PDA

View Full Version : Tyres damage suspension???

gmanz
10-11-2004, 03:21 PM
I just had the biggest bunch of bullsh*t given to me from scotts honda service in artarmon.... told my friends Jazz in for the first service and the car had 14x5.5 Alloys with 185/60 R14 tyres on... cos the factory tyres and rim on the VTI was crap.... the guys at scotts told me that the suspensiona nd steering is getting damaged cos i fitted the 185/60R14 tyres on and not the 175/65 R14... i didn't even go up a size in the rim.. and they reckon the 10mm in the tyre is enought to cause damage to the suspension and steering... they even gave me some bullsh*t about putting too much pressure on the suspension cos of the new tyres....any suggestions who i would take this up with... they want to charge $715 to fix the suspension and steering...

gmanz
10-11-2004, 03:23 PM
bigger rims will damage the new tech on jazz steering is all i know...
but other than that... it wont damage anything man unless yr car is crap
lol just joking
i suggest you go and talk to some tyres shop like where u got the tyres from and if they say yr tyres are fine with yr jazz, go Honda and ask for warranty claim
if not, just report to some affair department and let them do the rest

also clearance issue, height also a problem if u will lower yr car which yr tyres will behind below yr fender as mine tyres are in the same level as my fender

well.. i rang hond australia... they said to get an independent body such as NRMA to assess....

TypeG
10-11-2004, 03:32 PM
good job

Philip Lee
10-11-2004, 04:43 PM
how can you trust those dh to work on our cars...... :thumbdwn:

gmanz
10-11-2004, 04:49 PM
well... I would took my civic to service with honda for the first one...1000km... then ever since.... i've taken it to midas.... they do the job right at least.... so i just told my friend to take the JAZZ in to honda for the first 1000km service...a nd god knows what.... they just give me BS on the first service....

Philip Lee
10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
damaged suspension on the first 1000km??

simpdogg
10-11-2004, 04:57 PM
Yeh i take my car to Ultra Tune, i used to work at courtney and pattersons honda in melb, it was good working there, getting everything done for cheap but yeh, im not surprised that you were fed a bs line, take it somewhere else

gmanz
10-11-2004, 05:14 PM
Yeh i take my car to Ultra Tune, i used to work at courtney and pattersons honda in melb, it was good working there, getting everything done for cheap but yeh, im not surprised that you were fed a bs line, take it somewhere else

yeah they just want to get rid of the customer so they don't have to do it under warranty...will be getting it assessed by nrma tomorrow.. and show those idiots at scotts they have no idea what they talking about...

Kit
10-11-2004, 06:28 PM
gmanz, what is the problem with the suspension?

suspension can be classified as a wear and tear item so they may not honour suspension claims, but it all depends on what the problem is..
wouldn't it be easier if u put the stock wheels back on and went to another honda dealership?

gmanz
10-11-2004, 07:39 PM
gmanz, what is the problem with the suspension?

suspension can be classified as a wear and tear item so they may not honour suspension claims, but it all depends on what the problem is..
wouldn't it be easier if u put the stock wheels back on and went to another honda dealership?

yeah... but the car's only been driven for like 1900km....if honda suspension is that bad.. then i have nothing to say... well.. i'll see how the assessment go tomorrow...

terris08
10-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit slow....so are you guys saying that we better not to change the wheels and hence the tyres to any bigger than the original size? Or those guys at so called 'Scott' are bullsh*tting? Sorry I have no idea what Scott is, is it a Honda dealer? Thanks

gmanz
10-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Sorry, I'm a bit slow....so are you guys saying that we better not to change the wheels and hence the tyres to any bigger than the original size? Or those guys at so called 'Scott' are bullsh*tting? Sorry I have no idea what Scott is, is it a Honda dealer? Thanks

i'm sure u can change it to a bigger size... just watch out for some dealers i.e. scotts honda.... they'll give u sh*t when something goes wrong in the car

civiceg9
10-11-2004, 10:49 PM
Take it up with Honda Australia service or something
my friend in malaysia had the same problem and had to complaint to Honda Malay to get the job done right to his car.

MRFIT
10-11-2004, 10:59 PM
when it comes to fix the car under warranty, do u have to take the car back to the dealer where u bought it from?? or any honda dealer in Australia can do it?

jefflei
10-11-2004, 11:00 PM
even the shock absorber is wearable item, but may not due to a thinner rubber... with 60 profile 14" rubber, instead of 65profile... it should not do any damage to the steering nor the shock absorber. the original user manual only suggest that u cannot use rubber larger than 185/55/15 ...but u r only putting a 60/14" ....should not cause any problem~

Kit
10-11-2004, 11:11 PM
yeah... but the car's only been driven for like 1900km....if honda suspension is that bad.. then i have nothing to say... well.. i'll see how the assessment go tomorrow...

but you still haven't told me what is wrong with the cars suspension.

It should never wear out after 1900km.

simpdogg
11-11-2004, 12:23 AM
As far as i know, and i apologise if i deter from the original topic,after researching on my accord i found out the largest i could go was a 17x7 wheel, my shocks are shagged and have been on the car for ages as far as i know, if what your saying is placing a larger tyre size on the car wears down shocks, we should all be having a similar problem with our suspension stock or other, it sounds to me and im only speculating but i know that it happens from time to time, that perhaps a suspension or steering component has worn down after a short time, as i said its only a thought i had, but should be covered under warranty only because its still a new car im pretty sure that new tyres/wheels wouldnt void anything from the factory but as what was mentioned before put the stock wheels on to be safe

Andys
11-11-2004, 12:29 PM
Hmm. I have 185/60 tyres, but on the factory rims, in my VTi. Can't see any problem with it at all in the last 50,000km. What they said is probably true if you changed rim diameter or width, but it seems you didn't. :confused:

- Andrew

gmanz
11-11-2004, 01:36 PM
Thanx for all the comments and suggestions.... took it to have it inspected by NRMA said it was nothing to do with the tyres.. took it to the hornsby dealer this time... not scotts anymore... an all fixed under warranty... they just had to replace something inthe suspension joint.