PDA

View Full Version : EU3 Heater Problem

SHU-ES1
17-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

I just have a query in regards to my car's heater. I recently purchased an EU3 (5D Hatch Vi) and the heater does not come out with hot air. The fan, and air conditioning all work properly. Only when I try to put it to hot air, it stays cold. I've had the thermostat checked, and it opens and closes properly so I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with their Honda before? I've been told that there might be a problem with the heatercore? or that there is a blockage somewhere? Any ideas on what the problem may be as well as the costs involved would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

NightRyder
17-07-2009, 09:21 PM
If the thermostat is working, then it could be the heatercore or a fuse problem or even simply some faulty/loose wiring.
I'm no expert but here are some things you can check (and of course anybody reading this can correct me if I'm wrong):

1. Check and make sure any wiring behind the dash that connects to the heatercore/box is not faulty in any way, like frayed or cut.
2. Most heatercores have coolant running through it so check if yours does and if so, if the flap inside the box can open and close, then it may be that the wiring in there could be faulty, maybe burnt?
3. Check if the valves and vents going in and out of the heatercore/box are not blocked by anything.
4. Check the fuse connection.
5. If all else fails, take it to an auto electrician or mechanic to check it out. This may cost you between $300-$800, since it may involve taking your dash out to inspect and to repair/replace.

Good luck.

Hi all,

I just have a query in regards to my car's heater. I recently purchased an EU3 (5D Hatch Vi) and the heater does not come out with hot air. The fan, and air conditioning all work properly. Only when I try to put it to hot air, it stays cold. I've had the thermostat checked, and it opens and closes properly so I was wondering if anyone has had this problem with their Honda before? I've been told that there might be a problem with the heatercore? or that there is a blockage somewhere? Any ideas on what the problem may be as well as the costs involved would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!

SHU-ES1
18-07-2009, 02:33 PM
Thanks Night! I took off the dash and had a look at everything, and found the problem to be the gear that connects to the knob on the dash via a steel wire. The steel wire that push and pulls as I turn the temp from hot to cold, has come off the gear underneath the steering wheel just about the fuse box. The previous owner must have snapped it off as he was probably doing work to his headunit. So, I've superglued a hook onto the point where the gear originally had its hook to connect the steel wire to. I'm just waiting for the epoxy glue to dry completely before i connect it up, as I don't want to snap anything else! I hope it works, i've got the temperature on hot all the time now as it is winter so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks so much again for the advice. Cheers!

NightRyder
18-07-2009, 02:44 PM
no problem, good to hear it's not anything major. :)

Thanks Night! I took off the dash and had a look at everything, and found the problem to be the gear that connects to the knob on the dash via a steel wire. The steel wire that push and pulls as I turn the temp from hot to cold, has come off the gear underneath the steering wheel just about the fuse box. The previous owner must have snapped it off as he was probably doing work to his headunit. So, I've superglued a hook onto the point where the gear originally had its hook to connect the steel wire to. I'm just waiting for the epoxy glue to dry completely before i connect it up, as I don't want to snap anything else! I hope it works, i've got the temperature on hot all the time now as it is winter so I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks so much again for the advice. Cheers!