PDA

View Full Version : Is POD Filter Bad for the Car ??

Ozwolfbane
10-11-2004, 09:05 PM
Hi,
I have some possible misconceptions or they are true i dunno... :honda:

I think that installing a Aftermarket POD filter increases Fuel Consumption and confuses the Oxygen sensor and fuel to air/ratio due to increased airflow...

It might give a bit of extra horsepower but i dont wanna increase fuel consumption as i do a lot of travelling.

So will installing one do any such thing ?

what are the CONS ??

ta

mytoycivic
10-11-2004, 09:34 PM
well quite the contrary...a pod will actually increase efficiency slightly...they are better filters than your standard box so whatever you heard its wrong!!!

one bad thing may be is that some people have their filters too close to a heat source hence the air that is being sucked in is actually hot air... (vouch...i think this is right)

Terry
10-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Never fit a pot air filter on auto car! Thats my advice...... :D

PS:Best thing u can get in the market is a Mugen pot air filter inside the specially designed air box.

KB
10-11-2004, 10:31 PM
well quite the contrary...a pod will actually increase efficiency slightly...they are better filters than your standard box so whatever you heard its wrong!!!

one bad thing may be is that some people have their filters too close to a heat source hence the air that is being sucked in is actually hot air... (vouch...i think this is right)Exactly! Since the filter is less restrictive, one would think the engine doesn't have to work as hard to suck in air thus using less fuel.
Well with my stock EJ airbox it actually sucks in air from the engine bay anyway.

So in my case;
STOCK = restrictive hot air intake.
POD = less restrictive hot air.

P.S. When I have my pod in I don't notice any loss in power or higher fuel consuption. I still get 450 - 500 a tank.

michael_antoi
11-11-2004, 05:36 PM
so mugen is a good brand, what else is decent in the 100-150 price range?

simpdogg
11-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Why not put a pot filter on a auto car? whats the differance

redliner
11-11-2004, 05:47 PM
only bad thing about it for your car is it is defectable :)

dundas
11-11-2004, 05:54 PM
umm one of the guys in the for sale-- in traders section was selling pretty cool intake systems with like a FULL MUgen style heat shield box--- looks nice too-

if you really want just get an aftermarket PANEL filter EG K&N (they have like 1 million kms warranty)... and umm clean your stock box up... remove any unecssary restrictive barriers.... add da panel filter.,.. and then finally add a cold air feed to the original intake ^_^ das just my suggestions if you want to stay legal ^_^

Terry
11-11-2004, 05:59 PM
pot air filter will make auto car lost the most needed low end torque.

simpdogg
11-11-2004, 06:13 PM
so will it increase the high end torque on a auto, some info that i was told was that if you sacrifice bottom end you gain top end and vice versa,what is the most effective way to get cold air into a stock box? and would it be better to replace the filter with a K&N panel filter?

Terry
11-11-2004, 06:17 PM
But the "High End" is limited by the gear box......most auto gear box wont let u rev to the Red Zone.....I try both b4......my final conclusion is to get the CAI together with the drop in air filter :D

Setanta
11-11-2004, 06:32 PM
Pod by itself = bad ( < in air density due to drawing in hot air).
Pod plus CAI = good but may reduce throttle response a tad (who cares at high revs).
Filter panel = good compromise if you are drawing from an external source with your stock box.

Ozwolfbane
11-11-2004, 06:43 PM
ok im scared of Pods now....too many diff opinions and variations and not much increase in power if at all....

so whats so good about K & N ? Why would i buy them rather than some cheap filter ?

joneblaze
11-11-2004, 09:54 PM
*sigh*... SEARCH. There are at LEAST 8 good sized threads on this issue. Do some independent research and don't take on board the mostly inaccurate BS of every Tom, Dick and Harry.....

simpdogg
12-11-2004, 12:06 AM
Are you talking about a K&N pod filter or a K&N Panel filter?

Ozwolfbane
12-11-2004, 01:57 AM
panel filter....im giving up on pods...my las integra had it...prelude doesnt..and i dont wanna put one in now...not worth the risk !

Cyrus
20-11-2004, 03:55 PM
well,...one important thing in choosing a good performance filter is make sure it does the mesh is fine enough that it does filter dust....i had a HKS pod before...bloody mesh has holes the size of a wasp nest..