PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Short Shifter in 1998 Civic Gli

Spite84
10-11-2004, 07:59 PM
Hey, could someone give me hints as to how this is installed, does it go in through the top (if so, how) or do you need to get under the car and pull the tranny apart to slip it in?

Any estimates as to how much this would cost for someone to do (i dont have the means to get under my car to work on it safely), or can i do this job myself easily?

Z
10-11-2004, 08:39 PM
What a coincidence, I installed mine today into my EK :D

You have to get under the car, disconnect shift rods etc to get the old one out, then basically do the reverse to put the new one in. Did your shifter not come with instructions?

Spite84
10-11-2004, 08:44 PM
Cool,

How long did that take you?
Have you got access your own lift, if not, how did you get under there? I'm not just gonna crawl under with it on a jack.

Z
10-11-2004, 08:56 PM
Took me about 1.5-2 hours - had a bit of difficulty with exhaust hangers :o however people have gotten it done in ~1hour or less.

Dont use jacks alone. I used car ramps.

Spite84
10-11-2004, 09:08 PM
Car ramps are those little steel ramps that go up onto a flat platform, yeh? and you need 4 i'm assuming, cant just put up the front or the back?

nobbs
10-11-2004, 09:17 PM
dude u will need to only put the front up

i think its physically impossible to put ur car up onto 4 ramps!

Z
10-11-2004, 09:17 PM
I just raised the front, but raising the front and back would have helped me alot.

Car ramps would probably not work for raising both front and back. I had to take off my front bar because it was hitting the ramps before i could get up them (on stock ride height :o )

So, it can be done just raising the front, but rasing front and back would obviously make it easier :D

imashy14u
11-11-2004, 08:34 AM
First you gotta take your centre console out, get under the car and disconnect all the links from the stock shifter and then the stock shifter just pops out.

Jack up the car, put it on stands and everything will be fine.

Took me about 1hr from when the car was jacked up to when it was jacked down. Not as hard as you think