PDA

View Full Version : Humming/grinding noise

Infusion
17-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Hi Guys,

I'm getting this humming/grinding noise when I travel at low speeds of about 1-10km/hour. I could either be slowing down, or starting from stationary, the sound is the same, a dull humming/grinding sound that usually happens when I'm rolling in neutral. It stops when I hit the brakes.

The tyres directional have about 3 months left on them, all facing the correct direction, on 32psi. The tyres are Sava Intensa, 205/50/R16. The brake pads seem Ok, I have about 4mm of meat left on the rear two, and about 3.5mm on the front two.

The brake disc are relatively smooth.

My mechanic said it's possibly your tyres, if they need replacement then they make this humming sound?

I have vti-r 2000 prelude with 133,000km on the clock.

I plan to take it to pedders for a check this weekend. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Limbo
17-07-2009, 12:38 PM
yeah tyres can make that noise, as they are getting old if the rubber is getting close to the metal reinforcement it goes like that.

Best to get your tyres changed, its dangerous & u can get a fine

Nepolian
02-08-2009, 09:05 PM
Could b the brake pad indicator! pads don't always wear evenly. Maybe the inner pads.

JohnL
02-08-2009, 10:02 PM
I've never heard a tyre make a "humming / grinding" noise, though I have heard tyres make a humming noise that typically gets louder the faster you drive.

I would suspect that 'Nepolian' (who might want to check the spelling of the original Napolian's name?) is on the right track. It may well be the pad 'squealers' letting you know that the pads are getting thin. Note that it isn't unusual for one pad to wear a lot more quickly than the other, so when checking pad thickness make sure you have a look at both pads in each caliper.

Nepolian
02-08-2009, 10:12 PM
I've never heard a tyre make a "humming / grinding" noise, though I have heard tyres make a humming noise that typically gets louder the faster you drive.

I would suspect that 'Nepolian' (who might want to check the spelling of the original Napolian's name?) is on the right track. It may well be the pad 'squealers' letting you know that the pads are getting thin. Note that it isn't unusual for one pad to wear a lot more quickly than the other, so when checking pad thickness make sure you have a look at both pads in each caliper.

Yes mate, I am quite aware of the original "Napoleon". It is the name of our dog. Reason why I spell it this way is because when we registered the dog. The council worker spelt it that way and has become a family joke and we left it that way. No biggie!

Back to the topic, check all the pads :)