PDA

View Full Version : coilovers

sakitumi
07-08-2009, 12:55 AM
hey there

just want to know if its worth buying a set of coilovers if one of the rear shocks has a knocking noise?
would it cause problems in the future i.e it started to leak?

is it possible to get that fixed? if so approximately how much would it needed to get fixed.

cheers

JohnL
07-08-2009, 08:37 AM
Leaking is far from the only problem you might encounter if the damper fails. There are plenty of useless worn out dampers that don't leak at all.

Most dampers can't be repaired, but some can be, such as Koni and Bilstein (which are probably the only two brands you're remotely likely to find that can be rebuilt, though it may not be cheap...).

Personally I wouldn't even consider purchasing S/H dampers if they showed any signs whatsoever of not being in perfect condition. Even dampers that may seem good off the car (pumping them up / down by hand) may not perform well on the car (where forces are much greater than you can create by hand), so buying dampers that are noisy and / feel bad off the car is just crazy.

vinnY
07-08-2009, 09:52 AM
just an fyi, i emailed top performance a while back and enquired about servicing koni yellows for my ek

Yes we can service them. Around $80 per damper.

outatime
07-08-2009, 10:05 AM
no.. just buy brand new and you can't go wrong.. You can get the Tokiko Illumina Coilovers for like 1300 shipped from the US.

sakitumi
07-08-2009, 12:29 PM
thanks for the help guys.
my budget is kind of low for new coilovers but i guess its worth it for brand new ones
might just start saving for them unless i go for the springs and shocks combination

trism
07-08-2009, 12:42 PM
ive got a set of coilovers for sale only 5000km on them, in brand new condition, tried to pm you wouldnt let me.

sakitumi
07-08-2009, 04:56 PM
really? why is that?
i get pm from others i think? LOL

trism
08-08-2009, 02:02 AM
sakitumi has chosen not to receive private messages or may not be allowed to receive private messages. Therefore you may not send your message to him/her.

nope i cant lol

JohnL
08-08-2009, 10:57 AM
just an fyi, i emailed top performance a while back and enquired about servicing koni yellows for my ek

Thanks for that. Did they give any idea on turn around time?

JohnL
08-08-2009, 11:00 AM
no.. just buy brand new and you can't go wrong.. You can get the Tokiko Illumina Coilovers for like 1300 shipped from the US.

For that sort of money I think you'd be very well advised to check out for what $ you can purchase Koni Yellows ('Sports') for locally. I'll bet it's significantly less, and the Koni is a much superior damper...

vinnY
08-08-2009, 12:01 PM
wasn't too sure about turn around time, most likely 7-14 days or so at a guess