PDA

View Full Version : Honda Civic EG5 - CLUTCH

SIR-JDM
03-08-2009, 08:57 PM
Just wondering is the clutch friction point ment to be high on the Honda EG's? Cause mine is fairly high. :S

The friction point is when the car starts to shake right? Or when the RPM drops?

Random question: How many of you's use handbrake while taking off on a little slope or a uphill? Knowing that another car is behind you?

SIR-JDM
04-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Anyone?

rayb3na_
04-08-2009, 05:46 PM
you can adjust your clutch pedal possibly whoever put the new clutch into your car didnt adjust it properly.. go to a mechanic or if your mechanically minded you can adjust it yourself =]

answer to your random question: yeah sometimes i do depending how steep the hill is cos i dont wanna strain my clutch too much.

ninzee
04-08-2009, 06:06 PM
yea on your clutch master cylinder i think theres some sort of bolt or something like that where you can change where the friction point is myn right at the top atm cause the bloke who put it in didnt adjust it properly

yea i use the handbrake now and then nothing to be ashamed of :) lol

geeang
04-08-2009, 07:32 PM
The 'bolt' on the clutch master cylinder can only change the level of freeplay / height of your pedal, I don't think it can adjust the actual friction point for when the clutch bites.

OMG.JAI xD
04-08-2009, 07:42 PM
The 'bolt' on the clutch master cylinder can only change the level of freeplay / height of your pedal, I don't think it can adjust the actual friction point for when the clutch bites.

:thumbsup:

Was just about to say.

Not like cable where brackets can bend, dampers can collapse etc.

Could quite be possible that your clutch is on its way out.

SIR-JDM
04-08-2009, 10:09 PM
Any tips on knowing how your clutch is working or gone? I don't know all these terms such as "slipping" etc... so don't come at me with technical terms haha, ta :)

HRC.Automotive
04-08-2009, 11:26 PM
One way you will know your clutch is worn is if your car shudders when you release the clutch. meaning the pressure plate is not clamping down.

"slipping" refers to the clutch not holding the tourque from the engine, and it 'slips', ie, when you apply load (accelerate/overtake) it will seem like you have slightly depressed the clutch allowing the rpms to rise but speed remains the same.. its hard to miss if your clutch is slipping.. so you will know if it does.

If the friction point is high, this indicates that the clutch friction plate is wearing and getting thinner, so the friction point (when rpm's drop to answer your other question) is further towards the top of the pedal travel. I would say your clutch is on its way out.

Only other possible problems would be in the hydraulics of the clutch system (ie master cyl/ Slave cyl/ Pushrod adjustment etc)

We can have a look at it at our workshop to properly diagnose it, if you want check out www.hrcautomotive.com.au for our details!

Regards - Steve

Mikecivic78
07-08-2009, 11:16 PM
One way you will know your clutch is worn is if your car shudders when you release the clutch. meaning the pressure plate is not clamping down.

"slipping" refers to the clutch not holding the tourque from the engine, and it 'slips', ie, when you apply load (accelerate/overtake) it will seem like you have slightly depressed the clutch allowing the rpms to rise but speed remains the same.. its hard to miss if your clutch is slipping.. so you will know if it does.

If the friction point is high, this indicates that the clutch friction plate is wearing and getting thinner, so the friction point (when rpm's drop to answer your other question) is further towards the top of the pedal travel. I would say your clutch is on its way out.

Only other possible problems would be in the hydraulics of the clutch system (ie master cyl/ Slave cyl/ Pushrod adjustment etc)

We can have a look at it at our workshop to properly diagnose it, if you want check out www.hrcautomotive.com.au for our details!

Regards - Steve

Good post. Also, if it's slipping, the car will rev but will be slow to pick up speed on uphill drives. I use this method: ( correct me if im wrong)... drive at a constant speed, and (without taking ur foot of the accelerator) quickly depress and release the clutch as quik as u can. If its ok, it'll engage with a real thump.... if it slowly picks up speed, then ur clutch is on the way out. Do this only once, as it can be rough on the clucth.