PDA

View Full Version : Rear Chamber problem

burner42
19-07-2009, 05:37 PM
hey guys, how can i tell if my control arm is knacked? cause at the moment, my rear tyres are sitting like an upside down "W", the inner part of my tyre is wearing out more quickly, any ideas?

zachge
19-07-2009, 09:02 PM
leave it, it looks hektik

MRGRIM
21-07-2009, 03:31 PM
pm or ring me

Tai
21-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Just letting you know an upside down W is an M.

Have you lowered your car a fair bit?

What car is it?

you most likely need a camber kit to correct the wheels/camber if you have lowered the car a fair bit.

MRGRIM
21-07-2009, 03:49 PM
its just been lowered ..with my old set up thats why ive said to ring me...shouldnt be a proble its only 30mm on an ek1

Red_EG4
21-07-2009, 04:09 PM
Just letting you know an upside down W is an M.
an M has parallel edges, meaning camber would be zero. ;)

burner42
21-07-2009, 05:40 PM
lolz yes i know an upside down "W" is an "M", no but i menat that from the back, the wheels look like the top is leaning in, and the bottom is leaning out, previuos sign is that the rear tyres were worn on the inside, the car is lowered as MRGRIM said, but even before it, was the same thing, just wondering if it's normal that's all.

kaze
21-07-2009, 09:22 PM
its just been lowered ..with my old set up

wheel alignment done? camber doesn't wear too much, toe in/out will wear rather quick.

burner42
22-07-2009, 12:02 AM
prior to springs installed, it had an alignment done, however the guy at the tyre place said that it could either be my hub being bent or the control arm is bent, he had maxed out the setting. my previous car didn't have that issue, so i was just wondering if that was normal? i did however see a few pics of other cars from the rear, and it looked similar to mine

aaronng
22-07-2009, 12:25 AM
prior to springs installed, it had an alignment done, however the guy at the tyre place said that it could either be my hub being bent or the control arm is bent, he had maxed out the setting. my previous car didn't have that issue, so i was just wondering if that was normal? i did however see a few pics of other cars from the rear, and it looked similar to mine

There is no camber adjustment unless you have aftermarket control arms. The only thing you can adjust with stock components is toe.

JohnL
22-07-2009, 09:30 AM
lolz yes i know an upside down "W" is an "M", no but i menat that from the back, the wheels look like the top is leaning in, and the bottom is leaning out,

Then something like this; / \ would have been clearer.

JohnL
22-07-2009, 09:34 AM
prior to springs installed, it had an alignment done,

So, you had it aligned, then fitted lowering springs?

When you lower tha rear end it will gain toe-in as well as neg camber. In combination, toe and camber = more wear than from just camber or toe alone. It's more like; wear = camber X toe, more than; camber + toe...

burner42
23-07-2009, 09:19 AM
possibly, but as i wasn't sure if it was normal or not, since the guy at the tyre place said he had maxed out the adjustments, but is that normal?

aaronng
23-07-2009, 09:33 AM
possibly, but as i wasn't sure if it was normal or not, since the guy at the tyre place said he had maxed out the adjustments, but is that normal?

Do you have camber adjustable arms? If you don't, then you can adjust only toe, so the tyre place guy couldn't have adjusted anything. He could also have maxed out your toe adjustment because your toe was out from bent suspension components, but at this point, that is all speculation unless you have the suspension alignment printout.

burner42
23-07-2009, 11:52 AM
Do you have camber adjustable arms? If you don't, then you can adjust only toe, so the tyre place guy couldn't have adjusted anything. He could also have maxed out your toe adjustment because your toe was out from bent suspension components, but at this point, that is all speculation unless you have the suspension alignment printout.

correction, it is the Toe problem, sorry i didn't know what it meant, here is the sheet

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p213/giang723/Toe.jpg

any idea how much it would cost to replace?

aaronng
23-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Get the car on jackstands and inspect the control arm. Get a cheap replacement from wreckers, in my opinion. Or from someone who had installed adjustable control arms and has a spare OEM one sitting at home.

burner42
23-07-2009, 04:42 PM
Get the car on jackstands and inspect the control arm. Get a cheap replacement from wreckers, in my opinion. Or from someone who had installed adjustable control arms and has a spare OEM one sitting at home.

cool thanks for your help mate, very much appreciated, will get it checked out after i get home from my trip away