PDA

View Full Version : upgrading brakes--brands,specs,costs

paps02
22-07-2009, 11:19 PM
my brake pads are on their way out so where and how can i upgrade my brake system to suit for when i one day put the car on the track..

im currently running the stock rear drums and stock front (242mm i think) discs..

would a starting point be to find larger, slotted rotors for the front and some bigger callipers then some good set of pads and leave it at that?
what are best bang for buck brands for these parts

or

my other option is to get discs all round. as i dont know much about brake conversion does anyone know links for this conversion that i can read up on and narrow down what im asking here.

looking for the bang for buck sollution guys.

EK1.6LCIV
23-07-2009, 09:26 AM
my brake pads are on their way out so where and how can i upgrade my brake system to suit for when i one day put the car on the track..

im currently running the stock rear drums and stock front (242mm i think) discs..

would a starting point be to find larger, slotted rotors for the front and some bigger callipers then some good set of pads and leave it at that?

or

my other option is to get discs all round. as i dont know much about brake conversion does anyone know links for this conversion that i can read up on and narrow down what im asking here.

stock fronts for the EJ are 262 :)
Id go with some dba 4000 series rotors (slotted 6x6) and oem pads (I have them, they work well, bolt up perfect and are $450 for rotors and $130 for pads then another $60-100 for labour from a mech)

as for the rear conversion, youd be better off leaving the drums (less hassel finding a conversion then installing it lol)

paint ur rear drums black again after you do the front, win win bang for buck :)

paps02
23-07-2009, 09:30 AM
yer im in talks with Andy at AK now.. saying the same thing, rear discs not needed..

have u got rotors ryan? never took notice

aaronng
23-07-2009, 09:30 AM
For DBA rotors, contact vsport's Brissy branch for a quote. http://www.vsport.com.au/contactus.php

I paid 4000 front blank and rear street blanks for a total of $510 for both front and rear discs. So they should be able to get you a good price for front 4000 slotted.

paps02
23-07-2009, 09:43 AM
wat size rotors do you have aarong? if stock i have 262 wat size would be best upgrade.(i got 17"s so plenty of room

wat callipers u running?

aaronng
23-07-2009, 09:55 AM
wat size rotors do you have aarong? if stock i have 262 wat size would be best upgrade.(i got 17"s so plenty of room

wat callipers u running?
Mine's a totally different car. But the price that I paid was for 300mm front and 260mm rears.

Why don't you consider going for more aggressive pads first, rather than spending a big amount of money up front on a caliper upgrade? I have gone from OEM to street sports to sports pads, and it is a world of difference between the street sports and sports pads. So going from OEM to sports pads could be a big improvement. I'm using Project Mu NR pads now.

The plus side on upgrading the pads first is that you can keep using your current front rotors if they are still within thickness spec and not warped nor grooved badly.

mr180sx
23-07-2009, 10:18 AM
If i were you george.

Just change to decent brake pads and run some good brake fluid and thats it.

Thats all you'll need;):thumbsup:

or

EK1.6LCIV
23-07-2009, 10:18 AM
use stock calipers :)
and dba is cheaper at supercheap than anywhere else in qld :)
just order them from cannonhill mate near the bunnings, takes 2days to get them in after leaving $100 deposit

no need for decent fluid, oem gear works fine

just make sure when u order them specify

EX US model coupe with abs for 96-00

15s have plenty of room for air etc lol

aaronng
23-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Supercheap was more expensive for me. I'd say ask for a quote from both places and go for the one with better price if it is located close to home/work. Or get them to deliver it to you for some extra $$

The EJ8 with 262mm front rotors take the DBA 474 part number. If you want 4000 series slotted, then get one each of DBA 4474 SL and DBA 4474 SR. If you want 4000 series blanks, then get 2 pieces of DBA 4474. If you want just street ones, then DBA 474.

EK1.6LCIV
23-07-2009, 11:03 AM
dba's site has good info

I just picked these rotors up as theyre good dailies and track rotors :)

mr180sx
23-07-2009, 12:00 PM
Im surprised you didnt keep your oem disc brakes Ryan!

Since your such a OEM man

paps02
23-07-2009, 12:27 PM
Why don't you consider going for more aggressive pads first, rather than spending a big amount of money up front on a caliper upgrade?

well thats true i dont need to do everything the same time. but i only want to do things once.if it means i can keep oem calliper and just invest on a new set of pads then im all for that. but i definently want to get big rotors.

so maybe bigger slotted rotors + oem calliper for now + good pads. then look to upgrade callipers down the track?
can i stick my oem callipers on any rotors or does it need to be a specific make?? im not very familiar with what goes on

90LAN
23-07-2009, 12:41 PM
well
with your motor you have
you are currently in the shit if you get defected and sent to get inspected

h22 needs at least 282 fronts and 262 rears to be engineered for your current motor

you would be stupid to use your existing brakes on the track even if you did upgrade the rotors, pads, fluids

they would fade after one lap and say hello to the wall at the end of the straight

paps02
23-07-2009, 12:48 PM
well
with your motor you have

h22 needs at least 282 fronts and 262 rears to be engineered for your current motor

you would be stupid to use your existing brakes on the track even if you did upgrade the rotors, pads, fluids

they would fade after one lap and say hello to the wall at the end of the straight

so with that in mind how do i go about sourcing a 4 disc conversion? what parts required, obdviously bigger booster and master. what cars should i be looking to find the gear off??

chargeR
23-07-2009, 12:49 PM
well
with your motor you have

No.

The stock brakes on most cars can be made to work well even with significant power uprades. The right pad choice, some good quality fluid will do wonders if the braking system is in otherwise good condition.

My advice would be to stick with the calipers you have, and the rotors you have if they are still adequately thick, then change to a track oriented pad for the track and flush the system with a high temperature fluid such as Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF. Having done that and tested it on track if you have fade issues then consider either:

Upgrading caliper and rotor size to gain more heat capacity and more braking torque for a given pedal pressure

Going to a higher temp pad

paps02
23-07-2009, 12:51 PM
ur right. but it wont get me around the inspection if it ever happens

90LAN
23-07-2009, 12:54 PM
No.

The stock brakes on most cars can be made to work well even with significant power uprades. The right pad choice, some good quality fluid will do wonders if the braking system is in otherwise good condition.

My advice would be to stick with the calipers you have, and the rotors you have if they are still adequately thick, then change to a track oriented pad for the track and flush the system with a high temperature fluid such as Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF. Having done that and tested it on track if you have fade issues then consider either:

Upgrading caliper and rotor size to gain more heat capacity and more braking torque for a given pedal pressure

Going to a higher temp pad

i guess you didnt read what motor he had did you
so you are saying his drum brakes are good ?
and that he has a legal car atm ?
with the incorrect brake set up fot his current motor
he needs to get the brakes engineered for it to be a legal conversion
and he needs the brakes similiar or better that came from the donor car he got the motor from

chargeR
23-07-2009, 12:57 PM
ur right. but it wont get me around the inspection if it ever happens

Ah if that is the case then it is up to you, sorry I am not very aware of the rules up your way. Just be aware that messing with the brake system has the potential to significantly increase the distance the car will require to stop from a given speed even though the brakes might feel better. Any decent engineer should be aware of this and should require more significant upgrades than just 'bigger front rotors and rear discs" :thumbsup:.

chargeR
23-07-2009, 12:59 PM
i guess you didnt read what motor he had did you
so you are saying his drum brakes are good ?
and that he has a legal car atm ?
with the incorrect brake set up fot his current motor
he needs to get the brakes engineered for it to be a legal conversion
and he needs the brakes similiar or better that came from the donor car he got the motor from

Sorry I didn't consider what motor the fellow had and the legalities of it. I was simply recommending a bang for buck track solution as requested in the original post ;).

paps02
23-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Sorry I didn't consider what motor the fellow had and the legalities of it. I was simply recommending a bang for buck track solution as requested in the original post ;).

dw man not even I considerd the legalities :) thankyou lan. now i defs will need to go the 4disc

EK1.6LCIV
23-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Im surprised you didnt keep your oem disc brakes Ryan!

Since your such a OEM man

didnt come with oem disc brakes, and the ones I bought were fked...

wouldnt bother unless I go down goldy in the near future for proper parts

buddy of mine down south rigged up 282 up front, 262 rear in a hybrid way

now is a good time to save for 5 stud imo and where itd be worthwhile

even tho your brakes are excellent anyhow, didnt sense any fade

Benson
23-07-2009, 03:44 PM
Get a Ek4 or dc2 vtir front and rear brake conversion. More than enough with decent pads and rotors. Also remember to upgrade the MC and BB

EK1.6LCIV
23-07-2009, 05:10 PM
just book it in down goldy for it, they have all the parts there, Ill be doing that in the coming months when Im back :)

paps02
23-07-2009, 05:22 PM
called my mechanic, had a talk about brakes etc. he told me that unless the new engine exceeds a certain percentage power increase from the old one i dont need to worry about brakes. and that i dont need to worry about it and to do what i want.. he did say that if i wanted to muck around with rotors and callipers etc thats when mod plates need to come into it etc

so lan im interested in ur theory as i know ALOT of ppl say that as a rule of thumb to have same brake setup as the car ur engine is from but is it real(for legality not practicality) ?

aaronng
23-07-2009, 06:08 PM
called my mechanic, had a talk about brakes etc. he told me that unless the new engine exceeds a certain percentage power increase from the old one i dont need to worry about brakes. and that i dont need to worry about it and to do what i want.. he did say that if i wanted to muck around with rotors and callipers etc thats when mod plates need to come into it etc

so lan im interested in ur theory as i know ALOT of ppl say that as a rule of thumb to have same brake setup as the car ur engine is from but is it real(for legality not practicality) ?

Did you ask what that percentage of power increase is? If you went from a d16 to h22, you'd be looking at going from 88kW to 147kW which is a 67% increase.

90LAN
23-07-2009, 06:24 PM

your car your money your licence
up to you what you want to do
i know what i would do

paps02
23-07-2009, 06:38 PM
man im just asking for the sake of the discussion..

and aarong he just not to worry about it. and that a cop wouldnt know the formula anywya

mr180sx
23-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Lan is right about the same car same brakes rule.

But most cops wouldnt have a clue. Not to sure about PITS though.

Like i said before. Brake pads and brake fluid is all you'll need:thumbsup:

paps02
23-07-2009, 06:51 PM
nah theres a ratio and formula that comes into play for the brakes and getting them engineerd.. has to do with engine capacity, gearbox, rotor, calliper blablabla.. ofcourse lan is right to say if u got the orginal brakes you would be right. because obdviously that would meet the formula

Like i said before. Brake pads and brake fluid is all you'll need:thumbsup:

looking at prices. might be the way to go lol

90LAN
23-07-2009, 07:11 PM
well a good start is to have all disc, mc,booster , and prop vavle

dont do half hearted shit

aaronng
23-07-2009, 07:39 PM
man im just asking for the sake of the discussion..

and aarong he just not to worry about it. and that a cop wouldnt know the formula anywya
Up to you if you want to go that route, but I suspect that you won't get much sympathy from the other members if you post up that you've been defected for undersized brakes. :)

Benson
23-07-2009, 08:48 PM
That rule sorta applies, but your car is lighter, hence you dont need the same size (braking capacity) compare to the lude chasis. They usually have a brake tester.

paps02
23-07-2009, 11:01 PM
dont do half hearted shit

too true. i goto do a bit more searching and learning before i choose the correct setup. but il keep posting up what i find and hopefully build on that with the feedback

EK1.6LCIV
24-07-2009, 09:03 AM
Im looking forward to seeing which route you go with :)

seriously consider going to the bloke I mentioned down goldy, $750 includes fitment and supply of rear conversion and a brake bleed, from a shop that offers a warranty and no bs

you dont need a mc/bc in the install, I have a quote sheet from them already, its a simple as taking the day off and booking it in from mon-fri :)

then upgrade to dba 4000 6x6 rotors and you are done, finished as in an ek4 this swap is legal and has been checked at pits on several occasions...

mr180sx
24-07-2009, 09:46 AM
^^Thats a bit steep just for a disc brake conversion!!

Anyways your money i guess!:thumbsup:

EK1.6LCIV
24-07-2009, 09:51 AM
^^Thats a bit steep just for a disc brake conversion!!

Anyways your money i guess!:thumbsup:

steep? as sif, steep is buying a conversion from someone, then getting new bushes fitted, paying for labour of bush install, then finding out it was fked, having to pay for the install/reinstall of old setup, thats fken steep

so go to a place that knows what their on about is my advice, and stop wasting time on 2nd hand shit without a warranty is another

vinnY
24-07-2009, 09:54 AM
drive down to syd and pickup my ek4 front and rear setup :p

EK1.6LCIV
24-07-2009, 09:56 AM

I prob will when Im down there :) if I have the room in the trunk of whatever car we take

mr180sx
24-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Woah!! Why so angry!

Just my opinion!:D

steep? as sif, steep is buying a conversion from someone, then getting new bushes fitted, paying for labour of bush install, then finding out it was fked, having to pay for the install/reinstall of old setup, thats fken steep

so go to a place that knows what their on about is my advice, and stop wasting time on 2nd hand shit without a warranty is another

EK1.6LCIV
24-07-2009, 11:29 AM
George buy from a shop :) **** anything else :)

paps02
24-07-2009, 01:44 PM

me drive down? or ryan drive down. il meet you halfway??? say, goldcoast?? haha

pm me price and pics