PDA

View Full Version : Tein Basic Coilovers

DC5-4ME
07-08-2009, 12:05 AM
Hey guys,

I can get some brand new Tein Basic Coilovers for $990, i was just wondering if this was a good price to pay or if i can find them cheaper elsewhere? I just want to lower my car, not going to track it or anything. Or should i look at other brands for around the same price e.g. D2 coilovers. Or should i go with a spring/shock combo? I don't wanna spend over $1000 :D

- Julie

Rai-C
07-08-2009, 12:25 AM
haha id pay 990 for teins why not

cupnoodle
07-08-2009, 09:47 AM
Hi Julie,

Please post an update if you decide to purchase them. I want to lower my DC5R but must be girlfriend-friendly too (ie soft and comfortable)

45SET
07-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Hi Julie,

Please post an update if you decide to purchase them. I want to lower my DC5R but must be girlfriend-friendly too (ie soft and comfortable)

Cupnoodle: Pfft... stop being soft, atleast get some Tein SS coilovers, its not like your GF is going to be putting on make up, or drinking a hot coffee while you are driving... or going to be in the car every time you drive it. Tein Basic is probably going to be softer then stock, which is going to ruin a DC5R.

DC5-4ME: $990 sounds like a really good price for a set of height adjustable only Teins.

You could look at other brands, but with the Teins they are very well made, and they'll last.

cupnoodle
07-08-2009, 02:01 PM
Cupnoodle: Pfft... stop being soft, atleast get some Tein SS coilovers, its not like your GF is going to be putting on make up, or drinking a hot coffee while you are driving... or going to be in the car every time you drive it. Tein Basic is probably going to be softer then stock, which is going to ruin a DC5R.

I'm not as hard as some people on OH :o

I'd prefer a softer sussy setup cause i don't tackle corners like action man. I'd much prefer straight-line acceleration.

yourfather
07-08-2009, 02:24 PM
whippppppppped

TypeS
07-08-2009, 06:40 PM
I've got the basics, they're soft as, perfect for a daily :thumbsup:

Red_EG4
07-08-2009, 07:02 PM
Hey guys,

I can get some brand new Tein Basic Coilovers for $990, i was just wondering if this was a good price to pay or if i can find them cheaper elsewhere? I just want to lower my car, not going to track it or anything. Or should i look at other brands for around the same price e.g. D2 coilovers. Or should i go with a spring/shock combo? I don't wanna spend over $1000 :D

- Julie
I would suggest a spring/shock combo before basic coilovers.
When you lower the basic coilovers, you reduce the damper travel.
In a car as good as the DC5 I would look at higher quality alternatives.

DC5-4ME
07-08-2009, 07:31 PM
I've got the basics, they're soft as, perfect for a daily :thumbsup:

How soft exactly? Is it softer than stock? I don't want it softer than stock :(. Is your stock Type S suspension the same as my luxury or are they different?

What spring/shock combo would you recommend as i do not want to spend much more than 1k. I just want to lower my car a bit and have a decent ride.

Red_EG4
07-08-2009, 07:34 PM
What spring/shock combo would you recommend as i do not want to spend much more than 1k. I just want to lower my car a bit and have a decent ride.

Anything from a reputable brand. Koni's or Bilstein perhaps.

TypeS
07-08-2009, 07:59 PM

How can you offer a suggestion, when you have no experience with the coilover in question?

There is nothing wrong with basic coilovers. Lack of dampening adjustment does not make them inferior in quality. Basic's were made for a particular market; the daily driven street car.

Their objective is to improve the handling, in addition to, providing a height adjustable solution on a street car, which your spring/shock combo fails to do.

The daily driver, who is hardly going to track, does not need to fiddle with the damper, if all they will be doing is, driving on the street.

You don't need dampening adjustment with the basics. They come preset at 8 with 0 being stiff and 16 being soft. Which is perfect for street. Lower them as much as you want, mine are dropped to the max, ride quality is perfect, as well as the handling.

Basics have the same springs as your supreme SS's. For $990, heck it's one hell of a bargain. Why waste money on dampening adjustment, when you don't need it?

How soft exactly? Is it softer than stock? I don't want it softer than stock . Is your stock Type S suspension the same as my luxury or are they the same?

It's stiffer than stock, very smooth, the little bumps are felt whilst the big ones are taken care of easily. It'll now actually feel like a sports car :thumbsup:

You mean are they different? The stock type S suspension has stiffer springs/damper, but if your changing to coilovers it won't matter.

DC5-4ME
07-08-2009, 08:07 PM
How can you offer a suggestion, when you have no experience with the coilover in question?

There is nothing wrong with basic coilovers. Lack of dampening adjustment does not make them inferior in quality. Basic's were made for a particular market; the daily driven street car.

Their objective is to improve the handling, in addition to, providing a height adjustable solution on a street car, which your spring/shock combo fails to do.

The daily driver, who is hardly going to track, does not need to fiddle with the damper, if all they will be doing is, driving on the street.

You don't need dampening adjustment with the basics. They come preset at 8 with 0 being stiff and 16 being soft. Which is perfect for street. Lower them as much as you want, mine are dropped to the max, ride quality is perfect, as well as the handling.

Basics have the same springs as your supreme SS's. For $990, heck it's one hell of a bargain. Why waste money on dampening adjustment, when you don't need it?

It's stiffer than stock, very smooth, the little bumps are felt whilst the big ones are taken care of easily. It'll now actually feel like a sports car :thumbsup:

You mean are they different? The stock type S suspension has stiffer springs/damper, but if your changing to coilovers it won't matter.

LOL yeah i meant different. I think i've made up my mind. I think a good quality shock such as Koni or Bilstein matched with a good spring probably would be better than the Tein Basics but they are more than what i need and would also cost me well over $1200.

Red_EG4
07-08-2009, 08:08 PM

woah woah woah wait.
When did I say I had no experience? When did I say I had SS's? When did I say that the reason I felt their quality was inferior was due to a lack of damper adjustment?
I think you should take another look next time before you start attacking people who are only trying to offer help.

TypeS
07-08-2009, 08:15 PM
woah woah woah wait.
When did I say I had no experience? When did I say I had SS's? When did I say that the reason I felt their quality was inferior was due to a lack of damper adjustment?
I think you should take another look next time before you start attacking people who are only trying to offer help.

Hahah don't take it the wrong way I'm not attacking you. I'm just tired off the bad rep these basics are getting :(

Red_EG4
07-08-2009, 08:26 PM
Hahah don't take it the wrong way I'm not attacking you. I'm just tired off the bad rep these basics are getting :(

I have experienced them.
I have Tein Flex, not Super Streets.
When I look at and feel the Super Streets the quality doesn't feel as good as the Flex/Monoflex/Similar products from other companies.
I feel the DC5 would be downgrading to go to a Basic Coilover, perhaps I'm holding the DC5 in too high regard?
I think a lowering spring would be better.
Koni adjustable dampers offer enough height adjustment in my opinion.
Damping adjustment has hardly played a part in my impression of the basic coilover.
How many times have you adjusted your ride height?

TypeS
07-08-2009, 08:32 PM
I have experienced them.
I have Tein Flex, not Super Streets.
When I look at and feel the Super Streets the quality doesn't feel as good as the Flex/Monoflex/Similar products from other companies.
I feel the DC5 would be downgrading to go to a Basic Coilover, perhaps I'm holding the DC5 in too high regard?
I think a lowering spring would be better.
Koni adjustable dampers offer enough height adjustment in my opinion.
Damping adjustment has hardly played a part in my impression of the basic coilover.
How many times have you adjusted your ride height?

You drive an EK4 Civic, your experience means zilch; different springs, different car.
Yes you are holding the DC5 on a pedestal.

Numerous times, as a matter of fact. Have you taken into consideration the improvements in handling from the basics?

Red_EG4
07-08-2009, 08:48 PM
You drive an EK4 Civic, your experience means zilch; different springs, different car.
Yes you are holding the DC5 on a pedestal.

Numerous times, as a matter of fact. Have you taken into consideration the improvements in handling from the basics?
I drive an EG4
The Basic Dampers were not in my car.
There is no great difference between a shock for an Integra and a shock for a Civic, how could they make them cost effective if they fine tuned every damper to every model?
The difference may be spring rates, but spring rates aren't as important as the valving.
What difference in handling can the basic damper offer that a sport shock cannot?
Adjusting the height on the Basic Coilover/Super Street effects spring pre load and piston travel, which could be avoided with something like koni adjustables.
The springs on a coilover are liner spring rates, whereas you can have a progressive rate on a spring/shock combo.

yourfather
07-08-2009, 10:22 PM
yeah like how EG suspension fits DC2 and Ep3 and DC5 fit...

TypeS
08-08-2009, 01:36 AM
I drive an EG4
The Basic Dampers were not in my car.
There is no great difference between a shock for an Integra and a shock for a Civic, how could they make them cost effective if they fine tuned every damper to every model?
The difference may be spring rates, but spring rates aren't as important as the valving.
What difference in handling can the basic damper offer that a sport shock cannot?
Adjusting the height on the Basic Coilover/Super Street effects spring pre load and piston travel, which could be avoided with something like koni adjustables.
The springs on a coilover are liner spring rates, whereas you can have a progressive rate on a spring/shock combo.

When I say you have no experience, I am 98% certain you have never ridden in a DC5 with basics. Yes a DC5, not a civic or some other car but a DC5. Yes I understand the dampers will not vary greatly, but what they are attached to will. For example is civic eg4 suspension geometry the same as a DC5? No it’s not; DC5 uses the Macpherson struts on the front, while the civic uses the double wishbone. Hence, you can’t compare the two experiences with the same damper; it will be a different experience in terms of performance and ride quality, period.

Let’s not forget, a quality spring and shock setup, is going to cost well above $1000. And have you thought of blowing the shocks? Yes even aftermarket shocks are susceptible to blowing. Cruise around with a couple of fat asses for a while, and see how long the shocks last. Then what? You end up spending another $900 odd for new shocks. Why not just do it right the first time?

jeffreymui
08-08-2009, 02:03 AM
but i thought with tein when u lower ur car u'll also stuff up the preload which when it comes to play it'll stuff up the ride performace? anyway, if u were to go height adjustable only and not damper i think skunk 2 Pro S would be stiffer den stock and its height adjustable aswell

Red_EG4
08-08-2009, 12:24 PM
When I say you have no experience, I am 98% certain you have never ridden in a DC5 with basics. Yes a DC5, not a civic or some other car but a DC5. Yes I understand the dampers will not vary greatly, but what they are attached to will. For example is civic eg4 suspension geometry the same as a DC5? No it’s not; DC5 uses the Macpherson struts on the front, while the civic uses the double wishbone. Hence, you can’t compare the two experiences with the same damper; it will be a different experience in terms of performance and ride quality, period.

Let’s not forget, a quality spring and shock setup, is going to cost well above $1000. And have you thought of blowing the shocks? Yes even aftermarket shocks are susceptible to blowing. Cruise around with a couple of fat asses for a while, and see how long the shocks last. Then what? You end up spending another $900 odd for new shocks. Why not just do it right the first time?
My experience was not in a Honda at all, but it was in a heavier car which would be less harsh than in a light Honda.
What is so magical about a coilover that makes it invincible? A coilover shock is no different to normal sports shock, except it is housed in a body that is threaded to allow for height adjustment.

TypeS
08-08-2009, 03:32 PM
but i thought with tein when u lower ur car u'll also stuff up the preload which when it comes to play it'll stuff up the ride performace? anyway, if u were to go height adjustable only and not damper i think skunk 2 Pro S would be stiffer den stock and its height adjustable aswell

No you won’t stuff up the pre-load. Pre-load is dependent on weight not on travel. When raising and lowering the car, the spring is not going to get pushed down any less or more than usual. Hence it’s still going to get compressed the same amount. What will change is the stroke of the shock.

TypeS
08-08-2009, 03:40 PM
My experience was not in a Honda at all, but it was in a heavier car which would be less harsh than in a light Honda.

Hahaha your kidding right, you can accurately form an opinion off that? You can’t compare, how the basics will handle from your experience. You experienced them in a heavier car. Heavier cars require stiffer suspensions.
With the unadjustable damper, naturally the experience will be different to a lighter car. You can’t compare the two.

Unless you’ve experienced the basics in a DC5, you are not in any position to form an opinion.

What is so magical about a coilover that makes it invincible? A coilover shock is no different to normal sports shock, except it is housed in a body that is threaded to allow for height adjustment.

It’s not about invincibility; It’s about running matching springs and shocks, from the manufacturer.

Buying springs and shock kits is fine, if you’re going to run them together. Ideally we’d like to pick up a kit, which would give us the drop we’d want and the ride quality we craved.

Realistically it’s never going to happen (In the case of DC5, and humans). Problems start to arise when people start mixing and matching springs and shocks, in order to achieve that perfect balance.

That’s when you start, seeing aftermarket shocks, blowing in some cases.

Don't get me wrong, a spring and a shock setup can be a killer combination, if you know what your doing, sadly not many of us do.

Red_EG4
08-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Hahaha your kidding right, you can accurately form an opinion off that? You can’t compare, how the basics will handle from your experience. You experienced them in a heavier car. Heavier cars require stiffer suspensions.
With the unadjustable damper, naturally the experience will be different to a lighter car. You can’t compare the two.

Unless you’ve experienced the basics in a DC5, you are not in any position to form an opinion.

It’s not about invincibility; It’s about running matching springs and shocks, from the manufacturer.

Buying springs and shock kits is fine, if you’re going to run them together. Ideally we’d like to pick up a kit, which would give us the drop we’d want and the ride quality we craved.

Realistically it’s never going to happen (In the case of DC5, and humans). Problems start to arise when people start mixing and matching springs and shocks, in order to achieve that perfect balance.

That’s when you start, seeing aftermarket shocks, blowing in some cases.

Don't get me wrong, a spring and a shock setup can be a killer combination, if you know what your doing, sadly not many of us do.

All I'm trying to do is offer a different point of view on a discussion and you tell me that I am not allowed to.
Yes you would think that heavier cars require higher spring rates but in most cases the Tein suspensions for Hondas have higher spring rates than for larger cars, a commodore for example.
When I mentioned a spring shock combo, a kit was what I was referring to.
I think a progressive spring would be a lot better for this application, but since my opinion isn't wanted here good luck with your Tein Basic Coilover set up DC5-4ME.

DC5-4ME
09-08-2009, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the advice and the discussion guys.
I didn't mean for the topic to be fired up between you TypeS and Red_EG4.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
But hey, happy family? :)

45SET
09-08-2009, 10:10 PM
Wow... Sounds like your really trying to defend your purchase of Tein Basics "TypeS". Have you received a lot of crap for purchasing them?

Red_EG4 is offering an opinion, just because its not that same as yours, doesn't mean you can ride it out all together.

Also, your using this "shock blowing" argument... can you tell me what would prevent a coilover from blowing under the same situation? (IE Cruising around with a couple of fat asses for a while). I've known quiet a few people to have more problems with coilovers leaking (E.g D2) then with a decent set of springs/shocks... also never heard of anyone's shocks "blowing"... and if they have, 9/10 it would be due to age or doing stupid shit (Doing jumps)

Its almost like your saying coilovers are the "be-all-and-end-all" of suspension... if they are so good, and your conventional "Spring/strut" is so prone to "blowing" why do 99% of cars run spring/struts?

TypeS
10-08-2009, 01:50 AM
Wow... Sounds like your really trying to defend your purchase of Tein Basics "TypeS". Have you received a lot of crap for purchasing them?

That’s none of your business.

Red_EG4 is offering an opinion, just because its not that same as yours, doesn't mean you can ride it out all together.

Where have I ridden it out? Before you start running your mouth, read the thread first.
I’ve defended a product, which I have ACTUALLY used, comprehend?

Also, your using this "shock blowing" argument... can you tell me what would prevent a coilover from blowing under the same situation? (IE Cruising around with a couple of fat asses for a while). I've known quiet a few people to have more problems with coilovers leaking (E.g D2) then with a decent set of springs/shocks... also never heard of anyone's shocks "blowing"... and if they have, 9/10 it would be due to age or doing stupid shit (Doing jumps)

Oh so you’d like to nit-pick my posts now.

Why are you comparing “decent set of springs/shocks” to D2’s? We know D2’s are of cheap quality, so what’s your point?

Compare your decent spring/shocks to something decent like teins for gods sake. And no I haven’t heard teins leaking, as much as a shock blowing, from a lowered spring.

You’ve never heard of shocks blowing? Do you live under a rock? No it’s not from doing stupid shit. It’s from using a bad combination of springs with shocks. People want to go “low”, so what do they do? Get shorter springs. What do you think is going to happen?

Its almost like your saying coilovers are the "be-all-and-end-all" of suspension... if they are so good, and your conventional "Spring/strut" is so prone to "blowing" why do 99% of cars run spring/struts?

Don’t put words in my mouth. That was never implied.

Coilovers are the prime choice for your everyday Joe. You know why? Because your everyday Joe, wants something which will give him the drop and improvement in handling he wants, right out of the box. He doesn’t want to be running around trying different springs and shocks.

90% of the spring/strut kits on the market will never give the drop you’re after.
It may be too low or too high. Do you think people want to be running around trying different springs?

That’s where the market for coilovers come in. They provide an out of the box solution, which will give the drop you want as well as an improvement in handling.

For the hardcore trackers out there, springs and struts are perfect for them. They’ve got the time and knowledge to try out different springs, with different dampers to see which will run best with their setup.

But for your everyday Joe prebuilt coilovers are the way to go.

99% of cars run spring/struts is because the manufacturer’s actually know what their doing. The springs are catered to the shock.

They’re not just getting any spring and matching it with some random shock. Countless hours of R & D actually go into it.

Now here’s a question for you. Why do 90% of modders take out these springs/struts and go for coilovers? And yes that includes those tein SS’s your running.

burak213
10-08-2009, 08:01 AM
Julie, i find that having a firmer ride is better in my type S, doesn't bounce around as much and feels rigid. On my stock struts it was like a jumping castle on parramatta rd. So don't be too worried if people say its firmer than stock - its a good thing; for me anyways.

45SET
10-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Where have I ridden it out? Before you start running your mouth, read the thread first.
I’ve defended a product, which I have ACTUALLY used, comprehend?

You think I would start "running my mouth" without reading the entire thread? How do you think I came to the conclusion of you feeling the need to defend the Tein basics?

You have written it out when you told him that because he doesn’t own a DC5 his "experience means zilch". He is given his opinion on the matter (And he sounds like he knows what he is talking about). Just because it is completely different to yours and because he doesn’t own a DC5 doesn’t mean you tell him his "experience means zilch".

Oh so you’d like to nit-pick my posts now.

Why are you comparing “decent set of springs/shocks” to D2’s? We know D2’s are of cheap quality, so what’s your point?

My point is, if you buy cheap coilovers, or cheap spring/shocks, you'll have problems with them. You get what you pay for.

If you do research, and find a spring that isn’t going to be stupidly low, you won’t have problems. I know my older brother ran lowered King springs on his stock shocks on his Mirage for like 2 years (This was 6 years ago) and never had problems.

You’ve never heard of shocks blowing? Do you live under a rock? No it’s not from doing stupid shit. It’s from using a bad combination of springs with shocks. People want to go “low”, so what do they do? Get shorter springs. What do you think is going to happen?

No, I don't live under a rock. I personally tend not to associate with bogans (cut springs), or people that have no idea about cars. When I first bought my DC5R, it ran Eibach springs on the stock DC5R shocks (Hey look I can bold words to). I have since sold these to Burak, who loves them. I'm not sure how many K's are on the shocks, but they sat in my shed for about 2 years, and they are perfectly fine.

Don’t put words in my mouth. That was never implied.

Coilovers are the prime choice for your everyday Joe. You know why? Because your everyday Joe, wants something which will give him the drop and improvement in handling he wants, right out of the box. He doesn’t want to be running around trying different springs and shocks.

90% of the spring/strut kits on the market will never give the drop you’re after.
It may be too low or too high. Do you think people want to be running around trying different springs?

That’s where the market for coilovers come in. They provide an out of the box solution, which will give the drop you want as well as an improvement in handling.

For the hardcore trackers out there, springs and struts are perfect for them. They’ve got the time and knowledge to try out different springs, with different dampers to see which will run best with their setup.

But for your everyday Joe prebuilt coilovers are the way to go.

99% of cars run spring/struts is because the manufacturer’s actually know what their doing. The springs are catered to the shock.

They’re not just getting any spring and matching it with some random shock. Countless hours of R & D actually go into it.

Just to note… I only read through that once… about 20 min ago… and I’m kinda over this argument, because you seem like the type of person that HAS to have the final word.

Maybe if people read websites, and did a little research, they would know roughly how much springs are going to drop a car. Burak looked into it when he bought my springs, and he has said they are perfect height.

Now here’s a question for you. Why do 90% of modders take out these springs/struts and go for coilovers? And yes that includes those tein SS’s your running.

That's none of your business... naa... I'll actually give you an answer for that. When I bought my Tein SS (Far out, bolding is easy) almost 3 years ago, I had heard lots of good things about them, a few of my friends with DC5's (So that means there opinions would be valid... by your standards) were running Tein SS or HA's, and said they were good... so I got my Tein SS's 2nd hand for a bargin. In that time I have lowered (Lowest setting), and then raised it (To what it is now) once. After having these for 3 years, I’m actually considering changing to something a little more stiffer, as they are too soft for my liking... maybe you would be interested... would be a nice step up from Basics.

I would personally love to get some Ohlin's, but my brother (He owns a EG Civic) has been looking into getting some new suspension for his car (Currently runs height adjustable only coilovers), and he has been looking at a Koni shock/spring combo, and he has told me all about it (As he is the type of person to do research before he buys something), and he has come up with a fair few pro's & con's about both coilover and strut/spring combo's... but... I guess I'll have to do my own research as his car is differant to mine... so his research "means zilch".

TypeS
11-08-2009, 01:10 AM
You think I would start "running my mouth" without reading the entire thread? How do you think I came to the conclusion of you feeling the need to defend the Tein basics?

You have written it out when you told him that because he doesn’t own a DC5 his "experience means zilch". He is given his opinion on the matter (And he sounds like he knows what he is talking about). Just because it is completely different to yours and because he doesn’t own a DC5 doesn’t mean you tell him his "experience means zilch".

No you didn’t read the thread, otherwise you’d know exactly why his experience means zilch.

His experience means zilch because, he’s never used the basics in a DC5. His bullshit experience from some heavy non-honda car, does not give him any justification to disregard these coilovers, without experiencing them in a DC5 first, period.

It’s like me walking into a skyline forum, and telling everyone “Oh the basics are crap, buy something better, they were horrible in my honda”.

You think anyone’s going to give my opinion any weight? NO Why? Because it’s not the same car. Every car is different. Just because your experience wasn’t good in one car, it does not mean the same will happen in another.

Here’s an exercise for you; drive three different cars with the same coilovers.
Drive a R33, DC5, XR6 and tell me if the coilovers feel the same. I can GURANTEE you, they WON’T. That’s right, write it down. You heard it here first.

And in future, actually comprehend what I’m trying to say, before you start swinging from his nuts.

If you do research, and find a spring that isn’t going to be stupidly low, you won’t have problems. I know my older brother ran lowered King springs on his stock shocks on his Mirage for like 2 years (This was 6 years ago) and never had problems.

Bravo! Way to win an argument, champ! Not only you provide a biased example, but you do it in style too! I mean a Mirage? WOW, you go sir! Don’t trip on the sarcasm.

No, I don't live under a rock. I personally tend not to associate with bogans (cut springs), or people that have no idea about cars. When I first bought my DC5R, it ran Eibach springs on the stock DC5R shocks (Hey look I can bold words to). I have since sold these to Burak, who loves them. I'm not sure how many K's are on the shocks, but they sat in my shed for about 2 years, and they are perfectly fine.

First of all, you’re a douche for running lowered springs with stock shocks.
I pity they didn’t blow.

Secondly, I don’t care who you associate with, or who you don’t. This is not your autobiography. Keep it on topic.

And if you ran lowered springs on stock shocks, I don’t think you’re in any position to be feeling all high and mighty of yourself; you should place yourself, in the same category, as, “the people who have no idea about cars’. Irony at it’s finest.

Just to note… I only read through that once… about 20 min ago… and I’m kinda over this argument, because you seem like the type of person that HAS to have the final word.

And again what does this have to do with anything?

You need to stop writing useless dribble and get to your point. Just for the record, no-one’s twisting your arm, your posting at your own peril.

Maybe if people read websites, and did a little research, they would know roughly how much springs are going to drop a car. Burak looked into it when he bought my springs, and he has said they are perfect height.

Never assume anything. Not everyone’s going to research, people like to be spoon fed, welcome to life, how it’s lived today.

That’s why there’s a market for coilovers, because all the hard work is already done.

That's none of your business... naa... I'll actually give you an answer for that. When I bought my Tein SS (Far out, bolding is easy) almost 3 years ago, I had heard lots of good things about them, a few of my friends with DC5's (So that means there opinions would be valid... by your standards) were running Tein SS or HA's, and said they were good... so I got my Tein SS's 2nd hand for a bargin. In that time I have lowered (Lowest setting), and then raised it (To what it is now) once. After having these for 3 years, I’m actually considering changing to something a little more stiffer, as they are too soft for my liking...

Yes their opinions are valid, because they’ve actually experienced them in the DC5. They aren’t recalling an experience, from some bullshit car, they know from first hand experience, driving the same car as you.

So basically this is the life of your suspension in short;

You were cheap and bought lowered springs, while retaining your stock shocks.
Then you jumped on the Tein bandwagon, because all the cool kids were running them.
Now that you’re such an “enthusiast”, you need the justification for a stiffer setup.

Wow I would have expected something better, from someone who doesn't, “associate with people who know nothing about cars”.

maybe you would be interested... would be a nice step up from Basics.

And now your giving me advice? Oh please, a clue stick like you, should be the last person giving advice.

I would personally love to get some Ohlin's, but my brother (He owns a EG Civic) has been looking into getting some new suspension for his car (Currently runs height adjustable only coilovers), and he has been looking at a Koni shock/spring combo, and he has told me all about it (As he is the type of person to do research before he buys something), and he has come up with a fair few pro's & con's about both coilover and strut/spring combo's... but... I guess I'll have to do my own research as his car is differant to mine... so his research "means zilch".

What are you 10? My brother does this…brother does that…What’s with this infatuation with your brother?

However your brother sounds like, he knows what he’s doing, kudos to him. I’ve got nothing against people, who actually research before hand, and actually know what they’re doing.

And no his research won’t mean zilch. All it will mean is, you won’t be able to dismiss anything, before trying it into your car first. Kapish?

yourfather
11-08-2009, 01:24 AM
chill out man. its not that big a deal. $950 is a decent price and its a girly dc5. you don't wanna be sending her out there on racing coils

burak213
11-08-2009, 08:58 AM
good job TypeS, way to spam someones legit thread.

Julie let us know what happens with the coilovers or what you decide to buy :)

45SET
11-08-2009, 09:31 AM
*snip*

**** man... take a chill pill.

Edit: Ahh... **** it. I can't be bothered arguing with you about this.

You have made some valid points (Which I must say I have over looked), but some of the stuff you have said was uncalled for, such as the name calling (Calling me a douche for putting lowered springs with stock shocks in my car, even though I said I bought the car with them already installed), and the comments about my brother.

I still don't see there being a major problem with putting "certain" lowered springs with stock shocks if you have done research into it. As there are actually aftermarket springs that have been fabricated to be used with stock shocks (I beleive Tein & Eibach make a set of these for the DC5). Ofcourse, if you go out and buy a set of springs (Eg SSL Kings springs), and put them on your stock shocks, you would certainly experiance problems with these, but that would be expected.

Julie (Guessing thats the OP): Good luck with whatever you do.

Red_EG4
11-08-2009, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the advice and the discussion guys.
I didn't mean for the topic to be fired up between you TypeS and Red_EG4.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
But hey, happy family? :)
I have no hard feelings, this is what a forum is for right? stimulating discussion.
I hope our discussion has helped you, and apologies for making a bit of a mess in here.
Have you bought the Basic Coilover? would love to hear your review of them.

1900-hustler
11-08-2009, 12:18 PM
OP just get it..
sounds like a good deal.. and will suit your application

if it doesnt work out.. least you know that..
spend abit more then you can just upgrade your suspension and then sell them on here to people like..

ohshi-

Jon_51
11-08-2009, 01:52 PM
you’re a douche for running lowered springs with stock shocks.
I pity they didn’t blow.

There's a big difference to using lowered springs on stock shockabsorbers to using any spring on blown shocks. Calling someone names for doing so is silly. Worst case scenario your shocks blow xxxx kms before what they would've with the stock shocks.... and what's the resale on a set of stock shocks anyway?

A coilover shock is no different to normal sports shock, except it is housed in a body that is threaded to allow for height adjustment.
The stock suspension in my car was a 'coilover', - referring to the coil going around/over the shock? just because it's not Height and/or Damper adjustable doesn't mean it's not a coilover,
as opposed to a different suspension setup where the spring doesn't coil over the shock regardless of whether it's stock or 'sports'.

Red_EG4
11-08-2009, 07:47 PM
The stock suspension in my car was a 'coilover', - referring to the coil going around/over the shock? just because it's not Height and/or Damper adjustable doesn't mean it's not a coilover,
as opposed to a different suspension setup where the spring doesn't coil over the shock regardless of whether it's stock or 'sports'.
Ah yes, so stock is simply a 'coilover' system and the aftermarket products are 'adjustable coilover' dependant upon what is adjustable.

TypeS
11-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Edit: Ahh... **** it. I can't be bothered arguing with you about this.

You have made some valid points (Which I must say I have over looked), but some of the stuff you have said was uncalled for, such as the name calling (Calling me a douche for putting lowered springs with stock shocks in my car, even though I said I bought the car with them already installed), and the comments about my brother.

In my last post, I drifted aimlessly from defending a point to insulting you.

That was stupid of me and I apologize for that. That was not my intention at all. Oh and I didn’t realize they were already on the car. I didn’t mean to offend you or your brother. Personally I’ve dealt with Michael before, and I have nothing but good things to say :)

TypeS
11-08-2009, 11:02 PM
and what's the resale on a set of stock shocks anyway?

It's not about resale, it's about retaining your stock parts for the future, if and when required, to revert back to stock. Trust me there will be a time, when this occurs, whether due to a defect, sale of the car, or even for insurance purposes. When you'll be acquiring quotes of $1200+ from honda, for a set of shocks, that's when the real value of OEM parts is understood.

Before you jump the gun, not everyone is lucky enough to find 2nd hand oem parts, in the hour of need.

DC5-4ME
19-08-2009, 04:50 PM
Well guys, I got the coilovers but ... i haven't installed them LOL

yourfather
19-08-2009, 07:33 PM
pics or gtfo!

Timmy_B
20-08-2009, 12:52 PM
pics or gtfo!

hahahaha pics or ban..

Total cost??
you installing or paying someone to install??

Before and After pics

preludacris
20-08-2009, 01:20 PM
lol , wow this thread was ruined. stop arguing, i dont want to read this crap.

the thread starter has a dc5 luxury not a type R. I don't see how tein basic's would reduce the handling performance.

the teins are a good way to lower the car properly (ie, not a after market spring on a stock shock which will wear it out)

I have tein flex, and as I mainly do street driving, I've left the dampers on the same setting for ages....

DC5-4ME
25-08-2009, 12:51 PM
pics or gtfo!

If you get your facts right, it says above that I HAVEN'T installed them yet before you say "GTFO".

hahahaha pics or ban..

Total cost??
you installing or paying someone to install??

Before and After pics

I'm getting my bf's dad's friend to do it for me for about <$100.

And no, I still haven't installed them yet.

yourfather
25-08-2009, 03:42 PM
relax pics or gtfo aren't fighting werds, they're just saying we wanna see pics

DoAvl
25-08-2009, 10:29 PM
hey boys and girls.

i'm almost afraid to post in this thread for fear of .... well... swine flu.

anyway, got my basics** last week. gonna attempt to install them this saturday, along with some ESMM inserts. my gal is helpin me out, i'll try and take pics.

**yes i know, it's not a hardcore coilover. but i gotta take the R to work everyday, and the roads on west side melbourne aren't what you call... "smooth"...

burak213
26-08-2009, 09:24 AM
hey boys and girls.

i'm almost afraid to post in this thread for fear of .... well... swine flu.

anyway, got my basics** last week. gonna attempt to install them this saturday, along with some ESMM inserts. my gal is helpin me out, i'll try and take pics.

**yes i know, it's not a hardcore coilover. but i gotta take the R to work everyday, and the roads on west side melbourne aren't what you call... "smooth"...

that's crazy man good luck with the install, and ofcourse pics!!

Timmy_B
27-08-2009, 01:18 PM
Pics anyone?? lol

DoAvl
30-08-2009, 02:40 PM
yeah, tried to install the sussy and mounts myself. failed. i will get a real mechanic to do my dirty work. i'll stick to IT. :(

DC5-4ME
31-08-2009, 02:26 PM
So guys, here it is.

Finally took photos of my car :D

This is before I've got them done ...
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/27082009118copy.jpg http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/27082009122copy.jpg

Zee Box :)
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/13082009039copy.jpg http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/13082009052copy.jpg

And now ... with the coilovers :D
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/29082009155copy.jpg http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/28082009146copy.jpg
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/29082009148copy.jpg http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee224/joolifoo/29082009153copy.jpg

It's 2" at the front, 2.5" at the back.

- Julie

DC5.Raven
31-08-2009, 03:06 PM
Nice drop. Looks hot.
Love the DC5R Spoiler too!

Hows the ride btw?

DC5-4ME
31-08-2009, 04:10 PM
Nice drop. Looks hot.
Love the DC5R Spoiler too!

Hows the ride btw?

Thanks heaps! :)

The steering wheel is stiffer and the bumps are harder but it's not "bouncy" anymore - very much satisfied :D

Timmy_B
31-08-2009, 04:29 PM
hmmm nothing beats a dropped DC5.. :)
are you happy with it?
Is that the lowest the coils can go?
any camber?

DoAvl
31-08-2009, 07:19 PM
ooOOhhh... looks great!

what are those things on top of the tein box?

i've got my box sittin in the garage doing diddly squat because i couldn't get my current suspension off myself. i think i will put the tein stickers on my snowboard.

i've actually got some pedders springs + stock shocks (came with the car when i bought it) on at the moment, lowered to about the same as yours. but the shocks are worn and hence i need a replacement.

TypeS
31-08-2009, 10:00 PM
Looks good :thumbsup: put a nice rear sway bar and it will feel even more solid.

DC5-4ME
04-09-2009, 09:31 AM
hmmm nothing beats a dropped DC5.. :)
are you happy with it?
Is that the lowest the coils can go?
any camber?

YESSSS :D
Very satisfied :)
I think it can go lower? Not 100&#37; sure though
No camber.

ooOOhhh... looks great!

what are those things on top of the tein box?

i've got my box sittin in the garage doing diddly squat because i couldn't get my current suspension off myself. i think i will put the tein stickers on my snowboard.

i've actually got some pedders springs + stock shocks (came with the car when i bought it) on at the moment, lowered to about the same as yours. but the shocks are worn and hence i need a replacement.

The things on top of the box is the Spoon Air filter and Mugen pedals -- but I'm trying to get rid of them - used it for one day and don't like it.

Why don't you try to get a pro to do it for you?
I got my wheel alignment done at Pedders cus the coilovers put them off and I was curious about how much they charge for coilover installation so I asked - it's like $350 -- but each Pedders store is different so double check.

DoAvl
06-09-2009, 03:11 PM
Why don't you try to get a pro to do it for you?
I got my wheel alignment done at Pedders cus the coilovers put them off and I was curious about how much they charge for coilover installation so I asked - it's like $350 -- but each Pedders store is different so double check.

Yeah, I had a few quotes a few weeks ago from various places (including Pedders0, but they were a bit expensive and I thought I'd rather use that money to get some tools to do it myself. More for the learning experience than anything.

Now I realise I'll have to get a pro to do it properly, cause I'm pretty sure I was breaking something when I was trying to hammer the old suspension out of the tie rod? Lesson learnt... leave it to the pro's. LOL

So your new setup should've settled a bit by now, how's the ride so far?

Stinger13
10-09-2009, 04:27 PM
Hows things with the basics? Still happy? Hows the ride/comfort and does it feel alot more tight around corners. I'm looking into these pretty thoroughly, but mainly want to know if the handling is improved or wether it is mainly a case of lowering. Does anyone think these would hold up better for the odd track day (im talkin 1-2 time a year) than say spoon progressive springs.

Thanks

DoAvl
20-09-2009, 01:46 AM
hey hey

just got these installed today (finally!) thanks to my cuz.

plus:
- more comfortable ride for everyday driving
- car feels more stable (coz my shocks were worn)
- more in control of my car

minus:
- not as stiff as the pedders lowered springs i had in
- acceleration seems to have been affected slightly, was better with the pedders.

on the whole, quite happy with it and will stick with it till my dc5r becomes a project car instead of my everyday car.

on a side note, got some energy inserts installed at the same time... vibrations galore, but it helps keep the engine in place (front mount was torn) and solves that 2nd gear crunch problem.

DC5-4ME
21-09-2009, 12:10 AM
Hows things with the basics? Still happy? Hows the ride/comfort and does it feel alot more tight around corners. I'm looking into these pretty thoroughly, but mainly want to know if the handling is improved or wether it is mainly a case of lowering. Does anyone think these would hold up better for the odd track day (im talkin 1-2 time a year) than say spoon progressive springs.

Thanks

The basics are goooood - for me it is!
Well I'm a girl and I think that it's fine for my daily driving but I wouldn't know what the boys would say about it.
I think my ride has sank down just a tad lower -- realised that I scraped today at some speed humps at shopping centres.
Corner turn? :thumbsup:

hey hey

just got these installed today (finally!) thanks to my cuz.

plus:
- more comfortable ride for everyday driving
- car feels more stable (coz my shocks were worn)
- more in control of my car

minus:
- not as stiff as the pedders lowered springs i had in
- acceleration seems to have been affected slightly, was better with the pedders.

on the whole, quite happy with it and will stick with it till my dc5r becomes a project car instead of my everyday car.

on a side note, got some energy inserts installed at the same time... vibrations galore, but it helps keep the engine in place (front mount was torn) and solves that 2nd gear crunch problem.

That is awesome!
About time that you have gotten them installed.
Do you like it more now? See any difference?

DoAvl
21-09-2009, 06:39 PM
quite a lot of difference now that the shock absorbers are actually working. and a bit more comfortable now for the daily drive because i'm not all over the place and the tyres are making more contact with the road.

discovered today that the engine movements have sadly increased, even with the mount inserts in. i was hoping that the mount insert for the front torn mount would have helped... but no :( now i've got all the vibrations and the noise of stiffer mounts... AND the wheel hopping. driving like a turtle at the moment.

but yeah, back to the suspension. will probably get an alignment next week once the springs settle a bit :)

albert107
25-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Go for Bilstein basic is a good one gain 30% from your oem.