PDA

View Full Version : Improving stock headlights

VBOMB
02-08-2009, 06:45 AM
Can anyone offer any tips to improving the headlights? I'm thinking:

A) Polish the shell of the headlights (Theres a DIY on here for that)
B) Replacing the bulbs with brighter/white bulbs (Which ones are best?)

Any other recommendations? :)

JasonGilholme
02-08-2009, 08:30 AM
i've done both of the above and it still doesn't compare to my 2003 barina sri.

I really think you need to look into the wattage of the entire system or the source of where you get the power for the lights. They definately don't cut it in comparison to newer cars thats for sure.

VBOMB
02-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Did you end up finding a way to improve it? I'm pretty noob with this so figured just replacing the bulb would make them better

kcokla
02-08-2009, 09:21 AM
the easiest u can do is buy HID's
it will be brighter and give u greater distance in vision but imo the eg lights design and projection, regardless whjat u use with the stock light housing will suck

go hids, best possible reasonable solution witrhout being outragous

nd55
02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
> A) Polish the shell of the headlights

The effect is short lived, unfortunately.
Needs constant attention with brasso to look good.

> B) Replacing the bulbs with brighter/white bulbs

The Honda wiring harness to the lamps isn't the best, so the effect isn't as good as it might be.

A new headlight housing with some attention paid to the wiring and you're good to go.

Nick.

JasonGilholme
02-08-2009, 07:29 PM
I think the wattage of the bulbs is a problem as well. The h7's in my newer model car are alot brighter and the wiring is more substantial.

I'm sure if you upgraded the wiring, and were able to conver to h7 bulbs, then you'd be in business.

or as said, get HID's.

Are HID's even legal to change to if you didn't have them as stock/option?

ninzee
02-08-2009, 07:39 PM
I think the wattage of the bulbs is a problem as well. The h7's in my newer model car are alot brighter and the wiring is more substantial.

I'm sure if you upgraded the wiring, and were able to conver to h7 bulbs, then you'd be in business.

or as said, get HID's.

Are HID's even legal to change to if you didn't have them as stock/option?

who cares if there legal or not there still sik :) only thing stopping us is the $150 +installation lol for us poor ppl out there

JasonGilholme
02-08-2009, 08:28 PM
i care about legalities. lol

and they're not hard to install anyway. Theres even plug and play units for sale to make it easy for the not so confident DIY'rs

90LAN
02-08-2009, 08:30 PM
just get 6000/7000k bulbs

ninzee
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
i care about legalities. lol

and they're not hard to install anyway. Theres even plug and play units for sale to make it easy for the not so confident DIY'rs

hahaha fair enough but i rkn they would be legal if newer cars can have them im assuming we would be able 2 also and cops wouldnt know the difference i had 1 cop once when i was in my mechanics r32 gtr pull us over and take pics of the BOV cause he didnt know what it was lol

iv had bad experience with DIY electricals lol last time i attempted it i blew my main headlight fuse lol :(

geeang
03-08-2009, 12:51 AM
hahaha fair enough but i rkn they would be legal if newer cars can have them im assuming we would be able 2 also and cops wouldnt know the difference i had 1 cop once when i was in my mechanics r32 gtr pull us over and take pics of the BOV cause he didnt know what it was lol

iv had bad experience with DIY electricals lol last time i attempted it i blew my main headlight fuse lol :(

HID's are illegal on all cars that did not come with them standard, and cars need an autowashing + autolevelling system for them to be remotely legal.

I would just get some Phillips Extreme +80% lightbulbs from Autobarn, they're direct replacement bulbs but they're extremely bright :thumbsup:

Anwyl
03-08-2009, 09:57 PM
HID easiest bet :)

bevis90
03-08-2009, 10:47 PM
i got some narva brand from repco the other time. they work a treat and better den the japan bulbs i had. shines like 30% brighter

dahondr98
11-08-2009, 11:52 PM
I didn't think I'd have to write this again, but the first step to improving the stock headlights BEFORE changing any bulbs is to improve the wiring. Honda and many other Japanese makers make the wiring far too thin, using only 2.5mm thick wire to the headlights and most other electrical accessories, to save weight (a whole car wiring loom weighs many kg). By contrast, most Aussie made cars use 4mm headlight wiring, and have much better headlights as a result. Only 80% of the battery voltage gets to the Civic headlight plugs with them on, so you're losing 20% in the wiring - that's well over 2 volts, measured when my 98 model was brand new. That means about 50% headlight brightness compared to what the bulbs are capable of with full voltage, according to Hella, who manufacture the headlights for all Aussie made cars, and have done for many years. See here http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4168&page=7 where I discussed this, and what to do about it. The easiest method is to buy an ARB or Piranha headlight upgrade loom, available at many 4WD accessory places, which plug in to the existing headlight sockets, and have much thicker wiring, and two relays, and you'll double the brightness instantly.

If you're technically inclined, you can DIY the wiring and relays. A good place to buy wire (at least 5mm, or 12 gauge wire is required, but 6mm, or 10 gauge, is better) as well as the other parts required, such as headlight sockets, terminals, relays and relay sockets, is to buy online from http://www.naauto.biz:8080/naauto/ , who sell auto electrical stuff at excellent prices, if you can't source it locally. No, I don't work for them, but I've done the research already, so you don't have to. And, if you make up a new loom with relays, then use either diode protected relays, or relays with resistors fitted (often known as resistor relays), as either will prevent damage to car electronics, by reducing the surge of reverse voltage (known as back EMF) when a relay is switched on. Narva and Hella both make diode or resistor relays. You can also DIY by buying some diodes to fit across standard relay coils - 1N4004 diodes are suitable, and available very cheaply from electronics retailers such as Dick Smith, Jaycar, Altronics, or local TV repairers etc - the price for 4 at Jaycar is 50 cents. Just remember to connect the end of the diode with the black stripe to the positive end of the supply voltage to the relay coil, so it doesn't conduct and short circuit the supply. A diode completely damps the back EMF, so it can't damage car computers and other electronics.

Then you can get Philips Extreme bulbs, widely available from many auto accessory places (Repco, Supercheap, Autobarn etc), as well as from Ebay sellers. They are currently the most efficient halogen bulbs available, 80% brighter than standard bulbs, and together with the upgraded wiring loom, you'll have lights more than 200% brighter (260% brighter, if you do the maths).:cool:

If you still are unhappy with the headlights after doing that, and you regularly drive outside metropolitan areas, then driving lights will help improve the high beam light. Quite large ones, up to more than 220mm diameter, can be mounted easily using a Unibar, although smaller lights will probably suit a Civic better. Unibars (see thumbnail below) are sold at many auto accessory retailers, and fit behind the number plate – police and other emergency services regularly use them, and they will easily handle even the largest lights. I can recommend Hella, Narva and Cibie lights personally, having driven behind those brands, and they easily outreach stock headlights, but need to be wired via a relay so they only come on with high beam. And invest in some locknuts for your lights, too (about $25-$50), so that light-fingered people who think they have more use for your expensive driving lights than you can’t remove them, as happened to me many years ago, when my Cibie Oscars, and a neighbour’s large Hella lights, were removed one night, when we left our cars on the street. Locknuts (see below) are available from many 4WD accessory stores such as ARB, and also via Ebay, and can only be undone with a correct key. After I fitted a set, I never had any more lights stolen, even when my 4WD wouldn’t fit in my garage, and I had to park it on the street.

And lastly, don't try to "upgrade" the headlights to HID bulbs, which are illegal in all headlights designed for halogen bulbs, and will only dazzle other road users excessively. You want to drive safely at night, don't you, rather than making the cars coming towards you have trouble seeing you, due to dazzling them - it could be YOU they collide with. HID lights are great lights, but only when they were designed as HID headlights, not when retrofitted by some backyard cowboy who thinks the laws designed to protect them don't apply to them. Just ignore those who suggest a HID retrofit.:thumbdwn: