PDA

View Full Version : Suspension in CL9 Lux

The X Man
19-07-2009, 07:06 PM
I find the CL9 Lux suspension to be very rough and jarring, not too far off what my pig nose WRX was like and would like to soften it up a little and at the same time drop it by about 25mm (1 inch). I also plan to fit 18" rims on it once it's been lowered.

Question is i assume the only way to soften it up is to use coilovers with adjustable dampers. I have been quoted $1800.00 (fitted) for Pedders but can these be set to be softer then the OEM springs?

I don't know about you guys but i find my CL9 to be a bitch to drive with both tramlining and being thrown around the place over every bump or pothole in the road.

integral90
19-07-2009, 07:19 PM
I find the CL9 Lux suspension to be very rough and jarring, not too far off what my pig nose WRX was like and would like to soften it up a little and at the same time drop it by about 25mm (1 inch). I also plan to fit 18" rims on it once it's been lowered.

Question is i assume the only way to soften it up is to use coilovers with adjustable dampers. I have been quoted $1800.00 (fitted) for Pedders but can these be set to be softer then the OEM springs?

I don't know about you guys but i find my CL9 to be a bitch to drive with both tramlining and being thrown around the place over every bump or pothole in the road.

I'd be suprised if you'd be able to find a lowering shock that has a setting softer than OEM-spec. Also the fact that you want to go lower, get bigger wheels AND soften the ride seem like conflicting ideas :p

From what I've heard the non-lux has slightly softer springs/shocks, so maybe swap the shocks from the non-lux and get some lowering springs? Someone verify please, I don't know if that's right about the lux/non-lux

aaronng
19-07-2009, 09:36 PM
Almost ALL aftermarket coilovers have a stiffer spring rate than the OEM suspension. Most spring and shock combos are also stiffer than the Euro's OEM suspension.

The X Man
19-07-2009, 10:21 PM
Looks like it's a deadend then.

10KRPM
19-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Just get the springs replaced and the shocks revalved to suit......Of course in the end you could end up just a few hundred off a coilover set.

I find that saying the euro is "Sporty" is kinda misleading. Its only sporting on fast flowing corners....anything tighter then it shows its faults.

Cheap way would be to go up in tyre sizes....give you a bit more cushioning but that will affect the handling to some degree too.........its a compromise methinks.

crunkman99
20-07-2009, 04:01 PM
ive got coils on mine, come to the next euro meet in adelaide and have a look, dont get them from peddars they over charge alot

tony1234
20-07-2009, 04:50 PM

Really!I lasted 2 weeks on the stock suspension on my 06 lux.It was soft and wallowy.:thumbdwn:.Put Eibach/Bilstein combo on,never looked back.Approx.35mm drop,firm but compliant(Aaron will verify,he's driven my car!).Only real shitty roads unsettle the car now.If you're on a budget just get Eibach springs and run your OEM shocks.You'll notice a definite improvement.Your car is new enough for you to get reasonable life out of the stock shocks.Don't get coilovers.

aaronng
20-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Really!I lasted 2 weeks on the stock suspension on my 06 lux.It was soft and wallowy.:thumbdwn:.Put Eibach/Bilstein combo on,never looked back.Approx.35mm drop,firm but compliant(Aaron will verify,he's driven my car!).Only real shitty roads unsettle the car now.If you're on a budget just get Eibach springs and run your OEM shocks.You'll notice a definite improvement.Your car is new enough for you to get reasonable life out of the stock shocks.Don't get coilovers.

His definition of "jarring and uncomfortable" could be the equivalent to our "comfortable and can fall asleep from the smooth ride". I reckon he should ride in someone elses Euro with coilovers or an eibach-bilstein combo. :)

tony1234
20-07-2009, 05:12 PM
His definition of "jarring and uncomfortable" could be the equivalent to our "comfortable and can fall asleep from the smooth ride". I reckon he should ride in someone elses Euro with coilovers or an eibach-bilstein combo. :)
Ha ha true.The X man.You need to ride in a few Euros with either spring/shock combo or coilovers and see what you like.Meets are the best for this.:D

The X Man
20-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Yes, i will go to the next meet and have a look around.

Dont get me wrong, i have driven a lot of cars (a bloody lot) and aside from the WRX the Euro is right up there in the firm department. Mind you i have a couple of young kids and one of them isn't a fan of being chucked all over the place on Adelaide's shit roads. The other cars i had seemed to soak up the bumps much better.

integral90
20-07-2009, 08:45 PM

I get literally bumped out of my seat on bumpy roads with the stock suspension... did you have a swaybar/strut bar on when you were running stock suspension? I've found the stock suspension to be very good, now I feel like a noob :o

My only problem with the stock suspension is that the rebound is too slow and I get so much damn brake float

Crapdaz
21-07-2009, 07:51 AM
^ agreed.

tony1234
21-07-2009, 12:54 PM
I get literally bumped out of my seat on bumpy roads with the stock suspension... did you have a swaybar/strut bar on when you were running stock suspension? I've found the stock suspension to be very good, now I feel like a noob :o

My only problem with the stock suspension is that the rebound is too slow and I get so much damn brake float
I installed RSB when i still had stock shocks and installed strut brace after i replaced my OEM shocks/springs.

rodericb
21-07-2009, 09:25 PM
Mine is standard and feels reasonably soft, compared to my Integra. If it's feeling harsh and you can feel every little bump you could drop the tyre pressures slightly and maybe get some tyres with more compliant sidewalls? I don't think you could get any damper with softer settings than standard - I remember things such as the Koni yellows softest setting was harder than a typical OEM damper (had them in my old Alfa GTV).

Accord Basic
01-08-2009, 01:26 AM
I would be saying that most of the coilover is stiffer than stock. even the lowered springs and shock combo.
if you feel the car is uncomfortable. softer the suspension may give you worse situation as euro is heavy.
Try to get 16" rims and play with tyre pressure. if you put 18" rims on will give you more vibration to the car. 16" rims will give you better ride and comfortable on rough road. I did use both size and I can feel the different.

if you want lower the car. get a set of lowered springs (H&R sport) and Rear Sway Bar and Rear camber kit (must need if you lowered Euro).

I believe that the stock springs (F=4k, R=2.xk, correct me if i am wrong).

_Vtekn_
06-08-2009, 09:26 PM

I Agree 100% with Tony1234,

Eibach Prokit/bilstein are excellent combo, Have had in my car for last 12 months and are excellent.

I actually will be selling the combo shortly due getting new company car.

tony1234
07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
I Agree 100% with Tony1234,

Eibach Prokit/bilstein are excellent combo, Have had in my car for last 12 months and are excellent.

I actually will be selling the combo shortly due getting new company car.
I told you you'd like it!You'll have no problem selling them.PM integral90(Liam).I'm sure he'd be interested.

integral90
07-08-2009, 12:26 PM
I told you you'd like it!You'll have no problem selling them.PM integral90(Liam).I'm sure he'd be interested.

Hehe, already got the Koni Yellows with the Eibach springs. I'd say the Konis and the Bilsteins would be basically the same in terms of quality and performance, right?

aaronng
07-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Hehe, already got the Koni Yellows with the Eibach springs. I'd say the Konis and the Bilsteins would be basically the same in terms of quality and performance, right?

I :love: Bilsteins more than Koni. But Koni is a little stiffer.

_Vtekn_
07-08-2009, 07:13 PM

LOL Yeah you did!!!,

seriously though they were great, really suit the euro.:thumbsup:

tony1234
07-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Yeah,i dont think there's much in it.What do you think of Konis??

SPQR
07-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Yes, i will go to the next meet and have a look around.

Dont get me wrong, i have driven a lot of cars (a bloody lot) and aside from the WRX the Euro is right up there in the firm department. Mind you i have a couple of young kids and one of them isn't a fan of being chucked all over the place on Adelaide's shit roads. The other cars i had seemed to soak up the bumps much better.

Adelaide has particularly rough roads because of the highly reactive clay soils that shrink and expand with the seasons. The roads look more like roller coasters! It also doesn't help that there are about a dozen seismic fault lines in greater Adelaide.

I too think that the Euro has a firm ride. My MY97 WRX seemed to have a better ride. It's a shame that suspension tuning companies think that anyone that wants to "upgrade" their car's suspension is after a bum-steer.

As for Bilstein gas dampers, I had a set on a previous car once and they were great because of the control they had over the violent rantings of the springs.

The X Man
09-08-2009, 12:23 AM
I too think that the Euro has a firm ride.

Yep, mine has rattles coming from every bloody where now and it's just turned 1 Year old. I have been test driving quite a few cars lately and every one of them so far is a better drive then the Euro.

That said i have pretty well given up on all the continual problems i have had and are still having with the car and are now looking to get rid of it. Honda can shove their "quality" cars right up their ass.

SPQR
11-08-2009, 10:03 PM
The CU2 Euro, however, has better ride than the CL9.

Rob_A
21-08-2009, 09:22 PM
Yep, mine has rattles coming from every bloody where now and it's just turned 1 Year old. I have been test driving quite a few cars lately and every one of them so far is a better drive then the Euro.

That said i have pretty well given up on all the continual problems i have had and are still having with the car and are now looking to get rid of it. Honda can shove their "quality" cars right up their ass.

There's far worse out there. Are you riding on 16's or 17's. I find the low profile 17's give a firmer ride then the 16's. Regular comparsion I get with mum's euro.

An example was my laser years ago was lowered etc with 18's I had a set of 15's on for when I went to wsid with it. Like driving another car, so much smoother over bumps and everything.

Rob

The X Man
21-08-2009, 09:32 PM
There's far worse out there.

Of course there is but i didn't spend nearly 40K 1yr ago to buy a rattle shop on wheels. I'm sure you too would be pissed if it was your car. BTW, mine is stock.

Rob_A
22-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Of course there is but i didn't spend nearly 40K 1yr ago to buy a rattle shop on wheels. I'm sure you too would be pissed if it was your car. BTW, mine is stock.

Have you been back to the dealer about it? I used to work for a honda dealer and have driven loads of these. Only difference I found between the one's with 17's to 16's was a little bit harsher over bumps with the low profile tyres and tracks the road a bit.

What are your tyre pressure's at? maybe drop them and see if that makes things smoother. Dropping to something like 30-35psi and see if there is improvement.

Rob

10KRPM
23-08-2009, 06:46 PM
Honda's quality control is right up there but maybe you just happened to be the unfortunate one to get the odd lemon. When you say rattles and creaks....specifically what are they?

aaronng
23-08-2009, 08:12 PM
Any car will rattle and creak if you drive on bad enough roads.

A Ferrari rattles very badly btw!

SPQR
23-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Any car will rattle and creak if you drive on bad enough roads.

A Ferrari rattles very badly btw!

I've only experienced this in the Targa top Ferrari (sorry, the plural of Ferrari is Ferrari) and it was only over rough roads. Otherwise they're as stiff as a.........

aaronng
23-08-2009, 11:16 PM
I've only experienced this in the Targa top Ferrari (sorry, the plural of Ferrari is Ferrari) and it was only over rough roads. Otherwise they're as stiff as a.........

Testarossa..... plus the engine sounded and smelled like a giant powerul lawn mower.

Accord Basic
21-10-2009, 08:24 PM
anyone heard DTM suspension? is this brand good?

tony1234
22-10-2009, 06:37 AM
anyone heard DTM suspension? is this brand good?
They are coilovers which from what i heard about them due to their spring rate are better suited for the track than street.