PDA

View Full Version : VTEC light

SHU-ES1
05-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Hi all,
I've just recently connected a 12v LED to the wire leading to my vtec solenoid which lights up everytime vtec hits - I think. It seems to be working fine and all. I was just wondering if this will affect performance in any way ie. Power of vtec due to splitting voltage to light up the LED? or have any detrimental effects in the long run other than corrosion? Look forward to hearing some good news! :)
Cheers!

curtis265
05-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Lol nar the circuit's not powering vtec, just telling it when to activate. It shouldn't mess up your performance

OMG.JAI xD
05-08-2009, 10:45 PM
As long youre not intercepting the wire (running parallel) it should be ok.

Vtec after all , only works off oil pressure and sends a signal to the ecu to send power to the solenoid.

If its only an indication light, it wont do no harm to the vtec solenoid. Even if it does, youd know where to start.

SHU-ES1
06-08-2009, 10:03 AM
I thought it was lighting up a little early. Rather than at around 4400rpm when vtec engages. It seems like the the harder I put my foot down, the earlier it lights up. Not very accurate I shouldve guessed. Thanks for the help guys.

curtis265
06-08-2009, 10:43 AM
maybe it takes a while for oil pressure to build up so you don't feel the crossover so well. Is your crossover aggressive?

SHU-ES1
06-08-2009, 11:51 AM
it's the single banger D17A2 vtec, so it's not the strongest. But it's vtec nonetheless! Hehe.

CRXer
06-08-2009, 02:20 PM
vtec dont switch at a fixed rpm
the higher the engine load the lower the rpm it switches at.

ECU-MAN
06-08-2009, 02:35 PM
if the Light is on, then VTEC is on. simple as that

clem
06-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Should do a bit of research of the type of V-tec is on your car.

usually DOHC vtec is for performance where it opens up more in the higher revs.

SOHC vtec on the other hand is designed for economy (hence the silly LEV sticker on the civics) Vtec works differently in that it is on to improve on fuel economy and lessen emissions. There should be a wiki somewhere explaining the types of vtec.

*btw, where did u access this vtec solenoid on your car? Sounds like an interesting mod i might want to try on mine :)

redefine
06-08-2009, 03:35 PM
^^ not true

sohc vtec is still designed for power...but its less ideal then its dohc counterpart. the exception is vtec-e which is specifically designed for economy.

ECU-MAN
06-08-2009, 04:36 PM
^^ not true

sohc vtec is still designed for power...but its less ideal then its dohc counterpart. the exception is vtec-e which is specifically designed for economy.

exactly right

VTi is for power VTEC-E is for economy

SOHC VTEC only alters intake valve timing, where DOHC does intake and exhaust

redefine
06-08-2009, 04:58 PM
why oh why cant that third exhaust rocker go through the spark plug cavity :p

SHU-ES1
06-08-2009, 07:50 PM
thanks for all the info guys. My vi has vtec e. :( I found my solenoid on the cylinder head, not sure if it's the same for other models. Light blue wire connects to it. Just wire up a light and ground it, I used one of my cluster bolts! Good luck!