PDA

View Full Version : EK1 brake pads

VTECnique
06-08-2009, 05:50 PM
got some new tread on her y'day, they also did a check & said i needed to do the front brake pads. Looking on Bendix's website, for the ultimate pads. in the online catalogue, there's a choice for a 96-00 CXi, but only come in general pads. then there's another choice, EK1 4d sedan, that has the ultimate pads, but are a completely different looking shape pad compared to the 96-00 CXi. The EK1 4d (on bendix online catalogue) also has info for rear brakes which are drum, whereas the 96-00 CXi doesnt have any info. Are EK1 hatchback & sedan brakes exactly the same. So can i use sedan pads on my hatchback??

Raztaz
06-08-2009, 07:22 PM
the sedans are not the same as CXi, you have drums on the back and the sedan has discs all round. Sedan disc/brake set up same as EK4 i tihnk,can someone confirm??

LLS
06-08-2009, 07:23 PM
Yes EK sedan has 262mm disc size.. same as EK4
Whereas EK hatch uses 242mm disc

Killa From Manila
06-08-2009, 07:42 PM
http://gslrallysport.com/shop/

give those guys an email they stock performance pads for ek cxi. i havnt tried em but my friend rates em on his ralliart colt

VTECnique
07-08-2009, 06:41 AM
So, for a brake upgrade on an EK1 hatch, instead of sourcing them from an EK4 i can just get them off an EK1 sedan?!

VTECnique
09-08-2009, 03:40 PM
Another thing guys. to save making another thread, do i need to bleed the brakes after changing the brake pads?

Raztaz
09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35273 and http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=86852&highlight=brake+pads

Killa From Manila
10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
Another thing guys. to save making another thread, do i need to bleed the brakes after changing the brake pads?

no u dont. on an ek1 its easy like 2 bolts and u can push the piston in with ur fingers. remember to open ur resovoir up 1st and take some fluid out if its full to the top so it doesnt overflow

quang
16-08-2009, 04:30 PM
http://gslrallysport.com/shop/

give those guys an email they stock performance pads for ek cxi. i havnt tried em but my friend rates em on his ralliart colt

yes i agree, Greg from gslrallysport is great, really helpful, I got a set of QFM HPX pads, they are awesome! better than ultimates and only $90 delivered. they cut out the middleman between you and the manufacturer so it costs less.

quang
16-08-2009, 04:49 PM
as for finding the size of your pad, you will need to take your pad out and and match it to a bendix profile(you can print them off) or bring it in to a store and get them to match it. the civics are notorious for using different calipers throughout the 96-00 ek range. if you follow the write-up posted above, you can pretty easily take out the pads.

OR you can do what i did, print out some of the relevant profiles if its EK4 either DB1286 or DB 1262, grab a small ruler and match up on your pad:
the distance between the peaks of the curve on the bottom of the pad
the length from the bottom corner of the pad to the bottom of the insert
the width of the squealer

these three things are different between the two pads and you can measure them in the caliper without having to take the pads out. just have to take your wheel off.

as for bleeding the brakes, its not hard, you just need a friend to help. if you haven't done it for a while, i would say yes. but i found that my brake lost a little brake pressure when i changed mine, so i had to do it in the end. i'm sure that alot of other people didn't end up with any problems.

VTECnique
18-08-2009, 09:14 PM
well guys, did the pads today, everything went very well, until i got to the passenger side. when we (me & my dad) went to push the pass side piston back in, we noticed there was a little bit of brake fluid around the rubber seal. Obviously, a seal is not sealing properly. I dont know what seal it is & part number for it, & how to repair it. If you guys can give me a hand, it'd be very much appreciated.