PDA

View Full Version : [CL9] Euro Audio mods - to play mp3s

jinx405
23-07-2009, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone... I'm new to these forums, so please dont flame me by my somewhat nooob questions :) I'm considering purchasing a friend's Accord Euro 04 Luxury (I currently drive a Civic EK9 2000). Unfortunately her car has the stock 6cd changer that does not play mp3s, and I would definitely upgrade the player if I buy her car. Questions:

1) Is there a way to install a new head unit without losing the current functionality (climate controls, etc etc) of the Accord Euro? How do I proceed with this?

2) Do I need to purchase a new facia unit for the front console?

3) Does the Accord Euro support double DIN head units?

4) How good are the stock speakers? I plan to buy a JVC head unit, a 4 channel amp, mono amp, and subs. Should I get new speakers as well? Any recommended setups by you guys?

I've been looking all over this forums and the internet for information on this but couldnt find much (I've also checked the sticky FAQ above - no luck)... apologies if this question has been posted/answered already. Any additional advice/tips will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

crunkman99
23-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Hi everyone... I'm new to these forums, so please dont flame me by my somewhat nooob questions :) I'm considering purchasing a friend's Accord Euro 04 Luxury (I currently drive a Civic EK9 2000). Unfortunately her car has the stock 6cd changer that does not play mp3s, and I would definitely upgrade the player if I buy her car. Questions:

1) Is there a way to install a new head unit without losing the current functionality (climate controls, etc etc) of the Accord Euro? How do I proceed with this?

2) Do I need to purchase a new facia unit for the front console?

3) Does the Accord Euro support double DIN head units?

4) How good are the stock speakers? I plan to buy a JVC head unit, a 4 channel amp, mono amp, and subs. Should I get new speakers as well? Any recommended setups by you guys?

I've been looking all over this forums and the internet for information on this but couldnt find much (I've also checked the sticky FAQ above - no luck)... apologies if this question has been posted/answered already. Any additional advice/tips will be greatly appreciated :)

Thanks in advance!

1. yea there is, u need to purchase a facia kit, u can get a double din or a single din facia kit, nad it repleaces the little compartment that flips out underneath the controls, u dont loose anything expect for sound coming from the stock head unit.

2. yea a new facia kit around 70? :s i think i cant remember, and easy to install ur self.

3. yea i have a single din, which i converted into a double din becasue it was going to take 7 weeks for the double din kit to come in and i couldnt wait lol.

4. i have stock speakers casue i baught a big sub first, 3200 watts. i tuned mine so the treble is very high and it sounds ok, but with out the bass its very dull from the sub. i got a double din alpine head unit, and it is sick, i will be getting new speakers soon but cbf with the time and money at the moment lol.

heres a few pics of my set ups in my euro

boot set up like this with the amp only viewed if the back seats are down
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x93/crunkman99/SNC00064.jpg

double din kit
http://i181.photobucket.com/albums/x93/crunkman99/SNC00049-1.jpg

i have the other pics of my old single din flip out screen wich wasnt so good as it hit the controls, and a pic of just a standard single din.

anything else haha?

aaronng
23-07-2009, 04:33 PM
Or get an xcarlink mp3 player unit, which allows you to plug in a thumbdrive loaded with mp3s. Controls for track select and volume on the steering wheel still work as normal as if you were using a CD.

r-r-redEuro
23-07-2009, 08:44 PM
Or get an xcarlink mp3 player unit, which allows you to plug in a thumbdrive loaded with mp3s. Controls for track select and volume on the steering wheel still work as normal as if you were using a CD.

^^ as above thats what im doing right now if you dont have the money to upgrade to the double din or new headunit. im waiting til i have money and upgraded my ICE system all together.

but upgrading to a new headunit loses your features with the steering wheel.

you can buy a facia kit to replace the stock headunit but i think you lose the dual climate control so yeah if youre not fussed with having the dual climate control then do it. IMO it looks better because youre making use of the space inside your car but some people think the stock headunit looks better.

crunkman99
23-07-2009, 08:52 PM
but upgrading to a new headunit loses your features with the steering wheel.

i wired my steering wheel so it still works with my head unit, only the volume tho.

jinx405
24-07-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks for all the help guys!!

crunkman : looks like you have a pretty awesome setup there :)
1) where can I get the $70-80 fascia kit from? A Honda dealer? Any links/shops? I only found one at ryda.com and they cost about $400, which I don’t think is the one you’re talking about…
2) good to hear that you steering wheel controls still work… is it hard to wire that up? Will any audio shop be able to do it for me?
3) so you reckon the stock speakers are good enough when the treble is set to high and paired up with a sub?
4) do you have pics of your single DIN setup? Thanks!

aaronng: I considered the xcarlink as well, but the problem is I already have many mp3 cds that I use with my current car, so I wanna keep using them. I figured I might as well mod all the way at once, instead of getting the xcarlink first and eventually modifying my system later on :)

r-r-redEuro: do I lose dual climate control with a new fascia? I didn’t know that... I’ll definitely consider that then. BTW your location says Sydney and car is “Mville stn+423 bus” – isn’t that Marrickville?? I’m pretty close to that area, and I’m around there a fair bit :)

Any recommended double DIN players out there? The JVC KW-XG706 looks pretty good to me... anyone here have one of them? Opinions?

r-r-redEuro
25-07-2009, 03:28 PM
yeah i live in that area. i drive a red euro (pretty obvious)
theres two fascia kits just to let you know incase you get confused. theres the one like crunkman99 where it goes on the bottom of your centre console and theres the other one i think ryda is selling for $400 which is the one that replaces the stock headunit compartment. (this is the fascia where you lose your dual climate control due to one of the features if for volume or somesort.)

p.s. crunkman can you write a DIY for that feature please ? im looking to upgrade my system with a doubledin at the bottom console like yours but would also i want to have my ssteering wheel features. thanks.

petertopa
28-07-2009, 11:54 PM
Hey jinx405,
Ive put a double din in mine, ill probably upload some photos soon.
You can get the Facia kit from Honda. Call them up and ask for spare parts. The part number is 08B06-SDE-700 and I think its about 70 or 80. They need to back order it from Acura and they say it can take up to I think 2 months but mine came in about 3 weeks.
Good luck. If you have any problems installing it, I may be able to help.

petertopa
30-07-2009, 02:04 AM
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/3863/dsc02941p.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3463/dsc02942a.jpg
http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/3755/dsc02946p.jpg

jinx405
30-07-2009, 01:33 PM
Hey jinx405,
Ive put a double din in mine, ill probably upload some photos soon.
You can get the Facia kit from Honda. Call them up and ask for spare parts. The part number is 08B06-SDE-700 and I think its about 70 or 80. They need to back order it from Acura and they say it can take up to I think 2 months but mine came in about 3 weeks.
Good luck. If you have any problems installing it, I may be able to help.

awesome stuff... thanks for the pics and the part number! i'll give honda a call in a few days time :)