope i got enuff resin on there else i gotta get more tmrw.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3233s.jpg

KB
14-11-2004, 11:34 PM
Nice! :)

EK9
15-11-2004, 12:02 AM
thanks! it's sumthing, but it ain't no f1 car! :D

SiR JDM
15-11-2004, 12:27 AM
top stuff vinh =]

You gotta come ova n do my car when u finish.. oh and bring the recaros, ill take them that day too =]!

[M*]
15-11-2004, 12:50 AM
hay really like that should turn out really nice....i noticed your door drims is red... did that come standard with your car?? or did your do a diy?? cause i have some gay colour that ive alway wanted to change...

if you did diy can you please tell mehow you did it...

toE
15-11-2004, 01:23 AM
']hay really like that should turn out really nice....i noticed your door drims is red... did that come standard with your car?? or did your do a diy?? cause i have some gay colour that ive alway wanted to change...

if you did diy can you please tell mehow you did it...
it comes standard on EK9s - Civic Type R ;)

luzinit
15-11-2004, 06:36 AM
HAHAH that is so neat man!! though i couldnt stop laughing at that pic where brush got stuck. wish i had researched n DIY'd my splits now as well... booo, i cut my doors up :/

BlakTegra
15-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Ewwwwwww....looks messy.

I haven't started with my splits install yet but it looks like i have to do some custom work aswell. Suddenly you, Vinh, popped into my hollowed head..hehhehe

While u're at it, you might aswell do my headunit and amp.. :D

[M*]
15-11-2004, 08:28 AM
dame type-Rs they get all the good stuff....

EK9
15-11-2004, 12:10 PM
HAHAH that is so neat man!! though i couldnt stop laughing at that pic where brush got stuck. wish i had researched n DIY'd my splits now as well... booo, i cut my doors up :/
u can always get bigger better fatter splits and i'll make the pods for ya! LOL!
yeah, the paint brush is like concrete now... haha. oh well was only $2 for 2 brushes

Ewwwwwww....looks messy.

I haven't started with my splits install yet but it looks like i have to do some custom work aswell. Suddenly you, Vinh, popped into my hollowed head..hehhehe

While u're at it, you might aswell do my headunit and amp..
lol, well if u help me wif my amp, i'll help ya wif the rest... hehe

EK9
15-11-2004, 09:10 PM
ok, today the pods were all nice and hard after drying over nite... so the task today was to trim and sand the pods down. sounds easy? well if u have the right tools! a dremel woulda been perfect for the job, and woulda saved me hours!
i on the other hand didn't have a dremel... so after a while of drilling, cutting, sawing the fibreglass trying to clean up the messy pods, i almost gave up. but then i the old chisel and hammer saved me! took a while but was exactly wot i needed.

the results... only did one, trimmed and sanded
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3240s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3241s.jpg

final test fit - everything is perfect! well 99% at least
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3238s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3245s.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3244s.jpg

ok, the surface isn't 100% smooth, so i wasn't sure if i should smooth it out wif putty/bondo/woteva then prime and paint it. i thought maybe leaving it would kinda look like the door plastic, it's not perfectly smooth either... hehe

anyways that's probably it for next few days until i finish the other one and paint the bugger. hopefully all will be dun by this weekend! *phew* wot a week! :D

jay-bee'z
15-11-2004, 09:17 PM
going good, cant wait to see the final product, imagne the satisfaction u will have when its all done.

KB
15-11-2004, 09:45 PM
:) Very good

michael_antoi
16-11-2004, 08:47 PM
good job mate, damn make me wanna have a go at my setup soon...

i wanna get red trims on my regular hatch...

wat sort of material is it, anyone know where i can get it?

reyesone
16-11-2004, 11:28 PM
did you actually put fibreglass matt onto it? or just resin over the cloth?

and if you dont put fibreglass onto it, wont that make it britte and not as strong?

i really have no clue about this so it is a serious question

ive seen some DIY fibreglass pods and stuff on the net and it seems like you missed a step?

[M*]
17-11-2004, 03:43 AM
also i was just looking at your photos and was thinking how are you going to mount that back on to the door?

i mean you have fibreglassed the whole think how are you going to mount it?

EK9
17-11-2004, 02:01 PM
did you actually put fibreglass matt onto it? or just resin over the cloth?

and if you dont put fibreglass onto it, wont that make it britte and not as strong?

i really have no clue about this so it is a serious question

ive seen some DIY fibreglass pods and stuff on the net and it seems like you missed a step?
i didn't put fg matt on it... i followed an online tute from caa and they didnt use it, so i thought wot the hell it seems easier and quicker not using the matt so i didn't :D

yeah, not using the matt makes it kinda brittle, kinda like plastic glass compared to if u used the matt which would probly make it super strong... so it can chip if u're not careful. however, the fabric kinda acts like the matt, cos the resin sticks to it and keeps everything together and keeps it from chipping and cracking off. i was careful wen trimming the fg using a chisel, so i got no cracks.

i dunno if it will last overtime, but i'm happy wif it for now. i can always apply another coat of resin and fg matt, but i can't be bothered :D

EK9
17-11-2004, 02:05 PM
']also i was just looking at your photos and was thinking how are you going to mount that back on to the door?

i mean you have fibreglassed the whole think how are you going to mount it?
planning is the key!!! :D

it's probly different with every car how u mount the pods, but with the ek, i've used the existing speaker mounts to mount the pod to the door, get me??? if u look at the pic of the back of the pods, u'll c 3 holes... they're the old speaker mounts and i just mount them like the old speakers. i've seen other pods where they've mounted the pods from behind the door, but that just seems very inconvenient to me. this way, i can remove the pods without removing the door ;)

EK9
17-11-2004, 02:10 PM
remember guys, i got no clue wen it comes to car audio :D i've learnt everything thru research (mainly online) and fiddling wif my existing head unit and speakers. so if it seems like i've stuffed anything up or giving bad advice, by all means let me know :)

forgot to mention that the pods are in the car (not painted, test run... i need music all round!) and i'm wrapped! like jay-bee'z said, i definitely feel very satisfied! :D

fried
17-11-2004, 02:12 PM
nice dude!

planning IS the key!

17-11-2004, 04:45 PM
dam bro.. thats heaps of work. well worth it by the pics . WELL DONE :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .. the pods look great and fit like a charm!

i really want your doors.. hahahaha the trim ish sweet. ish it the same red as a dc5-r?

saboteur
17-11-2004, 05:08 PM
I hacked up my doors and I regret it :( It got to me so much I even checked prices on new doors from Hondarec! I'm over it now though :p

EK9
17-11-2004, 05:51 PM
dam bro.. thats heaps of work. well worth it by the pics . WELL DONE :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .. the pods look great and fit like a charm!

i really want your doors.. hahahaha the trim ish sweet. ish it the same red as a dc5-r?
thanks, yeah it was well worth it... just gotta paint now. *sigh* i'm so lazy now... :rolleyes:

not sure if it's the same as the dc5-r, but it's the same material as the fabric on the recaros... not the suede bits. so if u seen dc2-r seats, it's the same stuff and colour.

sheepo
17-11-2004, 06:15 PM
paint it red to match the door!! GOOD JOB!! :D

18-11-2004, 03:32 PM
thanks, yeah it was well worth it... just gotta paint now. *sigh* i'm so lazy now... :rolleyes:

not sure if it's the same as the dc5-r, but it's the same material as the fabric on the recaros... not the suede bits. so if u seen dc2-r seats, it's the same stuff and colour.

hahah come on!! ish nearly done! just paint it and ish gonna finish it off.. sweet as candie pie.!

PM sent. just a question

Dream`R
18-11-2004, 04:28 PM
That looks really good, but where are your tweeters gonna go? :confused:

EK9
18-11-2004, 08:28 PM
hahah come on!! ish nearly done! just paint it and ish gonna finish it off.. sweet as candie pie.!

PM sent. just a question
got it and replied! :D well, so busy now after all that was dun! hopefully get sum time on sat and try to paint one of them. looks kinda odd now wif these cream pods on my black doors... lol!

but yeah, they definitely more bassy then my previous splits! luv em!

EK9
18-11-2004, 08:29 PM
That looks really good, but where are your tweeters gonna go? :confused:
tweeters are on the plastic bit where the side mirror is. old ones were there already, so no point mounting the new ones in a new location! i'll take pics soon to show the finished product. ;)

A'PEXi
19-11-2004, 12:30 AM
must say, great effort! if i had a ek i'd get you to make mine haha, but i dont.

cant wait to see the final pics with the pods painted and everything in place

EK9
19-11-2004, 02:48 AM
hehe, thanks... last pic for now, prob until i do a write up.

installed!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v417/ek9/EK9/Splits%20install/IMGP3254s.jpg

nedgeworth
19-11-2004, 08:23 AM
that's a great install you've done there for a first go at things!!!

z3lda
19-11-2004, 09:19 AM
u should fine tune it make it look pro, then mass produce it and sell it . ahahahha

EK9
19-11-2004, 01:25 PM
u should fine tune it make it look pro, then mass produce it and sell it . ahahahha
actually thought of that too! haha... would there seriously be any interest??? and how much would ppl pay for sumthing like this? $100+?
how much r pods in the shops? i remember sumone saying $150! :confused:

nedgeworth
19-11-2004, 03:05 PM
actually thought of that too! haha... would there seriously be any interest??? and how much would ppl pay for sumthing like this? $100+?
how much r pods in the shops? i remember sumone saying $150! :confused:

yeah you can buy prefab pro pods for around $150

badsector
19-11-2004, 03:30 PM
Just label it Honda OEM and price it at 300 each! :) BTW, good work EK9, i think if you can get it to match your vinyl trim it'd look the bomb.... As some others said, paint it red to match the cloth trim, i think there's too much emphasis on the type-r red. stealth it, it'd look more pro and sleek

!JonZap!
19-11-2004, 08:22 PM
nice work, when i was installing my speakers in my prelude last saturday, the magnets were too big for the plastic so i made some new holders out of very thick plywood and they fit perfectly.

z3lda
19-11-2004, 09:24 PM
prefab ones at jb are around $150 and they dont look have as good as the ones u made, so im pretty sure heaps of EK owners would want there hands on one that looks good.

EK9
20-11-2004, 07:38 PM
wot are u talking about? they are OEM... $300 a pair! LOL... j/k

well if there is any interest, i'll c wot happens... hehe. i mite make another set later on, try to make it as perfect as possible. gonna paint these black cos they stand out as they r already, don't want them to attract unwanted attention ;)

R96P-EJ8
21-11-2004, 12:10 AM
Ohh hrmm if I'm to lazy to DIY I'll be interested :) I don't think my 6.5 inch focal speakers will fit into my car :(

michael_antoi
22-11-2004, 09:46 PM
any progress....it's turned out pretty awesome so far...

need more pics!!!

:)

EK9
23-11-2004, 12:50 AM
hehe, gimme couple more days... just bought primer and paint ;)

sheepo
23-11-2004, 01:50 AM
go ek9 go! XD

A'PEXi
23-11-2004, 10:00 AM
would be interested if you can make them for other cars as well haha

EK9
23-11-2004, 02:17 PM
yeah? hehe... for wot car? EK?

Javed
23-11-2004, 02:20 PM
Have you tested the clearances for your feet while driving? Just some suggestions as I am into the DIY car audio thing a bit. Also it appears you got a few ripples there, the reason for this is due to the fabric not being pulled to its maximum elastic limit so not tight enough, just a hint for next time ;) With your fg, it is probably better to use the matting as it makes the entire structure alot stronger, whereas resin on its own has a tendency of being brittle and weak. Also any imperfections should be filled with bog (or even a milkshake which is a mix of bog and resin, its a bit easier to work and cheaper too) and sanded down to the smallest grit paper you can get for the ultimate surface (start with coarse grit and keep getting finer) although from the pics it seems you have sanded it very well already. Congratulations on a very neat and respectable job, I am in no way trying to belittle your project, actually quite the opposite. They look extremely good and when you trim them (I would say black vinyl, or red, to keep the stock theme going?) they will look OEM. Trick is to use a heatgun when applying that vinyl, and dont make the mistake of buying the thick stuff like i did for my kicks, with lots of curves you need the thin stuff! Good luck, and please do post up pics when you have finished. PS. How did you affix the mini pods to the trim? Did you actually screw into the trim?

EK9
23-11-2004, 03:31 PM
hey Javed, thanks for all the advice... no harm dun ;) i'll try to answer a few of ur questions... i've tested the clearence, they're in already too, so it's all good. only prob is getting in and out, sum ppl mite kick them! yeah i got sum ripples from the first pod i did, but after that it was all good! the second one came out perfect, no ripples... it's a learn as u go thing, hehe. bout the fg and matting, now that i've tested them, i prob will add a few layers to the inside to add strength, cos i dun want them cracking and stuff down the track. i was thinking of filling it with bog, but it doesn't need to be 100% perfect at this stage... i'm happy wif them sanded down. i've read that the primer mite even smooth it out a little more, so even better. how did i attach them? well i used the original speaker mounts! i didn't want to put holes in my door, so they were the best option... an added bonus is that i don't have to remove the door trim to take them off!

btw, u shoulda posted this earlier! hehe... would of helped before i started. oh well, it's all about experience :D

have u dun any fg work that look like the pros? is it basically the same process, bogged, sanded and painted glossy but very very neatly???

Javed
23-11-2004, 07:21 PM
I have not finished my kicks completely yet, Do not get me wrong I am still very amateur, however I know people who have done DIY and it looks as good as the pro's. I am completely redoing my kicks and boot during these hols. I am not 100 percent happy with the imaging I am getting from my tweeter angling in the kicks. Basically the more sanding you do, the better it will look. Problem is, we all hate the sanding stage :P As for the primer, if you get a filling primer then yes it will fill it in but only the smallest of imperfections. I used a high build primer and actually found it more of a nuisance. Bogging and sanding to perfection is generally advised. I also found the spray adhesives for trimming weak and not good on the curves on my kicks. Therefore when I redo them I will be using contact adhesive. Contact is extremely strong and I think it will suit my needs. Anyways once again congrats on a nice look. Remember if you plan to paint them you need to have it PERFECTLY smooth, because paint shows up ALL imperfections (trust me on this 1 lol) however if you trim, there is more leniance.

Edit: Oh and btw, Nice car, i love the EK9 :)

DRCVIC
04-12-2004, 07:44 PM
I've been doin some fibreglassing work in the EG... my question is, for some reason when i sand it, all the glass fibres come out (in some places) did i not put enough resin on? or push it down deep enough? it only happend with the top layer, the last 3 layers were fine! i kinda was running low on resin, so that may be why, just thought i'd ask if anyone can help, and how to get it smooth if i cant sand it? the jobs almost finished n i dun wanna buy more resin, i might need to use body filler?
Cheers
DRCVIC

EK9
12-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Hey guys, i've done a DIY thread here
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13092

Also, i mite be making another set of EK pods soon, was wondering if anyone is interested in me making them a pair too? We can also negotiate on the costs :D
PM me or reply here

15-12-2004, 09:05 AM
nice DIY man.. and nice setup.... i want your seats and doors!!! actually just give me your car.. hahaha :thumbsup: