PDA

View Full Version : B18c / h22a conversion on an ej8

POITER
10-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Just wondering what you guys think would be the better choice in terms of performance:an EJ8 with a B18C or a H22A ?

I've noticed H22A arent a very common conversion any reasons why ?

90LAN
10-08-2009, 08:12 PM
h22 more work thats why
cant fit ac / ps
unless custom

EK1.6LCIV
10-08-2009, 08:19 PM
been in a nice h22a coupe, goes hard
worth considering, also look at threads on H2B swaps :)

saikou27
10-08-2009, 08:58 PM
haha yeah h22 ftw! go for that. its a little bit more work but definantly worth it

EGJOE
10-08-2009, 09:04 PM
If you ever want to slam your ride to h22a is a no no. I love h series motors so much torque, shit gearing though.

EK1.6LCIV
11-08-2009, 08:09 AM
x2 def invest in some sheet metal for your headers near the sump as a bash plate if you plan to drop it considerably, worth while investment, prob set up back a few hundred to custom fab something at an exhaust shop :)

mr180sx
11-08-2009, 10:18 AM
I know if i had the choice again, i would go for B18c anyday!:thumbsup:

If you go the H22 route, no doubt you will run into problems, not necessarily big problems but enough to put you off.:thumbsup:

H2B is not really a cheap option unless you have a B series box lying around!

Just wondering what you guys think would be the better choice in terms of performance:an EJ8 with a B18C or a H22A ?

I've noticed H22A arent a very common conversion any reasons why ?

RtN
11-08-2009, 04:06 PM
I know if i had the choice again, i would go for B18c anyday!:thumbsup:

If you go the H22 route, no doubt you will run into problems, not necessarily big problems but enough to put you off.:thumbsup:

H2B is not really a cheap option unless you have a B series box lying around!

umm problems with the install or problems running it?

mr180sx
12-08-2009, 09:36 AM
If you know what you are doing, shouldnt be any problems with install. Getting the H22 to run right is your main concern.

H22 have a common problem with the buterflies not opening. If butterfly not open = no vtec (or barely feel it) other main problem is shaft binding. So the right combination of shafts will have to be sourced (or go hasports):thumbsup:

BTW you have to cut a hole where your shifter sits for the shifter cables. So if you dont want heat going inside cabin then dont do it!;):thumbsup:

umm problems with the install or problems running it?

dougie_504
12-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Both will take a lot of work but the general consensus I've had is that H22A's are more messing around but tend to pull out huge amounts of torque for launching by comparison to the B18C. Would be a little heavier though I think.

Benson
12-08-2009, 02:34 PM
h2b ftw... too many headaches with a straight H swap

Killa From Manila
12-08-2009, 02:34 PM
h2b - standard b series shafts and no shifter hole cutting :thumbsup:

If you know what you are doing, shouldnt be any problems with install. Getting the H22 to run right is your main concern.

H22 have a common problem with the buterflies not opening. If butterfly not open = no vtec (or barely feel it) other main problem is shaft binding. So the right combination of shafts will have to be sourced (or go hasports):thumbsup:

BTW you have to cut a hole where your shifter sits for the shifter cables. So if you dont want heat going inside cabin then dont do it!;):thumbsup:

hey man in ur opinion is it true wat they say about h22 civics being too front heavy n handling isnt as good?

MikeyG
12-08-2009, 03:52 PM
i would only go h2b ... if u dont have that much money around.. go b18cr mate

Cvik_ryda
12-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Not having a go man but if you know what you doing then why cant you get the H22 to run right lol??

Benson
12-08-2009, 05:20 PM
K20!

If you know the right people and shop around you can get a conversion done for 9-10k (self-labour, buy a DVD from the states step by step guide)

connorling
12-08-2009, 05:58 PM
there are less after market part for H than for B.

H is a good start, but thats about it. which mean H swap will be faster once u swap, but then B has more potential

POITER
12-08-2009, 06:24 PM
Whats a H2B ? half b series half h series?

saikou27
12-08-2009, 07:32 PM
there are less after market part for H than for B.

H is a good start, but thats about it. which mean H swap will be faster once u swap, but then B has more potential

what a stupid thing to say. the H has a lot more potential. a b18cR is pretty much worked to the edge from factory and still makes less power. the H is a bigger motor therefore more power and torque with the same mods

to answer the original question from the OP is that a H will make more power and be faster for your setup. the reason its not as common is because its a little more difficult to do

mr180sx
12-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Me and a mates one is running properly. Just seen way too many H conversions out there not running right with shaft binding problems and no vtec.

Handling wise, with the right suspension mods you can make them handle as good as bseries. Only problem is ground clearance to headers/sump.:thumbsup:

H2B FTW, if you have the money, if not bseries is the go!

Not having a go man but if you know what you doing then why cant you get the H22 to run right lol??

connorling
13-08-2009, 12:27 AM
what a stupid thing to say. the H has a lot more potential. a b18cR is pretty much worked to the edge from factory and still makes less power. the H is a bigger motor therefore more power and torque with the same mods

to answer the original question from the OP is that a H will make more power and be faster for your setup. the reason its not as common is because its a little more difficult to do

dude, i am saying the after market support are less for the h, u see more cams and stuff are sold for b18 and b16, not many cams out there for H unless u special order them

Cvik_ryda
13-08-2009, 12:55 PM
dude, i am saying the after market support are less for the h, u see more cams and stuff are sold for b18 and b16, not many cams out there for H unless u special order them
Thats not correct either theres heaps of cam kits and after market part out there for the H series. Not many from Japan is true but heaps from the states.

Biz
03-03-2010, 12:54 PM
i know this is an old thread, but just need to know something... ive been searching through the forums quite a lot recently cuz i just bought a 1994 breeze few weeks back and obviously im not satisfied with the engine.
My mate recommends B18C conversion. I've noticed it is a bit expensive plus there are more costs involved since my car is a carby.

H22a conversions arent as popular.. mainly cuz i hear there is alot more work... but the main thing i've noticed is that the engine stronger but is <b>ALOT</b> cheaper than B series..
whyyy???

EK1.6LCIV
03-03-2010, 03:20 PM
it's all about the demand, hence their price

Biz
03-03-2010, 05:08 PM
ahhh fair enough... also probably cuz Bs are just so much better tuned... but hmm.. srsly considering H22a

GenesisEG
03-03-2010, 06:08 PM
Handling wise, with the right suspension mods you can make them handle as good as bseries. Only problem is ground clearance to headers/sump.

That's not true, well, not entirely.

H22 is heavier than B18, so naturally, the B18 will handle better. Weight is the biggest factor in handling. Sticking a heavier engine in the front of the car will upset the already front-biased weight distribution of the car even more.

I've never understood the fascination with sticking more powerful engines in a car that really was never designed for high straight-line speed. I mean, each to their own, but if you really want to go fast down the straight, ditch the Civic and buy some big powerful FR. My old Commodore ute would munch any Civic on the freeway, but a properly built Civic would destroy the ute in corners. The fastest I ever had my ute was 330kph, and the only reason I didn't go faster was because the front wheels started floating. I've yet to see a Civic reach those speeds, even with a 2.2 or 2.4.

Seriously, B18 is all you'll need for the street. It will even hold its own on the track. A well tuned B18C Civic is lethal, and will still eat the corners. If you plan on making a pure track car, a K20 or K24 is a good choice, but still, you're sacrificing handling for that extra torque. There's just no need to up the capacity to 2L unless you're tracking it regularly, it's such a light car, the 1.8L is plenty.

Biz
03-03-2010, 07:09 PM
thx alot for that! really helped me out there =)

H22 is heavier than B18, so naturally, the B18 will handle better. Weight is the biggest factor in handling. Sticking a heavier engine in the front of the car will upset the already front-biased weight distribution of the car even more.

I've never understood the fascination with sticking more powerful engines in a car that really was never designed for high straight-line speed. I mean, each to their own, but if you really want to go fast down the straight, ditch the Civic and buy some big powerful FR. My old Commodore ute would munch any Civic on the freeway, but a properly built Civic would destroy the ute in corners. The fastest I ever had my ute was 330kph, and the only reason I didn't go faster was because the front wheels started floating. I've yet to see a Civic reach those speeds, even with a 2.2 or 2.4.

Seriously, B18 is all you'll need for the street. It will even hold its own on the track. A well tuned B18C Civic is lethal, and will still eat the corners. If you plan on making a pure track car, a K20 or K24 is a good choice, but still, you're sacrificing handling for that extra torque. There's just no need to up the capacity to 2L unless you're tracking it regularly, it's such a light car, the 1.8L is plenty.

Killa From Manila
03-03-2010, 07:39 PM

what game was that?

GenesisEG
03-03-2010, 08:26 PM
You mean in which game did I do 330kph?

I'd like to boast, but we all know what happens to people that give too many details about things that they shouldn't be doing...

cheapdouchebag
04-03-2010, 06:01 PM
just comes down to budget imo
if your a torque freak and like honda, h22a is for you. in the 90's n early year 2000 h22a was considered as the powerhouse engine. only problem is that unless your putting it in yourself, the labour costs are going to be a bit more higher.
b series engines are popular with civics cause they are pretty much a direct drop in with little change in hacking the engine bay etc. put a h22a and you will have to hack the engine bay a little bit more (correct me if im wrong by all means). also, b-series engine have more aftermarket support meaning probably could get performance parts more easily n possibly more cheaper depending on the quality of the part you plan to purchase.

i rckn could probably get a direct engine swap b18c for ej8 for at max id say 5k, thats if u have the manual transmission already. but still then since your going faster in that dohc vtec engine, ull want to get new brakes n stiffer suspension n all that jazz later on. shop around a bargain doesnt find you, you find it.

unless your going to intensely tune the car and prepare it for race purposes, just stick to a budget your willing to fork out, either way ull be a happy chap with the dohc vtec.

saikou27
04-03-2010, 06:20 PM
no if ur a torque freak and like honda's u would go boost :P