PDA

View Full Version : Minor humming sound when decelerating between 80-100km/hr

E_Honda
04-08-2009, 09:31 AM
When i take my foot of the accelerator at around 80-100km/hr and revs are around 3k mark and above, i get this really minor humming sound.

I tried the same thing but in 6th gear so the car was only revving around 2K and no humming sound.

I don't remember having this noise before when i had the Injen CAI. Now i'm back to the stock air intake. Can't be totally sure it wasnt there before though, i tend to have my music pretty loud usually.

Any ideas?

Crapdaz
04-08-2009, 10:02 AM
When i take my foot of the accelerator at around 80-100km/hr and revs are around 3k mark and above, i get this really minor humming sound.

I tried the same thing but in 6th gear so the car was only revving around 2K and no humming sound.

I don't remember having this noise before when i had the Injen CAI. Now i'm back to the stock air intake. Can't be totally sure it wasnt there before though, i tend to have my music pretty loud usually.

Any ideas?
is your resonator box in or not there?

E_Honda
04-08-2009, 10:14 AM
yeah its in, all back to original

aaronng
04-08-2009, 10:35 AM
It happens. Your foot is off the throttle, engine is spinning at medium RPM and TB butterfly is almost fully closed along with the injectors. So you get that sound, which is usually masked by the combustion noise. Don't be oversensitive.

E_Honda
04-08-2009, 10:42 AM
lol oversensitive? I pride myself on my ride, my 'quiet' and smooth ride :)

The sound hasn't always been there so it can't be normal.

aaronng
04-08-2009, 12:05 PM
lol oversensitive? I pride myself on my ride, my 'quiet' and smooth ride :)

The sound hasn't always been there so it can't be normal.
As the car gets older, you get more humming resonance sounds because the mounts wear out, the clips are not as tight from new and the chassis has been flexing that little bit day in day out when you go out of your driveway or over a speed bump.

The next one that you will get is the vibrating parcel shelf. I got that at the 1 year mark. :)

The Euro is not a quiet car. If you want quiet, get the Thai Accord instead.

Plus, you should also state what model year your Euro is. It would help in the diagnosis especially with problems which are age-related.

E_Honda
04-08-2009, 01:09 PM
I understand with age the car will get noises from wear and tear, but this noise seems related to the air intake somehow i think.

I get vibrating parcel shelf but thats from the sub cause i havent sound deadened the shelf yet :)

My Euro from day one that i bought it has always been a very quiet car IMHO

btw its an 04 Euro luxury

aaronng
04-08-2009, 02:45 PM
Mine is also an 04. I have the vibrating parcel shelf and I don't have any aftermarket audio. LOL. Be aware that for a car this age, things will get loose and start to vibrate and stuff.

E_Honda
04-08-2009, 03:20 PM
But still, just because the car is getting older doesn't mean you can't try and keep it in perfect condition by maintaining it and fixing every little noise you hear. Thats what i'm trying to achieve, and failing atm lol

So i guess i have nothing to worry about in the parcel shelf, cause even if it is vibrating i won't notice because of the bass, when i do eventually sound deaden it should be interesting to see how quiet the rear shelf will become though.

Anyway my original problem with the humming sound i might get the mechanic to look at it when i go for my next service.

aaronng
04-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Ever considered that the rubber in the engine mounts could be hardening from the 5 years of age on the car and is now transmitting vibration and humming into the cabin? That is what's happening to my car.

E_Honda
04-08-2009, 04:05 PM
Are those rubber engine mounts expensive to replace?

Crapdaz
04-08-2009, 05:10 PM
the engine mounts shouldn't make a hummm though

E_Honda
06-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Wouldn't think so, it's sounding more like air pressure with the intake or exhaust manifold??? Or am I way off

Crapdaz
07-08-2009, 02:21 PM
i think it's normal for the hum, my car has a slight hum when i let off the gas too.
but then i have the stock airbox to aft headers and exhaust.

I thought you haven't changed your headers....?

E_Honda
09-08-2009, 01:02 PM
i think it's normal for the hum, my car has a slight hum when i let off the gas too.
but then i have the stock airbox to aft headers and exhaust.

I thought you haven't changed your headers....?

yeah the engine is all standard.