PDA

View Full Version : Request Help Installing HID Vti-L

dsire
06-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Hey everyone,

Sorry to bother you all. I been trying searching for guides in this forum without having any luck in regards to finding myself a DIY HID installation guide for the Honda VTI-L model.

Would anyone be kind enough in helping me out in pointing me to a DIY/guide with step by step instructions possibly with images if you could please, it would be much appreciated.

dsire

liquid23
06-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Not sure if this will help but look in the sg forums. here is a guide but with no pictures
http://www.civicfd-sg.com/viewtopic.php?t=788&highlight=civic+hids

He does it by going through the wheel arch. It is only changing HID bulbs but at least you know where to start from.

OR

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting-h-i-d-s-neon/21376-my-civics-hid-diy-installation.html

Write up with pictures! :thumbsup:

I personally think it is easier to take off the front bumper, so you have full view of the car and can attach the ballast to car body also gives you more room rather than just a small wheel arch space.
You just need to unscrew 1 screw on each side of the front bumper located in the wheel arch.
Take off the clips on radiator cover with a flat head screwdriver.
Unbolt the screws (10mm hexagonal head) and pull out the bumper equally from both sides. Don't be afraid to pull hard, everything is clipped in. Can put cardboard underneath bumper in case you drop it. If you have fog lights then you need to place the bumper carefully on the ground and disconnect the wires to the fog lights before you put the bumper aside. Then you can follow the instructions from above on how to put the HIDs and ballast in and where not to put them. You can use zip ties to hold up the ballast if you think its insecure by just using a screw to hold it in place.

All plugs have their own place, so you can't get it mixed up. make sure you DO NOT touch the bulb as this will put oil on it.

dsire
07-08-2009, 12:42 AM
Not sure if this will help but look in the sg forums. here is a guide but with no pictures
http://www.civicfd-sg.com/viewtopic.php?t=788&highlight=civic+hids

He does it by going through the wheel arch. It is only changing HID bulbs but at least you know where to start from.

OR

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/lighting-h-i-d-s-neon/21376-my-civics-hid-diy-installation.html

Write up with pictures! :thumbsup:

I personally think it is easier to take off the front bumper, so you have full view of the car and can attach the ballast to car body also gives you more room rather than just a small wheel arch space.
You just need to unscrew 1 screw on each side of the front bumper located in the wheel arch.
Take off the clips on radiator cover with a flat head screwdriver.
Unbolt the screws (10mm hexagonal head) and pull out the bumper equally from both sides. Don't be afraid to pull hard, everything is clipped in. Can put cardboard underneath bumper in case you drop it. If you have fog lights then you need to place the bumper carefully on the ground and disconnect the wires to the fog lights before you put the bumper aside. Then you can follow the instructions from above on how to put the HIDs and ballast in and where not to put them. You can use zip ties to hold up the ballast if you think its insecure by just using a screw to hold it in place.

All plugs have their own place, so you can't get it mixed up. make sure you DO NOT touch the bulb as this will put oil on it.

Thank you so much for responding to this thread, I really appreciate it. :)

liquid23
07-08-2009, 12:51 AM
no worries. just read through it carefully and it would be handy to get a laptop and follow it while your doing your car if you have a laptop.

Should be straight forward, maybe get a mate to help with a few stubbies in hand. both can learn something new :)

curtis265
07-08-2009, 01:09 AM
Yeh it's not too hard, from what i've seen ppl do a million times.

Good luck with it.

dsire
07-08-2009, 02:11 PM
okay another question, I've been searching on ebay to find myself a decent set of HID kit. There are so many out there, the one I need to get to fit into my Honda Civic VTI-L is the H4 9006 size or something. But they also come in 35w and 55w and I have no idea what they are, or how many my car w my car uses.

So, could anyone that is familiar with these sort of things able to help me out, I want the one I want is 6k nothing more, nothing less. From what I heard, 6k would be legal to drive in as long as it's not pointed up on the opposite direction.

Wayne
07-08-2009, 02:23 PM
FD bulb size is HB4/9006.. 35w and 55w is the voltage given out from the ballast.. higher "w" give brighter beam.. but u wont see the different unless u park side by side of 35w and 55w.. i recommend 35w will be good enough.. cheaper.. not much different.. use lesser voltage of ur car.. and all the ebay kit.. try to observe it.. all are them are same thing beside the sticker of their brand.. becoz all from the great mainland of China.. hehe.. unless u getting Philips.. PIAA.. Kaixen.. IPF.. Raybrig.. ECON.. etc which is not from china i reckon.. =)

and FYI.. china kit HID cost is quite low.. if u bought the kit more than 150 USD.. means u paid more than market price.. =)

hope this help.. =)

liquid23
07-08-2009, 07:29 PM
i think 999 automotive in the trade section has 6k HIDs for $189 delivered. Not sure if it is gone or still on.
Your headlights should be pointing the right way already because it is to Australian standards. Unless you buy Angel eyes or Audi headlights then you need to make sure it is pointing the right way.
My HIDS are called eXtronic or something costed me $320. took 30mins to install and work perfectly. everything was simply plug and play.
i'm not sure about other brands, don't know much about HIDs

dsire
07-08-2009, 11:46 PM
i think 999 automotive in the trade section has 6k HIDs for $189 delivered. Not sure if it is gone or still on.
Your headlights should be pointing the right way already because it is to Australian standards. Unless you buy Angel eyes or Audi headlights then you need to make sure it is pointing the right way.
My HIDS are called eXtronic or something costed me $320. took 30mins to install and work perfectly. everything was simply plug and play.
i'm not sure about other brands, don't know much about HIDs

What's the difference between the one you have recommended and the one on ebay? Why is the one on ebay are so cheap and the one that you mentioned is so expensive?

The HID kit that I've HID kit (6k 35w, which includes slim version of ballast and 2 bulbs) seen for on ebay only go for around $80 AUD plus postage is there much of difference between the one you mentioned and the one I've seen on ebay? Can anyone please explain to me more in details please.

liquid23
08-08-2009, 02:20 AM
quality of bulb/ballast? its made in different countries could be the price difference.
Japan = $$ China = less $$
Itally = $$ India = less $$

OR

maybe it is all the same like if you buy something from a shop and you buy the same thing from another shop. different prices, same thing.

Wayne
08-08-2009, 02:38 AM
just buy the cheap 1 will do.. but make sure the warranty easy to claim if any problem appear.. =)

d@vid
08-08-2009, 10:09 AM
I use HID from china, they are fine. and easier on wallet as well :D

dsire
17-08-2009, 11:38 PM
I've installed it, is there a way in pointing the light downward or adjusting the light so that it doesn't point towards other driver? On my light there is sort of cable connecting outside the globe. what is the best way in point that?

liquid23
17-08-2009, 11:44 PM
If you haven't changed your headlights to a different kind. All Australian cars are already made that the right headlight is pointing downwards.
so it would look like this \_ \_ if you shine it to the wall
if buying new aftermarket headlights then you have to specify for R.H.D cause L.H.D will look like this _/ _/ shining towards on coming traffic.
So no you don't need to point anything anywhere just leave it as it is.

dsire
17-08-2009, 11:54 PM
If you haven't changed your headlights to a different kind. All Australian cars are already made that the right headlight is pointing downwards.
so it would look like this \_ \_ if you shine it to the wall
if buying new aftermarket headlights then you have to specify for R.H.D cause L.H.D will look like this _/ _/ shining towards on coming traffic.
So no you don't need to point anything anywhere just leave it as it is.

I bought my one from ebay, I didn't even know that there is such thing as R.H.D and L.H.D. I've just asked for a 9006 HID kit with 6k lumen.

I think my one is going _/ _/ because if i was to drive behind a car and the car that is in front of me I could actually see his mirror from inside and the street sign reflection that is about 15 metres above.

Is there a way I could fix this problem?

aero
18-08-2009, 12:09 AM
but arent u using oem headlights dsire? as liquid23 said, if ur using ur oem headlights, then the right headlight should be pointing downwards.

dsire
18-08-2009, 12:22 AM
but arent u using oem headlights dsire? as liquid23 said, if ur using ur oem headlights, then the right headlight should be pointing downwards.
No, I bought an HID kit which includes (9006 globes size for my Honda civic vti-l) from ebay.

Does it make any difference if i was to adjust the globe? A friend of mine said, you could point it downward a bit so that it won't be as bright to on coming traffic.

liquid23
18-08-2009, 12:38 AM
i mean like full replacement of the head lights
if you just buy a globe HID or non HID the headlight is already to Australian standards
different headlights meaning
Angel eyes
http://img18.imageshack.us/img18/4916/img0812kbo.jpg
OR
Audi
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/6365/img0907m.jpg

dsire
18-08-2009, 01:07 AM
i mean like full replacement of the head lights
if you just buy a globe HID or non HID the headlight is already to Australian standards

But the globe that came with the HID kit I got it from was from china, don't think it will comply with the Australian standards. I wish i just could adjust the bulb so that it just point down a bit so that it doesn't it won't reflect too much light onto the onward traffic.

:(

liquid23
18-08-2009, 01:24 AM
If you have HIDs it will reflect on sign posts and things because its so bright and its white. white reflects on anything.
Your Headlight piece, the entire thing that holds the lights together is that still Original? i.e that you have not change anything besides the bulb when you ordered your car from the dealership.
If you have change your headlight piece to the pictures shown above then it is a different story.
You are saying that you only bought the 6k HID kit from China. Which means its just a light bulb, it is not an entire headlight piece.
When buying a car in Australia all headlight piece are made to Australia Regulations. When you put the aftermarket 6k HID into the headlight then it should be ok. so you don't need to adjust anything.
F.Y.I - 6k HID is illegal but because they still are white, not having a blue tinge in it cops sometimes wont catch u for it. i think the legal limit is 5350 as these are on BMW, Chryslers, Mercs, etc you ask the dealership to put them in for you as an option.

aero
18-08-2009, 01:24 AM
lol its common for reflector headlights to just disperse light from hids everywhere. it happens many times no matter the quality of hid. ur not the only person that has a chinese hid kit one ur car. but it is pretty unsafe for other drivers on the road.
projector headlights will make so the beam is more focused, but the audm fd civics dont come with projector headlights out of the factory. hence, if u wanna fix this, its probably best to get some projector headlights but they will cost more moneyz... or u could always go back to halogen bulbs.

liquid23
18-08-2009, 01:33 AM
here is a thread on projectors in this forum
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92999
search is your friend

curtis265
18-08-2009, 05:41 PM
lol its common for reflector headlights to just disperse light from hids everywhere. it happens many times no matter the quality of hid. ur not the only person that has a chinese hid kit one ur car. but it is pretty unsafe for other drivers on the road.
projector headlights will make so the beam is more focused, but the audm fd civics dont come with projector headlights out of the factory. hence, if u wanna fix this, its probably best to get some projector headlights but they will cost more moneyz... or u could always go back to halogen bulbs.

Acura CSX's in canada don't come with OEM projectors, and they can have stock HID kits too...

Makes me think.

r3ckless
19-08-2009, 01:14 AM
so wot are other FD drivers doing with their hid kits, and not using projector headlights.. r u guys jsut blidning others lol?

curtis265
19-08-2009, 02:09 AM
Well i have a friend in an FD who's got HID's and his cutoff's pretty neat... even though he didn't know that his HID's are illegal....

wassup
19-08-2009, 08:58 AM
Alittle more info if your still stuck. Also some pics regarding beam pattern for the FD Civic.

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86589

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42642&page=3

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42642&page=4

curtis265
19-08-2009, 10:33 AM
yo wassup, ur cutoff's perfect...

but that's an FN2R right?

edmbranch
19-08-2009, 01:02 PM
so wot are other FD drivers doing with their hid kits, and not using projector headlights.. r u guys jsut blidning others lol?

yep..

wassup
19-08-2009, 04:50 PM
yo wassup, ur cutoff's perfect...

but that's an FN2R right?

No. it was my FD2 Sport. with slight adjustments to the headlights.

curtis265
19-08-2009, 11:07 PM
Oh ok. Looks great - just aimed it down..?

btw i love ur username.. lol