PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Ceramics pads

s4029768
31-07-2009, 01:41 PM
Hi Guys

Just got my front rotor machined and fitted with hawk ceramics. Was going to follow the bedding in process from Heeltoe auto, however the brake guy said not to do so because it was leave deposits on rotors??

I don't know who to believe....anybody got any experience bedding in Hawk ceramics. Should I start the bedding in process straight away or wait a little bit??

Min988
31-07-2009, 04:52 PM
hawks pads need hardcore bedding in order to stop at their maximum potential drove around for about 20kms after bedding them in lightly and was unimpressed, then bedded them in going from 80km to 15km 5 times, I bedded my hawks hps on fresh machined rotors, left a small pencil like dust line which i can live with, for braking performance, I probably should have waited a bit.

Crapdaz
31-07-2009, 11:00 PM
it took me 1-2 months to wear in hawk + powerslot slotted rotors. :)

took me forever, always thought i was going to rear end another car.
BED IT IN IS A MUST.

IF YOU GO HAWK YOU WILL HAVE ALOT OF BRAKE DUST! ELSE CHANGE FROM HAWK.
WITH HAWK YOU'LL NEED TO PUSH THE BRAKE HARDER THAN ON STOCKS FOR THE SAME REACTION.

Follow the hawk instructions but do mainly 80-20km slams, and until you feel the pads grip better.

power_of_dreams
01-08-2009, 02:56 PM
for hawk ceramics you won't need to wear them in as much as hps/hp+.
a couple of 60kmh brake runs should do it.

aaronng
01-08-2009, 04:26 PM
I used Hawk Ceramics for 3.5 years. You need to follow the bed in procedure. And no, it doesn't leave deposits on the rotors.

racerwannabe
03-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Aaron would you recommend the ceramics or HPS for street use?

Crapdaz
04-08-2009, 07:53 AM
HPS are more than enough for street, only downfall is the brake dust.

aaronng
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
Aaron would you recommend the ceramics or HPS for street use?

I haven't use the HPS. I liked the Ceramics. If you bed them in, they are as good as the OEM pads on initial bite and when you push the brake pedal harder, you get more stopping force than OEM. The brake dust is brown in colour and is very obvious-looking on the rims, but is very easily washed off with some diluted dynamo or cold power liquid laundry detergent in a spray bottle and a rim brush (or use your fingers).

s4029768
04-08-2009, 03:22 PM
Ok guys, took the car out on sunday to bed in. found a quiet industrial area. i did about 6-10 60 to 20 kph hard slow downs. just shy of abs engagement.

did a couple more 80-20k hard slow downs and then let the brakes cool down for about 15 mins...they were smoking by the end of it.

after they'd cooled down, did a few more 60-20 hard brakes. then let it cool down some more.

Right now initial bite is not as strong as oem brakes i had before. and the pedal seems a bit softer.

any ideas why? should i continue bedding in process a bit more, or is this just a characteristc of the hawk ceramics??

aaronng
04-08-2009, 03:45 PM
You are not supposed to bed them in til they smoke.

You are supposed to do a few gentle (3-4x) 60-20 slowdowns to warm them up a bit, and then go for 4-5x 80-20 reasonably hard stops. That's it. Don't overheat them because you will glaze the pads. Give it a few days of normal driving and see if the initial bite returns.

Crapdaz
04-08-2009, 04:01 PM
You are not supposed to bed them in til they smoke.

You are supposed to do a few gentle (3-4x) 60-20 slowdowns to warm them up a bit, and then go for 4-5x 80-20 reasonably hard stops. That's it. Don't overheat them because you will glaze the pads. Give it a few days of normal driving and see if the initial bite returns.
rofl til they smoke! :thumbdwn::thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

racerwannabe - i got the HPS if you want to try them out.

Min988
04-08-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm using HPS at the moment pretty good pad good bite they havent destroyed my rotors yet after a year, you need to brake a little harder on these brakes oem but when they stop they stop, only thing which i find rediculous is the dust, wash your car and about 4 hours driving later your rims are cover in a black/brown dust.

Crapdaz
04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
I'm using HPS at the moment pretty good pad good bite they havent destroyed my rotors yet after a year, you need to brake a little harder on these brakes oem but when they stop they stop, only thing which i find rediculous is the dust, wash your car and about 4 hours driving later your rims are cover in a black/brown dust.
your dust is black? only see it brown.

btw did you change your rotors with them min?

Min988
04-08-2009, 06:26 PM
yeah, I changed my rotors with them with RDA re-machined slotted rotors i suspect they aren't much harder than oem rotors, I think i let the brown settle till it starts to look black is the reason I see black.

racerwannabe
04-08-2009, 06:33 PM
Thanks for the offer Dazza..I will give it a try at the next meet :)

SPQR
12-08-2009, 10:13 PM
I used Hawk Ceramics for 3.5 years. You need to follow the bed in procedure. And no, it doesn't leave deposits on the rotors.

aaronng, who sells the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads in Australia? I tried V-Sport who are listed by Hawk as their agents in Australia but they don't respond.

aaronng
13-08-2009, 07:43 AM
aaronng, who sells the Hawk Performance Ceramic pads in Australia? I tried V-Sport who are listed by Hawk as their agents in Australia but they don't respond.

I'm not sure. I only know of V-Sport in Australia. Have you tried giving them a phone call?

SPQR
13-08-2009, 09:06 PM
^^^ What a brilliant idea. Thanks.:)

aaronng
13-08-2009, 10:11 PM
^^^ What a brilliant idea. Thanks.:)

When I dealt with their Sydney branch, they were very quick in response and got my rotors in within 2 working days. lol.

SPQR
14-08-2009, 07:50 PM
^^^ A-ha!. I had tried their Melbourne branch; thinking the freight would be cheaper from Melb-Darw.

aaronng
14-08-2009, 08:14 PM
^^^ A-ha!. I had tried their Melbourne branch; thinking the freight would be cheaper from Melb-Darw.

There is also their Brisbane branch. That would be closest to Darwin.

SPQR
05-09-2009, 12:54 AM
I don't expect that I have paid the cheapest price but I got new DBA Slotted front rotors (part numbers 2510SL & 2510SR) from my local Supercheap Auto for $314 total for both and the rear pair (part number 2511SL & 2511SR) from V-Sport for $375 including $55 for truck freight from Sydney via Melbourne, Adelaide, Alice Springs then to Darwin. I got Hawk Ceramic pads for all 4 brakes for $335 from V-Sport (part numbers HB366Z.681 & HB145Z.570).

When I was at Supercheap Auto, I accidently got a look at the computer screen: Their cost price for the rotors was $170 total for the fronts. I suppose they've got to pay the rent and wages but it's not as if the the Euro rotors are an item they keep in stock; they had to have them sent up from DBA.

aaronng
05-09-2009, 10:14 AM
Looks like you got the standard slotted for front. Why slotted for the rear? The Euro's rear brakes are puny that blanks are enough.

I got hardened 4000 series blanks for the front and blank standards for the rear, much cheaper.

SPQR
05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
I know they're for show. I wasn't looking for cheap as I would otherwise not be living in Darwin as even the cheapest things elsewhere cost more once landed here. And I am not reliving my past and doing any track work (not that I would with the rotors I've selected). I'm too old now. And as one gets old, show is more important than go (or stop in this case).:)