PDA

View Full Version : civic eg as a first car?

timmy_honda
28-07-2009, 09:12 PM
hi all...this is like my first post...
so yea...im lookin for a Honda (first car)
and really interested in the civic eg
but i no nothin about them
and would it be too old to drive? its like 15-20 yrs old hey
well..im guna drive it at least 4 yrs if theres no probs
so yea~ i need advice pls guys
and i want an auto...manual seems hard...lol (on my Ls)

Red_EG4
28-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Yep they are a great first car if you get one that has been looked after.
Learn manual it's worth it.

Xen
28-07-2009, 09:49 PM
Yep they are a great first car if you get one that has been looked after.
Learn manual it's worth it.

qft!!

don't give up, in the end its definately worth it.

eeKayFouR
28-07-2009, 10:00 PM
manual may seem hard, but its not! Like everyone else is saying, it's definitely worth learning manual :)

Also, civic eg would be an awesome first car :p small, easy to drive, good on fuel etc. etc. it'll do nicely as a first! :D Honda's are also known for their reliability! Whether or not it will last you 4 years is up to how well you treat it ;)

IndoStyler
28-07-2009, 10:10 PM
eg civcs are nice first cars man...even if they werent looked after...u can always do an engine conversion hehehe...but all in all should be very reliable if well looked after from previous owner....shouldnt matter if its a 20 yr old car or not...most honda engines still run strong even when they get to 300k+

u can easily make the car look nice too with simple mods

plus u should learn manual...u'll be more satisfied at the end of the day if u've learnt how to drive it

ITRfaithful
28-07-2009, 10:14 PM
my 94 EG had 308,000+ km on the d15 when i purchased it. was running great with awesome fuel economy (500-600 km per tank).

ninzee
28-07-2009, 10:16 PM
yea i started off auto bigg mistake you get so bored and manuals so easy 2 pick up i learnt in 2days in my civic

geekface
28-07-2009, 10:19 PM
eg civic is my first car and its great. reliable and fuel efficient! perfect for anyone who goes to school and is low on money.

definately go for manual license! i started off with an auto and just recently changed over. its so much better.

dvsx
28-07-2009, 10:35 PM
my 94 EG had 308,000+ km on the d15 when i purchased it. was running great with awesome fuel economy (500-600 km per tank).

exactly the same here. despite the high km's, never had a problem with it. good first car and as everyones saying, go manual! i struggled with it for a while learning but it becomes second nature :thumbsup:

Terryfying
28-07-2009, 10:46 PM
i had the gl eg for quite a while...relatively high ks...but never had a problem...always fired up 1st time...never broke down ..drove to melb and qld from sydney and back...500ks or so out of a full tank...best car ever...

G-Stick
28-07-2009, 10:46 PM
EG's FTMFW

they are a sick car. even for a 2nd or third car

EK1.6LCIV
29-07-2009, 09:48 AM
theyre a great first car, good for commuting, lost alot of value so in terms of selling it off when youre off your ps to buy a big v8 or a turbo charged car with more killawasps you wont loss much if at all money,

they run on the smell of an oily rag, easy to fix in your own garage, just buy one that has had its timing belt & water pump already replaced, save you money and in the long run you'll have one less thing to worry about

iwantvtec
29-07-2009, 09:59 AM
ive had 2 egs. Never regreted any moment of it. Easy to park. Good economy. Easy to mod. Never hard to source parts. and in future you are open to engine conversions. though the d series motors r gutless. my one never missed a beat. Plus the look on dudes faces whhen u rip em in an eco box is fkn priceless. Specially fully sick nissans.

G-Stick
29-07-2009, 11:00 AM
yea.. i got mine 3 yr's ago for 4k and now the prices are still the same.. if not more O_O

sinseven
29-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Like you said your on your l's your not expected to get the hang of manual straight away...its not as hard as you think and like most guys have posted manual is worth it and the car is def worth it..but at the end of the day its all up to you

hussLEr
29-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Would also recommend a civic as a first car, EG or EK, doesn't matter.

Cheap to run and maintain. Prices are occasionally dearer for parts, but I see it as a small premium for the reliability the civic offers.

Learn manual. When I first started, I found it difficult also; bunny hopped and performed a few accidental wheel spins off the lights. But there's added benefit over an auto that you'll gain from mastering the stick; engine braking, heel-toe, being 'zippier' in traffic and something that I've noticed is that it's also better on fuel.

Good luck.

ps. try and get an EFI EG. :thumbsup: