PDA

View Full Version : Cold Air Intake!!!

*vtec-screamer
07-08-2009, 01:09 PM
*closed*

trism
07-08-2009, 01:25 PM
the cold air intake has nothing to do with the engine temperature. thats the job of the radiator.

also, you dont want the engine temp to be near cold, because the optimal operating temperature is when the needle is up around the middle.

gumbel
07-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Your car is fine.

Your mate's car probably needs to change the thermostat.
I had the same condition with your mate on my dc2 vtir with CAI, once i replace the thermostat, the temp back to normal. It seems my old Thermostat is leaking, therefore the coolant keeps get in to the engine.
I think VTEC will not engage if the engine temp too cold.

rmalov
07-08-2009, 03:40 PM
ur mates cars on smack if his CAI is cooling the car down lmaooo..

dinorider
08-08-2009, 12:38 AM
sweet-as thanks for the comments guys =)

gotta vtec soon, but too many cops on a friday night true. haha

First off, your mate's really, really ignorant.

The temp gauge reads your coolant temperature. Look at the stickys at the top of this sub forum. The DC2 and DC4 OEM thermostats stick open when they fail, resulting in coolant constantly running through the engine at full chat, whatever the engine temp. This combined with the cool air rushing in through the radiator means that the engine is always too cold at regular driving speed.

The thermostat is supposed to automatically close off the coolant when the engine is cold, helping it to get to operating temperature quicker. Then once it reaches a preset temprature, the thermostat pops open to allow the coolant to keep the temp at the optimal level.

A thermostat that fails in open position is better than one that fails in closed position. If the thermostat is jammed closed, no enough coolant runs through the engine and it overheats. Kaboom.

In these VTEC engines, engine temperature is a prerequisite for VTEC firing. If the engine doesn't get to operating temp (about 45% on the temp gauge), VTEC won't fire no matter how you rev it.

The CAI has absolutely nothing to do with the temp gauge.

OMG.JAI xD
08-08-2009, 12:12 PM
Lol. Simply. Lol.

Have fun vtecing.

rmalov
08-08-2009, 01:38 PM
haha vtec the cop cars window lol, only do first gear but lol.

saikou27
08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
id be more worried about driving around with no indicator lights. please tell me you put them back on