PDA

View Full Version : No coolant

edmbranch
17-07-2009, 04:43 PM
Just found out my car's running on no coolant at all, the coolant bottle was filled with dirt & dead bugs.. and I've just serviced my car 2 weeks ago..

I know Honda service isn't responsible for coolant top up, shouldn't they at least check fluid levels as indicated by their service manual?

aaronng
17-07-2009, 04:56 PM
Looks like your block might have the dreaded hairline crack which leaks coolant. Get the car to the dealer ASAP for warranty repair.

Mr_will
17-07-2009, 04:57 PM
if your car had no coolant whatsoever, it would overheat in a very very short period of time - read a few minutes.

if you mean that your overflow bottle is empty, thats not a big deal, just fill it to the line and off you go.

but yes, if your dealer serviced it they shouldve checked this. have a look at your service receipt to see if they claim to have done so.

aaronng
17-07-2009, 05:08 PM
if your car had no coolant whatsoever, it would overheat in a very very short period of time - read a few minutes.

if you mean that your overflow bottle is empty, thats not a big deal, just fill it to the line and off you go.

but yes, if your dealer serviced it they shouldve checked this. have a look at your service receipt to see if they claim to have done so.

It could have been full 2 weeks ago and developed the crack recently which lead to the loss of coolant. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113861

edmbranch
17-07-2009, 05:50 PM
hmm ok.. honda dealer, here I come.. again. so much trouble with this car.. :(

migoreng
17-07-2009, 08:14 PM
so what exactly happens when you get a hairline head gasket/block crack?

will a compression/radiator pressure test pick it up?

aaronng
17-07-2009, 08:41 PM
so what exactly happens when you get a hairline head gasket/block crack?

will a compression/radiator pressure test pick it up?

THe coolant leaks out when you drive the car.

Radiator pressure test won't pick it up unless you are doing it above the thermostat opening temperature.

edmbranch
17-07-2009, 08:46 PM
is it best if I don't drive it around at the moment? or it doesn't matter, i've added pure water as it is winter now so boiling isn't my concern..

aaronng
17-07-2009, 09:07 PM
is it best if I don't drive it around at the moment? or it doesn't matter, i've added pure water as it is winter now so boiling isn't my concern..
Don't drive it around until you can get it to the dealer. When you say pure water, do you mean reverse osmosis or distilled water? Tap water is not pure water. ESPECIALLY if you are living in melbourne. Your water has colloidal silica in it and will damage your water pump.

edmbranch
17-07-2009, 09:37 PM
distilled from kmart auto's.. for coolant only.. always had it in the car as back up

feels like crapping my pants, but here's an update:

I haven't noticed any coolant dripping in my garage nor engine temp rising above optimal in the past 2 weeks, so I'm guessing the block's not having any cracks, hopefully not anyway.

Service receipt did mention all fluids are checked. But, you can't check the levels of the coolant bottle unless you take it out, cause the FD2's engine bay's fairly cramped.

I only found out I have no coolant when I was replacing my parker lights.
Still doesn't explain how dirt/fungus or moss looking things/dead little bugs manage to get in there..

Anyhow, needs to be brought in to dealer's, that'd be the best solution for now, thanks Aarong

Wayne
17-07-2009, 09:55 PM
make a big complaint to them.. ask for some compensate or maybe some free service vouchers? or discount on parts.. =)

aaronng
17-07-2009, 10:56 PM
distilled from kmart auto's.. for coolant only.. always had it in the car as back up

feels like crapping my pants, but here's an update:

I haven't noticed any coolant dripping in my garage nor engine temp rising above optimal in the past 2 weeks, so I'm guessing the block's not having any cracks, hopefully not anyway.

Service receipt did mention all fluids are checked. But, you can't check the levels of the coolant bottle unless you take it out, cause the FD2's engine bay's fairly cramped.

I only found out I have no coolant when I was replacing my parker lights.
Still doesn't explain how dirt/fungus or moss looking things/dead little bugs manage to get in there..

Anyhow, needs to be brought in to dealer's, that'd be the best solution for now, thanks Aarong
The distilled water is fine. Call up the dealer and tell them that you just serviced 2 weeks ago and today there is no coolant. You need to get this covered under warranty.

SHOGUNOVDDRK
17-07-2009, 10:57 PM
The distilled water is fine. Call up the dealer and tell them that you just serviced 2 weeks ago and today there is no coolant. You need to get this covered under warranty.

and you need to do it NOW.

aaronng
17-07-2009, 10:58 PM
make a big complaint to them.. ask for some compensate or maybe some free service vouchers? or discount on parts.. =)

That is not the issue. The issue here is a defect in the engine which allowed the coolant to leak out. Get a new engine under warranty. Nothing less.

edmbranch
17-07-2009, 11:05 PM
mm.. yum.... new engine...... yum yum
can't do anything until I book it in.. but that's the idea for the moment

Wayne
17-07-2009, 11:10 PM
wow.. new engine is a good idea.. =)

edmbranch
17-07-2009, 11:32 PM
it'd be good, but I know the service department I go to has a bad reputation when it comes to after sales customer service. nevertheless, let's wish for the best, engine's fine..

aaronng
18-07-2009, 01:24 AM
it'd be good, but I know the service department I go to has a bad reputation when it comes to after sales customer service. nevertheless, let's wish for the best, engine's fine..

Go to a different dealer then. This is honda warranty that should cover it, not dealer warranty.

edmbranch
20-07-2009, 01:45 PM
went down to the dealership, the piping weren't sealed properly.. all good now :thumbsup:

aaronng
20-07-2009, 02:05 PM
went down to the dealership, the piping weren't sealed properly.. all good now :thumbsup:
Who's fault was it that the piping was not sealing? You need some guarantee to cover any damage that could have occured.

edmbranch
20-07-2009, 04:36 PM
it was them, they said they take the blame for it, filled it up.

I got their head mechanic & owner of that branch to print me a letter stating what's done & I am not liable of the mishap.

aaronng
20-07-2009, 04:52 PM
it was them, they said they take the blame for it, filled it up.

I got their head mechanic & owner of that branch to print me a letter stating what's done & I am not liable of the mishap.

Excellent!

migoreng
20-07-2009, 07:16 PM

how can a pipe not seal properly? once it's clampped it should be tight?

edmbranch
21-07-2009, 12:22 AM
so it wasn't clamped properly before.. :p i'm happy, they're happy they've got a happier customer.. all good..

migoreng
21-07-2009, 12:18 PM
so it wasn't clamped properly before.. :p i'm happy, they're happy they've got a happier customer.. all good..

i've got the same problem with my top radiator hose which was changed a year ago but had problems from the first few weeks. i can't be stuffed to do anything atm.

my overflow tank goes from max to minimum over ~3 months.

every few days drops of coolant are visible on my engine/next to the headers. when the car is running no leaks occur.

i think the pipe shrinks in cold weather which opens tiny holes for the coolant to drip out.
:confused:
i'm thinking of getting those blue silicon hoses or something.

edmbranch
21-07-2009, 05:52 PM
it really varies, when your car's stationary, or the engine's off, the vacuum inside the radiator would eventually suck up the coolant from the overflower bottle, which will look like it's leaked somewhere..

still doesn't explain why you'll see drip marks next to your engine.. the weather shouldn't be a problem as the parts will have gone through R&D.. bring it to the dealer and get an explanation.. besides you get to learn something too.. I know I did..:D

migoreng
21-07-2009, 08:48 PM
still doesn't explain why you'll see drip marks next to your engine.. the weather shouldn't be a problem as the parts will have gone through R&D.. bring it to the dealer and get an explanation.. besides you get to learn something too.. I know I did..:D

yeah it's weird.
i do see drops of coolant on my engine a few times a week. the drops are getting through the clamp somehow.

maybe the surfaces weren't cleaned properly before fitting/clamping

felixd
22-07-2009, 05:50 AM
thats y only buy ready for use coolant :D

edmbranch
23-07-2009, 12:42 PM
and genuine honda!