PDA

View Full Version : Honda Jazz upgrades

fyakong
03-08-2009, 11:13 PM
Hi, I am new to this forum and a first-time new car user.

I have a 2008 Honda Jazz Vti. I would like to upgrade a 15" steel wheels to 16" alloy wheels. I want to know what are the things to consider as such warranty issues with honda dealers, quality of genuine honda alloys, car tyre brand, suspension adjustments and so on. Also I have mud flaps on my car and does 16" affect the mud flaps on normal driving.

My usage is day-to-day commute from work to home. I need some good quality tyres in wet weather. Current tyres are not good in this situation.

Cheers

fyakong
05-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I think that the car need better handling and performance. What upgrades are require to do this? like coilcovers, strut, high quality brakes

M@lew
05-08-2009, 11:23 PM
To upgrade handling, get some bars(Front, Sway, Rear etc.) + coils. That's pretty much the basics. :D

fyakong
06-08-2009, 11:28 AM
To upgrade handling, get some bars(Front, Sway, Rear etc.) + coils. That's pretty much the basics. :D

I wonder what to purchase on alloy wheels as I am choosing between 15" or 16" ones. Work Emotion CR-kai ones. I am not sure about +40, 44, 37 issue.
which ones are better handling and comfort on 15" or 16"?

kongfu
06-08-2009, 11:29 AM
I wonder what to purchase on alloy wheels as I am choosing between 15" or 16" ones. Work Emotion CR-kai ones. I am not sure about +40, 44, 37 issue.
which ones are better handling and comfort on 15" or 16"?

15:thumbsup:

M@lew
06-08-2009, 01:03 PM
+40 etc is offset or pretty much how far your wheel sticks out. Too far in and it'll hit the brakes, too far out and you'll rub the guards. For performance 15" is better for performance performance and handling, 16" looks better though. ;)

hoey888
06-08-2009, 08:16 PM
My usage is day-to-day commute from work to home. I need some good quality tyres in wet weather. Current tyres are not good in this situation.

Cheers

AT or MT?
what tyres are you running at the moment?

fyakong
06-08-2009, 10:48 PM
AT or MT?

What is AT or MT?

M@lew
06-08-2009, 10:50 PM
Auto or Manual

fyakong
06-08-2009, 10:54 PM
AT or MT?

If you mean AT as automatic transmission. that is what I am using now.

Tyres are using Honda stock ones of GoodYear GD3 but weird size of 175/65/R15.

its ok for normal conditions but not good in wet conditions.

Are Honda 15" alloys good?

I am in Tasmania. Resources are limited to get hold of other than internet purchase.

hoey888
07-08-2009, 11:26 AM
From the sound of it, being budget conscious 15" is probably the best option as it is readily available, hence the cheapest for tyres.

16" is an awkward size and expensive on tyres so not really recommended. If your looking at 16", you might as well pay a bit more to get 17".

More importantly you mentioned your running 175/65/R15. This means tyre width is 175mm (the width of tyre touching the ground) and 65 is how high the tyre sits relative to rim.

If you occasionally go into the hills in tassie, would recommend getting a rim that allows a 'wider' tyre to be fitted. This allows more cornering speed and stability. most people go for 195 or 205 width tyres

patsdc2
07-08-2009, 12:44 PM
What is your reason to upgrade to 16" rims? For the looks, better handling etc?
Have you consider the price of the rubber for 16" rims? As some might have said, price for a 16" rubber is not cheap. Also, upgrading to 16" will affect the fuel consumption of your car, which means 17" is out of the question. If the reason for changing rims is just for the appearance, I would suggest getting a set of 15" and swap over the rubber. As you did mention that you're using your jazz mainly for daily traveling to work, so I don't see the need for coilovers, bars etc as many other suggested.

fyakong
07-08-2009, 02:34 PM
From the sound of it, being budget conscious 15" is probably the best option as it is readily available, hence the cheapest for tyres.

16" is an awkward size and expensive on tyres so not really recommended. If your looking at 16", you might as well pay a bit more to get 17".

More importantly you mentioned your running 175/65/R15. This means tyre width is 175mm (the width of tyre touching the ground) and 65 is how high the tyre sits relative to rim.

If you occasionally go into the hills in tassie, would recommend getting a rim that allows a 'wider' tyre to be fitted. This allows more cornering speed and stability. most people go for 195 or 205 width tyres

Thanks for the advice. I think that I will go for 15".

fyakong
07-08-2009, 02:38 PM
What is your reason to upgrade to 16" rims? For the looks, better handling etc?
Have you consider the price of the rubber for 16" rims? As some might have said, price for a 16" rubber is not cheap. Also, upgrading to 16" will affect the fuel consumption of your car, which means 17" is out of the question. If the reason for changing rims is just for the appearance, I would suggest getting a set of 15" and swap over the rubber. As you did mention that you're using your jazz mainly for daily traveling to work, so I don't see the need for coilovers, bars etc as many other suggested.

I am assuming that 16" ones are better performance and can go a greater distance than 15". I am also aware if upgrade to 16" will increase consumption by about 1L. At the moment, I am more towards better handling and fuel efficient to cover more distances. Which things should I be considering?

stephe102
15-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the advice. I think that I will go for 15".

Cr Kai is nice! I'm using 15" +35 offset 195/50 and it works a treat

Dreams
15-09-2009, 02:58 PM
195/50/15 on a GE? you must dumped the car so much to suit the wheels. the tyre/wheel spec on GE is whacked!

stephe102
15-09-2009, 05:04 PM
195/50/15 on a GE? you must dumped the car so much to suit the wheels. the tyre/wheel spec on GE is whacked!

GE? Mine is vtis...its on kings springs, yeh i'm saving up for some coilovers yo!

Dreams
16-09-2009, 12:01 PM
GE is the new jazz. GD is the old ones = yours.

preludacris
05-10-2009, 04:16 PM
which bar would make the most difference to handling. particular steering response. I'm not going to purchase 3 different bars for gf's jazz. and i'm steering away from items such as rear sway bar which should make the car more prone to oversteer.

I'm thinking probably just the front upper strut bar. anybody currently running front strut bar care to give me some feedback?

thanks.

stylzjhn
07-10-2009, 11:12 AM
which bar would make the most difference to handling. particular steering response. I'm not going to purchase 3 different bars for gf's jazz. and i'm steering away from items such as rear sway bar which should make the car more prone to oversteer.

I'm thinking probably just the front upper strut bar. anybody currently running front strut bar care to give me some feedback?

thanks.

Well i'm running a front upper strut and i do feel a more sturdy feel to the car. Like it feels rigid? But i'm running stock steelies and suspension so i don't feel much handling difference (Maybe a small difference but i get heaps of tire roll and under steer) . Its hard for me to put in words. But then again i got a strut in the back and a pillar bar. Hope that helps.

Exactly the same as that.
http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2442/4521/31104760002_large.jpg

ouch
04-04-2011, 10:30 PM
anyone got a front strut bar installed on their jazz? major differences in handling? im getting bored of the stock handling on my 06' VTI-s and i want to turn the thing into a gokart... as much as i can at least.

but seriously. help.

kongfu
04-04-2011, 10:59 PM
anyone got a front strut bar installed on their jazz? major differences in handling? im getting bored of the stock handling on my 06' VTI-s and i want to turn the thing into a gokart... as much as i can at least.

but seriously. help.

front wont help much, i have rear cusco strut bar which helps a lot...plus I have other 3 under brace : )

zerohonda
04-04-2011, 11:27 PM
nice!!!

fillit
04-04-2011, 11:50 PM
I have both front and rear strut bars on my car and it does make the car feel tighter, however you can go all out with an X bar, rear sway bar and braces to have a handling monster :)

ouch
05-04-2011, 12:30 AM
whered you guys get your struts from?

GU357
12-04-2011, 02:01 AM
Well for better stearing u want front anti roll/sway bar, front strut brace will help too, if i were you i would be looking at stiffer suspension find out which ones cheaper.
sway bars can be costly around $400.
stiffening springs could be cheaper try calling peders suspension, or something

And struts can be found on ebay