PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Master Cylinder (CMC)

mattc
31-07-2009, 08:08 PM
hey guys

situation:
last night clutch was stuck, however after a light tap, it flicked back out. Didnt think much of it. searched the forums, they said that it could be the CMC leaking. Checked, didnt see any fluids leaking internally (under dash) but had a residue in the engine bay under radiator (on front bar).

in the morning
took it to mech, they replaced the CMC + bled + replaced fluid. Engine bay cleaned

Now:
clutch was sticking again, however comes out easily if "pulled" again. Checked CMC fluid level.. all gone! :S
checked engine bay under radiator (on front bar), covered in residue... im 99% sure its clutch fluid.

Question.
im pretty sure that im leaking somewhere along the clutch lines.
- is this a common problem? where would it be coming from?
- is it easily fixed?

Background info
Car: 1993 dc2
CMC: Brand New 7 hrs old

Cheers guys :)

jeffreymui
31-07-2009, 08:11 PM
im pretty sure the bleeding (so call nipple) is not tighten?

V73C
31-07-2009, 08:30 PM
check the bleed nipple on the gearbox. isnt that located somewhere facing the front ?

someone correct me

mattc
31-07-2009, 08:36 PM
is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.team-integra.net/sections/articles/showArticle.asp?ArticleID=644

"Clutch Bleeder Valve"

cheers

V73C
31-07-2009, 08:38 PM
yep. have a look at that

aaronng
31-07-2009, 08:57 PM
Clutch slave cylinder is leaking. Replace that.

V73C
31-07-2009, 09:14 PM
oshi- didnt think of that one

geeang
31-07-2009, 09:53 PM
Yep aaron is right, I researched this problem alot because it happened to me.
If you've just replaced the Clutch Master Cylinder and it's still leaking, then it's either your clutch lines somewhere or your Clutch Slave Cylinder.

mattc
01-08-2009, 12:12 AM
cool thanks guys.. appreciated :)

where abouts is the location of the Clutch Slave Cylinder?

what would be the estimated costs of fixing clutch lines or a Clutch Slave Cylinder?

Cheers fellas

mattc
01-08-2009, 12:18 AM
i guess this is the "slave cylinder (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v351/schweetmk2/78647928.gif)"

i think you guys are right.. i do remember seeing some residue on this part.
however further up the clutch lines is there another "cylinder" that is prone to leaking?

geeang
01-08-2009, 12:19 AM
The clutch slave cylinder is the thing that the clutch bleeder valve is attached to, it's located on the frontside of the gearbox next to your headers, I'd definately check the slave cylinder and bleeder valve considering where all of your clutch fluid is leaking to.

http://www.team-integra.net/images/BAEC1978-D3A7-4405-AB2D-2761DC15A96D/articles/maintenance/clutchf/clutchf1.jpg

If your clutch lines are punctured (which I doubt they are) you could easily just get lines from a wrecking yard, clutch slave cylinder should cost less than the clutch master cylinder to replace (or again, just grab one from the wreckers).

mattc
01-08-2009, 12:24 AM
geeang thanks mate!

what actually causes the leaking? just broken/worn/old seals?

aaronng
01-08-2009, 09:33 AM
geeang thanks mate!

what actually causes the leaking? just broken/worn/old seals?

Yup, worn seals, old age, or maybe even pressing the clutch down hard when there is something jamming the slave cylinder from extending and thus blowing out the seals. You can either get a new one or rebuild it by replacing the seals. I would get one from the wreckers as it doesn't usually fail that easily.

mattc
01-08-2009, 06:17 PM
ohh right.. thanks arronng

im going to get it checked out again monday
i actually now think its more coming from the clutch lines somewhere.. rang the mech up and they said that they checked the slave and checked that it wasnt leaking.. hmm
well will get them to double check monday

Cheers again.. will let you know how it goes :)

mattc
03-08-2009, 05:40 PM
thanks guys

got it fixed.. ended up being the clutch line hose under the airbox that was leaking :S
all good now..

thanks again!