PDA

View Full Version : Valves hitting the camshaft???

Kellogs
28-07-2009, 10:55 AM
Not sure if i should be posting this here.

Hi,

recentley my b18b integra died as i was driving ( started to chug as i pulled over it died ) i checked the oil since the oil light was on at me :( oh no - NO OIL, so i went and got some oil, put that in and turn the car over...... i get a loud tapping coming from under the rocket cover (t-tap t-tap t-tap) as it turns over NOT GOOD :eek: so i took it to the mechanic and they have said the valves are hitting the camshaft!?!?

What i was wondering is does this sound right?

and

Has anyone had this before if so how much did it cost for repair?

geeang
28-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Running with zero oil until it died?

I do not envy your soon to be repair bill.....

Kellogs
28-07-2009, 11:13 AM
Tell me about it, you would have any idea on the cost at all?

I really just need a rough figure so i can work stuff around.

imratedpg
28-07-2009, 11:15 AM
werent getting any oil on the tappets so it makes that loud tapping noise

Kellogs
28-07-2009, 11:26 AM
*imratedpg

Yeah I have heard of that after i did some research, but the thing is most of the research i did the cars could run mine trys to run and as its turning over a loud t-tap t-tap t-tap

1900-hustler
28-07-2009, 11:28 AM
pretty pricey man and its hard to say what damage was done to the internals..

id be lookin anywhere between 2.5k - 5k..

on a side note my dads friend landcruiser ran out of oil.. cost him 8k LOL

ewendc2r
28-07-2009, 11:30 AM
The tappets will be very loud if they have seized. They are about $20 each to replace, one per valve. Need more info on how the car is running now I guess.

1) it starts yeah?
2) it idles yeah?
3) when you drive it, is it normal power (approx?)
4) Does the noise go away when it revs a little higher?

more info mate happy to help.

ewendc2r
28-07-2009, 11:37 AM
btw -- Even if your car has run out of oil it can still be ok as long as the temps didn't get too high (which indicates its been running without oil for a period of time). IF you caught it in time and it still starts (hasn't seized) then you might be ok.

Otherwise new pistons / rings needed, at the same time you may as well get the whole lot done (i.e. bore & hone cylinder, new pistons (oversize), new rings, machine face of block, machine head, etc). Thats why its expensive, because by the time you get to fixing the engine internally you've already invested about 6 hours getting to that stage -- may as well do everything else while you're there).

imratedpg
28-07-2009, 11:54 AM
dont start the car

yourfather
28-07-2009, 12:09 PM
Hey man, good opportunity to upgrade that B18B to a B20 or something

GSi_PSi
28-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Slap in another b18b2 or b20b8 . They pretty cheap, shop around. I knoe of a wrecker that sells and installs them aswell . Pm Me if u want there details.

Or if u want to fix your current engine ive got 2 Perfect GSi heads very cheap lol

Kellogs
28-07-2009, 01:54 PM
*GSI PSI

I deffs keep that in mind as i might be in the market.

What type of condition are they in? Cheers

Kellogs
28-07-2009, 01:59 PM
*ewendc2r

The car will not run. It will turn over however it has a loud t-tap t-tap t-tap coming from in the head (area), there is spark, fuel, battery's fine, when the car did die there was no oil in the dip stick resviour, and i did try and turn it over same sound thats when i went and got some oil quick smart then it sounded like the car progressed a lil when trying to start but still the loud sound and no successfull start.

Thanks heaps for trying to help to :)

bennjamin
28-07-2009, 02:02 PM
no oil you obviously smashed a bottom end bearing or piston. its rebuild or new engine time.

taman
28-07-2009, 06:30 PM
just buy a 2nd hand engine dude, pick one up for about 500-800 (depending on condition/kms) + 300-500 labour.
good luck

Wace
30-07-2009, 06:01 PM
yeah not worth repairing that old motor, just get another motor to drop in or this could be a good reason to upgrade while your at it