PDA

View Full Version : CL9 2000 rpm vibration

kingfisher29
30-07-2009, 09:29 PM
Yes, I know there is another post on this forum about this matter, and yes, I've read it and tried those methods people mentioned on that post (adjusting rubber stops, etc ), but the vibration is still there.

I've tried a few different things that I've read on the net but it's still there. But I've notice the following though,

If I do the following;

- push the clutch pedal down and just rev it, no vibration
- leave gear in neutral, not press clutch pedal and rev it, no vibration
- take off and actually driving the car, vibration around 2000 rpm, vibration will still occur in 2nd and 3rd gear it does go pass the 2000 rpm.

I do have an Injen CAI installed and 5zigen complete exhaust system, single pipe not twin. using Exedy clutch. the car has done about 45,000km. When I fill up I only use 98. It's a 04 Euro Lux model btw.

Want to know if there are any Euro owners out there with the similar mods/setup with mine, and if you have that vibration? And if you have that vibration around 2000 rpm, did you find out what was causing it? And what did you do to fix it?

Thanks in advance.

felixd
31-07-2009, 09:59 AM
prolly engine mounts ?

unity
31-07-2009, 10:06 AM
prolly engine mounts ?

Probably not if it's the same vibration I have as I have had my mounts checked and all is fine. This problems occurs at a very specific RPM and if it was a mount problem you would expected it to be a much wider RPM band.

Just wondering whether your car had this same characteristic before the mods?

aaronng
31-07-2009, 11:15 AM
It is caused by intake resonance. Change to an aftermarket intake and it goes away. It does vibrate throughout the WHOLE rpm range with some aftermarket intakes though.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86523&highlight=euro+vibration
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13146&highlight=euro+vibration

kingfisher29
31-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Probably not if it's the same vibration I have as I have had my mounts checked and all is fine. This problems occurs at a very specific RPM and if it was a mount problem you would expected it to be a much wider RPM band.

Just wondering whether your car had this same characteristic before the mods?

well, i don't know, coz i bought the car 2nd hand, the it's already got those mods on.

kingfisher29
31-07-2009, 02:06 PM
It is caused by intake resonance. Change to an aftermarket intake and it goes away. It does vibrate throughout the WHOLE rpm range with some aftermarket intakes though.

i've already got the Injen CAI at the moment.....should i just take it off and put it back on to see if it would make any difference???

kingfisher29
31-07-2009, 02:12 PM

i've read those post before, i think the only thing that i haven't tried is take to Honda to get it looked at.........do you think i should do that?

aaronng
31-07-2009, 02:20 PM
i've read those post before, i think the only thing that i haven't tried is take to Honda to get it looked at.........do you think i should do that?

They won't find anything. They couldn't find anything wrong with mine in 2004. It is just a resonance frequency.

unity
31-07-2009, 02:32 PM
They won't find anything. They couldn't find anything wrong with mine in 2004. It is just a resonance frequency.

If that's what it is why don't the dealers just say so? No dealer has ever explained it as a resonance frequency.

And wouldn't more drivers be complaining about this, especially autos, because driving on the freeways at 100km/hr the RPM hovers around this 2000 RPM mark and is most noticeable?

aaronng
31-07-2009, 03:59 PM
If that's what it is why don't the dealers just say so? No dealer has ever explained it as a resonance frequency.

And wouldn't more drivers be complaining about this, especially autos, because driving on the freeways at 100km/hr the RPM hovers around this 2000 RPM mark and is most noticeable?

Manual gearboxes and auto gearboxes have their own resonance frequency. My opinion is that the manual gearbox's resonance frequency is closer to the engine than the auto gearbox, so you get a stronger vibration.

kingfisher29
31-07-2009, 09:25 PM
So it seems that's a very common problem with the CL9 both on auto and manual. The vibration is from the intake pipe isn't it? Are there anything that i can do to make the sound go away???

Crapdaz
31-07-2009, 10:31 PM
try removing the intake and see if it causes the same vibrations.
cause i think most pod filters will make the vibration within the car greater, especially when you in vtec.

can you elaborate more on this vibration as is it a bearable vibration/light or it's too intense?
If its not annoying then it should be fine.

kingfisher29
02-08-2009, 12:37 AM
try removing the intake and see if it causes the same vibrations.
cause i think most pod filters will make the vibration within the car greater, especially when you in vtec.

can you elaborate more on this vibration as is it a bearable vibration/light or it's too intense?
If its not annoying then it should be fine.

well, it is bearable, it sounds metalish. a bit high pitch. sounds like something small is rattling.

once you pass the 2000rpm mark you can't really hear it, or may be got covered by the exhaust noise and if i have music on normal volume not too loud just loud enough to hear the lyrics, you can't really notice it, unless you're focused to hear that noise. At least my gf didn't notice it until i told her about it.

May be I'm a bit picky on the Euro (for me it is a big upgrade from a 95 EG civic), but of course if i can get rid of it and it will be perfect.

I want to keep the CAI and don't want to revert back to the stock air box.

felixd
02-08-2009, 02:13 AM
hmm maybe its ur headers heat shield ?

tony1234
02-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Check the heatshield on the cat.It may be loose.

hooyn
02-08-2009, 03:06 PM
my heatshield is loose and it rattles cause of my new exhaust however, i can distinctly hear that heat shield ratttle since its right beneath the passenger foot spaces.

theres still another rattle coming from the engine bay.

kingfisher29
02-08-2009, 08:47 PM
ummm....haven't check that yet....will give it a go

Crapdaz
03-08-2009, 11:05 AM
as above check heatshield + the intake mounting points.

quenjose
03-08-2009, 11:27 AM
i would check for anything thats loose in your engine bay... and/or exhaust mounts.

aftermarket intakes n exhausts create alot more resonance than their stock equivalents.

Anything loose would rattle or vibrate if the resonance is strong enough.
i.e. interior trim, speaker brackets... loose bolts

Even the coins in my ashtray would rattle sometimes from resonance.

kingfisher29
03-08-2009, 08:36 PM
the sound it's more like from the engine bay, as it is really clear to hear it if i take off with the windows down.

i'll just to go to the mechanic this weekend may be and lift it up to have a look.

hope i can find out which part is loose.

E_Honda
04-08-2009, 09:42 AM
I've got an 04 luxury as well and only get buzzing sound that could be vibration in the engine bay like you mentioned before. This only happens at 2K rpm as well, this problem starts as soon as the car warms and only on deceleration at 2K rpm, push the clutch in and noise goes away.

I had Injen CAI before and now back to stock air intake and problem has been there the whole time, both before and now.

I've posted this problem a while ago, pretty sure its similar to yours kingfisher29, and now its just pissin me off and wanna get it fixed.

kingfisher29
04-08-2009, 07:13 PM
I've got an 04 luxury as well and only get buzzing sound that could be vibration in the engine bay like you mentioned before. This only happens at 2K rpm as well, this problem starts as soon as the car warms and only on deceleration at 2K rpm, push the clutch in and noise goes away.

I had Injen CAI before and now back to stock air intake and problem has been there the whole time, both before and now.

I've posted this problem a while ago, pretty sure its similar to yours kingfisher29, and now its just pissin me off and wanna get it fixed.

umm.....that's interesting. because when i decelerate i don't get that vibration rattle. on my euro, the vibration rattle is a bit obvious around the 2krpm when i accelerate.

can wait til i have time to take the car to the mechanic to get it looked at.

Bobcool
06-11-2010, 11:49 PM
Hi kingfisher29, have you found the reason for the vibration? Cause I expecienced the same thing recently and no idea what to do!

biee2
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
hrmmm will take my car for a spin and see if i can pick up on this rattle, i have cai aswell and i remember when i just installed it there was a weird sound. cant remember exactly how it sounded coz its been awhile but it was basically the metal intake piping rattling against the sides of the hole that the pod sits under (dont kno if that makes sense) but yeah i got some soft foam lik tapping and stuck it where the pipping was touching the metal frame and i think its stop coz i dont notice anything with my car when i drive it. im not sure if its the same problem your having or not.