PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Euro makes wheezing sounds

JPEG
08-08-2009, 11:36 PM
Hi guys,
i just bought a 2003 Accord Euro and its had about 125000km's on it...
When it starts on a cold start it tends to make this loud wheezing noise and it seems to be coming from somewhere near the geabox....anyone had this problem?
And it also makes a slight wheezing sound when it drives...but i can only hear it when im next to a wall or something...
Help would be much appreciated guys...

Oh and where would be a good place to get it looked at?
Dont really trust honda dealers....

OMG.JAI xD
08-08-2009, 11:49 PM
Is it a WHOOOOP sound?

If it is. Been covered. Multiple times.

If its a "electric buzzing sound" Its your actuator on the gearbox.

JPEG
08-08-2009, 11:52 PM
I see so I should just go to a dealer and get it fixed? Thanks for help btw

OMG.JAI xD
09-08-2009, 11:07 AM
Oh lol well if its loud then i guess you can get it looked at.

But on autos its normal to get slight buzzing sounds. There is alot of electronics involved in auto boxes.

Unless youre experiencing jerking or loss of power or any other type of abnormalities, then go to honda.

But they might charge you for it.

JPEG
09-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I see so it's a normal thing then? I think it's that electronic buzzing sound thingy. Well I'll save up some cash and let Honda have a look then. Thanks again Mate you've been very helpful. But in the meantime it's not jerking or anything. Runs pretty smoothly actually. Will let it ride till I get some cash. Thx again.

sodhi90
09-08-2009, 06:10 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but i have a auto 03 euro and i get a sort of turbo whistle when slowing down (most evident against a wall, i don't really worry but it must be normal. anyone else have a turbo style whistle?

OMG.JAI xD
09-08-2009, 08:46 PM
Sorry to hijack the thread but i have a auto 03 euro and i get a sort of turbo whistle when slowing down (most evident against a wall, i don't really worry but it must be normal. anyone else have a turbo style whistle?

You have to consider the fact that honda autos are not like other normal auto gearboxes.

It utilises the same concept of a manual gear box. Which means it uses gears in the same setup or similar setup like a manual box.

So that whirring sound can be an "over-run" sound, when the box is driving the engine.

Its like leaving a manual car in 2nd gear and lifting off without popping the clutch in.

Its more like a supercharger whine rather than turbo.

kingfoo
10-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I get that sound too and I have a manual. And yeah it sounds more like a supercharger whine lol.

JPEG
19-08-2009, 11:11 PM
well if it gets worse...you need a rebuild mate...cause my noise got louder and louder...especially when its in neutral....gearbox place said i spun a bearing...so better fix it before the bearing shatters....
hope this helps people with the same noise...

mrdouble08
23-08-2009, 02:23 PM
Is it a WHOOOOP sound?

If it is. Been covered. Multiple times.

If its a "electric buzzing sound" Its your actuator on the gearbox.

My car makes a whining noise when cold starting it - nothing major but OMG-JAI, are you able to shed some light as you said it has been covered multiple times?

Tried doing a search and couldn't find anything...

aaronng
25-08-2009, 10:27 AM
My car makes a whining noise when cold starting it - nothing major but OMG-JAI, are you able to shed some light as you said it has been covered multiple times?

Tried doing a search and couldn't find anything...

Listen to the engine bay with the bonnet up. Try to pinpoint the source of the whining. I reckon it is either the power steering pulley or the accessory belt tensioner pulley.

sodhi90
25-08-2009, 02:39 PM
mine also whines on cold start, i might oil the tensioner pulley and see what that does. i got loud injectors too which i have noticed alot of euros with over 50k on them , would injector cleaner help on these engines at all? cheers

aaronng
25-08-2009, 04:07 PM
mine also whines on cold start, i might oil the tensioner pulley and see what that does. i got loud injectors too which i have noticed alot of euros with over 50k on them , would injector cleaner help on these engines at all? cheers

Don't use injector cleaner. All Euros have loud injectors. I have a video of my car back in 2005 when it had about 10000-15000km and the injectors were hell loud already. 4 years on, injectors are still loud but the engine runs fine.

Don't oil the tensioner pulley. You will get oil on the belt and it will start slipping. When it starts slipping, then you lose your charging, air cond compressor and power steering. You can replace the tensioner pulley if it is noisy. I bought a replacement and will swap mine over when I have time. I will probably try to pull the bearing apart to see if it is regreaseable. If you can wait, I'll do a DIY for it so you can follow it.

mrdouble08
26-08-2009, 01:28 PM
Listen to the engine bay with the bonnet up. Try to pinpoint the source of the whining. I reckon it is either the power steering pulley or the accessory belt tensioner pulley.

No worries - I'll try to diagnose it on the weekend and post my results