PDA

View Full Version : ITR steering wheel

johnny5
09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Really hoping that someone would be able to help me out here with my problem. At the moment just trying to figure out if there is anyone who has had the same problem as me...

I wanna swap over my 94' dc2 vti-r streering wheel with a 99' ITR wheel... i've looked at previous threads on ozhonda, spoken to Cypher Industries (WA), spoken to people who know what they're talking about... and they all tell me the same thing. OEM to OEM should be a direct fit. Even more so since both are DC2's

Brought it over to my mechanic a couple of weeks ago to do the swap. He had a look, took out my steering wheel and said that he couldn't do the swap. Apparently I have to change steering columns to get it fitted!!! Haven't had time to send it in to another mechanic as most places close on weekends.

Anyone run into the same problem as me? Or at least have any idea whats goin on? Trying to avoid taking a day off work just to sort out this mess...

Any input will be greatly appreciated guys. THANKS!

90LAN
09-08-2009, 07:34 PM
tell your mechanic to give you a refund
it is a straight fit

geeang
09-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Most people think OEM to OEM is direct fit when it's not, Honda used 4 different setups for steering attachment in the DC2 alone.

These could be different because the steering column has a different thread, or the spline is spaced differently, or the position of the locking pin is different.

Either way most people are under the false assumption: "since it's all DC2, it's all the same", and this is when you get problems such as these.

90LAN
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
experience not i think

the steering spine is all the same
with the same size nut

i can take a pic of a itr wheel in a vtir if you want

SHOGUNOVDDRK
09-08-2009, 08:00 PM

do it.

geeang
09-08-2009, 08:21 PM
experience not i think

the steering spine is all the same
with the same size nut

Yes I know that ITR wheels fit VTIR, but I'm saying that Honda do indeed have 4 different steering setups, even in cars of the same model and from the same year.

I've talked to the guys at The Tuners Group who are one of the only official distributors of Works Bell Steering products outside of Japan, and they can provide diagrams / Honda fact sheets on the subtle differences each setup provides.

It's also why Works Bell require a picture of the back of your steering wheel and a picture of your steering column (if you have a Honda/DC2) before they will sell you a Hub/Boss Kit.

90LAN
09-08-2009, 08:27 PM
shit eh you use diagrams
i use the real steering columns at home
anyway question was answered

ECU-MAN
10-08-2009, 09:21 AM
the DC2R wheel splines may line up with DC2 however the SRS systems are different.

you will not be able to make the DC2-R SRS wheel work with the SRS system if the DC2 is type 1 SRS ( SRS ECU built into the wheel )

johnny5
10-08-2009, 12:31 PM
thanks for all the input guys much much appreciated.

ECU-MAN: how do i check that it is a type 1? I'm guessing that the SRS will be on constantly if i successfully manage the swap?

the DC2R wheel splines may line up with DC2 however the SRS systems are different.

you will not be able to make the DC2-R SRS wheel work with the SRS system if the DC2 is type 1 SRS ( SRS ECU built into the wheel )

ECU-MAN
10-08-2009, 04:33 PM
thats right. if you fit it the SRS light stays on.

pull off your SRS airbag and take a photo of what is behind there and post it here.

kriZy
11-08-2009, 02:17 PM
sorry to hijack but does this also apply to
EK9 steering wheel on EK4?

jords
11-08-2009, 02:23 PM
I believe that the ek9 and dc2r wheel appear the same, however the hub and mounting of the wheel may be different.

MrJohn
11-08-2009, 04:02 PM
sorry to hijack but does this also apply to
EK9 steering wheel on EK4?

yes. u can even fit a dc5r steering wheel into a ek4 if u wanted or EVEN A S2K one!

jords
11-08-2009, 04:06 PM
yes. u can even fit a dc5r steering wheel into a ek4 if u wanted or EVEN A S2K one!

will the air bag still work?

ECU-MAN
12-08-2009, 09:01 AM
ek9 srs will work in the ek4

kriZy
12-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Yes I know that ITR wheels fit VTIR, but I'm saying that Honda do indeed have 4 different steering setups, even in cars of the same model and from the same year.

I've talked to the guys at The Tuners Group who are one of the only official distributors of Works Bell Steering products outside of Japan, and they can provide diagrams / Honda fact sheets on the subtle differences each setup provides.

It's also why Works Bell require a picture of the back of your steering wheel and a picture of your steering column (if you have a Honda/DC2) before they will sell you a Hub/Boss Kit.

just to clarify.
ek9 wheel is a straight swap to ek4 then since SRS is compatible.

johnny5
13-08-2009, 11:53 AM
damnit! why is it such a hassle for the dc2??!??

ECU-MAN: I'll try to get pics up as soon as possible.

johnny5
20-08-2009, 08:33 PM
FINALLY! managed to get it fitted in the end!!!

sent it to a mechanic the other day who managed to get it all setup for me but it took a bit of a gamble...

ECU-MAN: u were right! the SRS systems were different.

Long story short, because my DC2 was a 94' model and the ITR steering wheel was a 99' model, the SRS systems were different. If my DC2 were a 96' and above would have been a direct fitment.

So... what we had to do was take a risk. My mechanic did a "transplant" of cutting the wires and switching over the SRS units meaning that I was using the ITR wheel while retaining my 94' SRS unit. This was where I started sweating a lil bit because the 94' SRS has two red wires and 99' SRS had one red and one white, we had to guess that the position of the white wire based (think it was the one on the right) on the 99' SRS' wiring position!!!

It was either DO or DIE and since I'd already come so far, I was willing to take the risk of the airbag blowing up and I'd have to end up using a spare SRS unit he had lying around with my original DC2 steering wheel.

It was a risk worth taking as it all went smoothly and fingers crossed, it doesnt blow up in my face. Still flinch though when I go over a bump on the road...

I'll put up some pics of the SRS unit when I have the chance to give you a clearer understanding of what I mean... thanks again for all your help and input!!!

johnny5
21-08-2009, 12:05 AM
here are the pics...

Notice there are two red wires? this is the SRS unit of the 94' model... we had to cut off the wires at the end and trace back which was the white wire for the ITR 99' steering

http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/5159/170820091113p.jpg http://img228.imageshack.us/img228/7958/170820091115u.jpg

and the end result!!! :D

http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5411/itrsteering.jpg

F.O.B Squad
21-08-2009, 09:21 PM
Nice work.
But how about for this type of steering wheel?
It came from 98 DC2 SIR Integra
http://admin.jprpm.com/rpmgarage/attachments/8387_tns0fqo3uryq.jpg
Would it fit straight to a '94 VTI-R DC2 or would it need some DIY on the wires?

johnny5
22-08-2009, 01:02 AM
haha thanks man... still get a bit paranoid everytime i go over a bump. keep expecting the airbag to go off in my face lol

nice steering wheel man, to be honest with you my guess is as good as yours really... i'm assuming that it should be the same scenario as mine considering the similiarities (both our cars are 94' dc2s). Basically I have been told that 96' and upwards DC2s' are a direct fitment.

Just remember where the white wire is(left or right) for the 98' SIR Integra (how we did it was to put the airbag upright like how a steering wheel sits when its straight and did the same for the other airbag) and when you transplant the SRS wires, remember if it was on the left or right. Chances are that your 94' DC2 steering wheel wires are both red just like mine.

Please dont take my word as the gospel truth but rather just an indication that there is HOPE you may be able to fit that steering wheel after all... lol

hope it all goes well for you too!

F.O.B Squad
28-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Anyways took a couple of pics of the connections of the steering i got;

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Renny_183/Random/DSC09229.jpg

http://i527.photobucket.com/albums/cc360/Renny_183/Random/DSC09228.jpg

So yeah what would i have to do to get this steering i have fit onto my '94 DC2? Is the connection the same as the OEM '94 VTIR steering wheel?

johnny5
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
yea man i'm assuming that it should be the same...

this is how the 99' ITR SRS unit looks like with white and red wires... since this has two reds, I dont see how its gonna be a problem since the OEM 94' VTIR wheel has two reds as well :D

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/893/050920091133.jpg

F.O.B Squad
07-09-2009, 11:21 AM
So going by the pictures you posted of the '94 unit and the pictures i posted the steering i got should be a straight connection? The connections are the same so hopefully no DIY needed here.

jdmEG5
13-12-2013, 10:19 PM
Sorry to hijack such an old tread,

So, did the OP ending up changing his steering column?

Cause I'm having same issue in my dc2..

97' model...

Vvvtec
16-12-2013, 01:49 PM
You sure you have a DC2R wheel and not an EK9 wheel? ITR wheel will fit, ek9 wont.

jdmEG5
20-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Nah it's a dc2r wheel, just the hubs are different

I've compared my dc2r steering wheel with my mates and they're both identically the same, even the splines..

I ended up changing my steering column just to get it fitted

Thanks anyway

mocchi
20-12-2013, 08:32 PM

I've compared my dc2r steering wheel with my mates and they're both identically the same, even the splines..

Thanks anyway

to another integra? or to something else

RenzokukenJ
21-12-2013, 11:42 AM

Thanks anyway

Pics of wheel

jdmEG5
24-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Steering column was off a dc2r with larger spline..

Steering wheel is off a dc2r lol.. 100%,
I don't know how to upload pics from my phone

But I can confirm, DC2/4 has somewhat smaller splines compared to the type r.. The smaller splines are same size as the EG's

Vvvtec
24-12-2013, 01:59 PM
What? My type r wheel fit 100% straight onto the dc2 spline

RenzokukenJ
24-12-2013, 03:08 PM
:s

I dunno if srs

jdmEG5
24-12-2013, 05:20 PM
Legit though, I've been reading through so many shit and they say it all fits.. dc2r into dc2 gsr/vtir dc4..

I tried it my self, didn't fit.. Not sure if year of manufacturer will make a difference but mine is a 97' model preface..

And yeah, solution was to change my column

Edit: my steering wheel is from AUDM DC2R with airbag.. Maybe the jdm non-airbag one has smaller splines..? But yeah it's mind-fkng hard lol

carayan
24-12-2013, 05:29 PM
Legit though, I've been reading through so many shit and they say it all fits.. dc2r into dc2 gsr/vtir dc4..

I tried it my self, didn't fit.. Not sure if year of manufacturer will make a difference but mine is a 97' model preface..

And yeah, solution was to change my column

Edit: my steering wheel is from AUDM DC2R with airbag.. Maybe the jdm non-airbag one has smaller splines..? But yeah it's mind-fkng hard lol

do you have srs? maybe thats a factor in all of this

jdmEG5
25-12-2013, 08:29 PM
do you have srs? maybe thats a factor in all of this

Yeah, I got srs airbag from factory.. But so does the type r?

Just doesn't make sense to me though, why does the type r steering wheel bolts onto SOME dc2 only? Whereas in my case I had to change the column...? Even though it's same chassis "DC2" and has srs airbag..

My question still have not been answered after many hours spent on the internet researching lol.. Even though problem is now fixed

Just to clarify, mines a 1997 integra vtir, has driver and passenger airbag (if that matters to all of you's that didn't have any trouble)

JayTea18
25-12-2013, 09:35 PM
Yeah, I got srs airbag from factory.. But so does the type r?

Just doesn't make sense to me though, why does the type r steering wheel bolts onto SOME dc2 only? Whereas in my case I had to change the column...? Even though it's same chassis "DC2" and has srs airbag..

My question still have not been answered after many hours spent on the internet researching lol.. Even though problem is now fixed

Just to clarify, mines a 1997 integra vtir, has driver and passenger airbag (if that matters to all of you's that didn't have any trouble)

I was in the same boat last year.

I have a integra Vti-r 1997 as well.
Bought a Dc2r memo steering wheel online which was from a 2001 model.

When I got it,
Didn't match my steering column.
As my steering column spline was too small.

So I bought a type R steering column from wreckers,
Which was from a 2001 model.
Came home realised it didn't fit.

Omgggg went mad.

Turns out the moron who sold me my steering wheel,
Had a EK9 hub at the back.

Went on gum tree,
Found a guy wrecking his dc2,
Asked if he would sell me the hub at the back of his steering wheel.
Was $40 bucks piece of metal held in by 4 Allen keys.

Came home and attached the steering to that hub,
Which also lined up perfectly in my original column.

So I bought a new column for no reason.

That's my story with my ITR steering wheel.

Just my 2 cents.

At least now I have an air bag :)