PDA

View Full Version : Machining Disk Brakes

philby
28-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Hi Folks

I've recently put whacked on some 19" rims on my euro...
All seems to be ok, but recently noticed that my steering wobbles when I put on the brakes.

At first I thought my wheels needs aligning, but then the mechanic says that my disc are slightly warped.

anyone had similar thing happen? Would like to know how much it would cost to machine the discs so I dont get ripped.

aaronng
28-07-2009, 08:39 PM
How old is your Euro? How many kms have you had on your discs? Is your car a manual or auto?

It's not usually a warped disc that causes the wobbling in the Euro. It is caused by brake pad deposits left behind on the hot disc while you sit on the brakes at traffic lights or after you get off the freeway and slowing down from 100km/h to zero and then waiting on the brakes at the traffic lights. One way to solve the problem is to go for aftermarket pads.

curtis265
28-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Aaronng's genius shows yet again...

philby
28-07-2009, 09:32 PM
I have a 2005 Euro which has done 55K.
I'll take your advise and get the pads replaced first :)

Thanks for the tip.

dvsx
28-07-2009, 10:44 PM
if you end up having to get your discs machined. i got quote $16.50 a disc, thats you removing the the discs and bringing it to them to get machined. otherwise got quoted $90 for 2 discs and all labour done. :thumbsup:

petertopa
28-07-2009, 11:44 PM
Hey guys, haven't posted much on the forums but philby, Ive had the same problem. If you take the car to brakes plus they will do an inspection for free. I took mine there thinking it could be the pads but they said it was the disc's and they machined them. I'm not saying that what aaronng said is wrong but its worth getting them looked at for free and if you want them to switch your wheels around tell them when it up on the lift :). Cost me $80 there for a machine and recondition on the pads which I think means they just sanded the pads a bit. Good luck

tony1234
29-07-2009, 07:29 AM
How old is your Euro? How many kms have you had on your discs? Is your car a manual or auto?

It's not usually a warped disc that causes the wobbling in the Euro. It is caused by brake pad deposits left behind on the hot disc while you sit on the brakes at traffic lights or after you get off the freeway and slowing down from 100km/h to zero and then waiting on the brakes at the traffic lights. One way to solve the problem is to go for aftermarket pads.
He's right.Change to aftermarket pads and the problem should dissappear.

aaronng
29-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Hey guys, haven't posted much on the forums but philby, Ive had the same problem. If you take the car to brakes plus they will do an inspection for free. I took mine there thinking it could be the pads but they said it was the disc's and they machined them. I'm not saying that what aaronng said is wrong but its worth getting them looked at for free and if you want them to switch your wheels around tell them when it up on the lift :). Cost me $80 there for a machine and recondition on the pads which I think means they just sanded the pads a bit. Good luck

For $80, you can get a set of Bendix CT for the fronts. You don't need to change the rear pads, just the fronts. But if it solved the problem for you, that's fine. Just becareful about sitting at the lights with your foot on the brakes when the rotor is hot. The vibration will come back once the pad leaves deposits on the rotor again.

I have 85000km on mine, went for 5 or 6 trackdays and do lots of hard braking until the rotors turned blue in colour. But no warping or vibration because I was using Hawk pads on the original rotors. I only recently replaced the rotors because of grooving, but that's normal given how abused the brakes were. But I had no vibrations during braking ever.

petertopa
29-07-2009, 10:14 AM
Cheers, ill try to be careful about that.

doosra
07-09-2009, 12:05 PM
hey guys.. i took my car for a service on the weekend and was told the front pads needed replacing.. the steering wheel is shaking as well.. and i need to machine the disc..

i was quoted $180 for Brake Pad's for my 04 Euro and also $80 for machining the disc.. it was all up $280 (inc gst) for labour & parts..

Does this sound right.. ?

aaronng
07-09-2009, 02:27 PM
I'd prefer aftermarket pads than OEM.

doosra
07-09-2009, 05:11 PM
how much are aftermarket pads and what brand are they ?

Samsonite
07-09-2009, 08:10 PM
Hi Folks

I've recently put whacked on some 19" rims on my euro...
All seems to be ok, but recently noticed that my steering wobbles when I put on the brakes.

At first I thought my wheels needs aligning, but then the mechanic says that my disc are slightly warped.

anyone had similar thing happen? Would like to know how much it would cost to machine the discs so I dont get ripped.

I had the same issue with my 2003 CL euro, I had my mechanic machine my breaks and problem solved!!!! not too sure how much it cost me...im thinking around $90...but it fixes the vibration problem

EG5
07-09-2009, 08:55 PM
RDA brand new discs is not expensive at all , might aswell buy a new one

doosra
08-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Are RDA brakes better than OEM Honda brakes.. ? any idea on cost?

dtngo
08-09-2009, 09:53 AM
While were on the topic, how hard is it to replace the pad on the Euro? Easy DIY'er? I had no probs with my previous car, and the Euro may need replacements at the end of year.

tony1234
08-09-2009, 06:12 PM
While were on the topic, how hard is it to replace the pad on the Euro? Easy DIY'er? I had no probs with my previous car, and the Euro may need replacements at the end of year.
Front or rear?Front is dead easy.There's a DIY here somewhere.

sodhi90
08-09-2009, 06:43 PM
yeah fronts just require 2 bolts to be removed, i think the rears require a special tool to wind in the piston , or you will need to bleed the lines to push the piston back in . correct me if I'm wrong..

doosra
08-09-2009, 07:46 PM
if it's that easy to replace the front... i might do it myself.. does anyone have link to DIY?

can someone also advise on the following as i was quoted $180 for pads + fitting which is a bit expensive:

-what brake pads to buy? (good ones and value for money)
-where to buy?
-what is the cost of these?

Chriskoss
08-09-2009, 08:02 PM
sounds right to me man, 280 for 4 new pads and machine 4 discs, cant complain

doosra
08-09-2009, 08:20 PM
sounds right to me man, 280 for 4 new pads and machine 4 discs, cant complain

it's 280 just for the front brake pads and front disc machined.. not all 4.

aaronng
08-09-2009, 08:50 PM

If you have replaced pads on another car before, it'll be the same for the Euro. The rear piston needs to be rotated clockwise while being pushed in.

fabian0
08-09-2009, 09:16 PM
my mechanic charged me $17 cash for machining each disc including labour. if u're gonna pay more than $100, i'd suggest like everyone else that you get a pair of slotted discs.

doosra
08-09-2009, 09:18 PM
i'm assuming you'd have to remove the disc yourself? if not, care to share where?

fabian0
09-09-2009, 07:42 PM
i'm in Perth. well he's got a workshop and works on his own. leave the car with him and he does the rest. i've sent my car pretty often to him, hence probably the good price. quick, honest & efficient. Cash only payment FTW!