PDA

View Full Version : Weird noise what could it be ?

NightKids
08-08-2009, 09:56 PM
Hi guys

My dad just chucked on some new front rotors and changed all 4 pads for me.

Problem is now during take off, or hard braking it sometimes makes this little clunking noise. This can mainly be heard when I'm moving forward about to take off or if i brake a little harder.

Akmotorworkz said that I'll have to change my front left wheel bearing cause when I turn from right to left really hard it makes this loud metal noise but I'm not sure if this is related.

Any clues what we should be looking out for when we Jack up the car tommorow? Thanks in advance

jeffreymui
08-08-2009, 10:02 PM
when i had brand new rotors and pads, the first 2 days i had that noise, i duno how many days it had been on urs, but my mechanic said its normal for the first day or 2 to be like that, after they are sit in properly the noise will be gone, or even some clips are not in properly when installed?

Mikecivic78
08-08-2009, 10:19 PM
couple 'o days mate...wait and see. Do u know what f**ked wheel bearings sound like?

OMG.JAI xD
08-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Check your caliper bolts are FT. Fcuking Tight.

It isnt normal for a clunking noise to be there after brake replacement.
Bearings dont make a clunking sound, more like a grinding sound.

Take the wheels off. Check that the rotors are sitting flush.
Check that you have no suspension components disconnected.
Check swaybar links, it may be busted.
Check if you have excessive movement in the sway bar.
Check control arm bushes condition.
Check your springs havent slipped out.
In the engine bay. Check your strut top mount bolts are tight ( the bolts that hold the strut. On the strut tower in the engine bay. )

Thats about all i can think of that can or is effected by take off or hard braking.
Oh and check that the tension shims on the brake pad bracket/caliper bracket are on. They act as a retaining mechanism for the pads. Not sure if your car has it. But i know on most cars they have it or should have it. Either its apart of the pad or its a seperate shim.

NightKids
08-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Thanks guys, dunno whether to wait a few days or look at it straight away tommorow.

I'll definately look at the things Jai mentioned if anyone else has had this experience pls share