PDA

View Full Version : 18" rims with 215/35R18 Tyres rubbing guard lip

filo
10-11-2004, 07:34 PM
Just got my 18" chromies today, with a 215/35R18 tyres.

Now I have a problem with tyres rubbing the guard.

I had my old wheels and tyres at the back so its kinda loaded. Anyway, when making turns at a say 30kph (round abouts and not so sharp turns) the front tyre is rubbing the lip of the guard. But when I'm making sharp turns, like the steering wheel fully locked to one direction and slowly move the car the tyres wont rub. I figured that the weight of the car is transferred to one side when turning at a speed and it pushes that side down making the tyres rub the guard.

Just tested my car again with me in the car only. There were no rubbing or anything like that. There were no problems also when I have one passenger.
However, when turning at a speed and if there's a bump on the road it still rub the lip. Like when it hit the bump I can hear the tyre rub the guard

Do you guys reakon it's time for me to upgrade my suspension system? You know like changing springs and shocks? After I put my 18" wheels on, the car went up a bit, but because I'm having problem with tyres rubbing, I'm not sure if I'm going to get it lowered.

Anyways, what brand or type of springs and shocks would be the best and how much you think I will be spending on it (parts and fitting)? If you guys have these set up and had your car lowered and have no problems, how low did you get it lowered?

Pre_ludachris
10-11-2004, 07:57 PM
thinking about ur problems.
i might get 17s instead.
im not in the mood to have headaches

filo
10-11-2004, 09:01 PM
thinking about ur problems.
i might get 17s instead.
im not in the mood to have headaches

I actually decided to get 17s too because I was told that with 17s you wont sacrifies too much power plus you can lower your car to 1.75 as I was told or read. But when I went to tempe tyres I found out that its only a few hundred dollars difference between 17s and 18s so I took 18s instead.

Anyway, I'll keep you posted how I go with this problem. I really have to fix this before saturday.

Pre_ludachris
10-11-2004, 09:09 PM
tempe tyres are a bunch or arrogant air heads..
ohh..not to mention a couple of hundred dollars dearer

filo
10-11-2004, 09:38 PM
tempe tyres are a bunch or arrogant air heads..
ohh..not to mention a couple of hundred dollars dearer

heheheheh you are a bit late there mate.... you should have told me that earlier. About them being arrogant air heads well I cant comment on that 'cause they looked after me very well when I was there. About their prices well I really havent compared prices so far, 'cause the rims that I wanted are not sold on other tyre stores.

vtek
10-11-2004, 11:46 PM
get the guards rolled, simon the owner of road rage runs on 265s..dunno why you are having problems

redliner
11-11-2004, 07:28 PM
i had that problems with my 17" cant imagine 18"

filo
11-11-2004, 09:59 PM
get the guards rolled, simon the owner of road rage runs on 265s..dunno why you are having problems

how much you reakon to get the guards rolled?

Pre_ludachris
11-11-2004, 10:43 PM
i had that problems with my 17" cant imagine 18"

thats cos ur tyre could do with a visit to jenny craig!

bennettaru
18-11-2004, 05:41 PM
your wheels are too big!

just get smaller ones, they look much better anyways

vtek
18-11-2004, 06:29 PM
how much you reakon to get the guards rolled?

50 a guard last time i asked

A'PEXi
18-11-2004, 11:44 PM
215 tyres aren't that fat.... not sure why your having problems, is the car lowered at all?... maybe the wheels are the wrong offset. you could either get the car raised, change the wheels, roll your guards, or adjust your camber.

ian
19-11-2004, 10:14 AM
hey, i'm rolling on 18x7.5 rims with 215/35r18 rubber..........and i've got a Civic Vtir coupe lowered with King Springs and stock shocks. I've no problems with rubbing in the rear and only very slight/un-noticeable rubbing on the front only on sharp fast turns when there are bumps.........try to ease of braking on the turns, coz like you said when you brake the weight of the car is transferred to the opposite side you're turning and it will rub. good luck anyways.

Pre_ludachris
20-11-2004, 09:24 PM
ive got 18s and they are goin great

filo
20-11-2004, 09:40 PM
hey, i'm rolling on 18x7.5 rims with 215/35r18 rubber..........and i've got a Civic Vtir coupe lowered with King Springs and stock shocks. I've no problems with rubbing in the rear and only very slight/un-noticeable rubbing on the front only on sharp fast turns when there are bumps.........try to ease of braking on the turns, coz like you said when you brake the weight of the car is transferred to the opposite side you're turning and it will rub. good luck anyways.

I guess you are right, there is only rubbing when going humps and turning tight turns when the car is fully loaded other than that its pretty good. Besides I rarely take more than one passenger anyway so it's all good.