PDA

View Full Version : HELP: CL9 Headlight Problems (blowing bulbs)

NZDM_CL9
10-08-2009, 08:02 PM
A while back I had a bulb blow (OEM bulb and low beam)

I decided to replace with Mtec bulbs.
After a couple weeks, one of them blows, (same side i think)

Replaced them with lower rated Mtec's.
They blew after a while also.

So went back to OEM bulb with no problems.
Then tried some cheap xenon/ hid type white bulbs. 1 blew after a few weeks.

So back to the OEM bulbs.

THEN, I got a euro R fog kit installed with h9 bulbs.
And one of those has just blown after about a month.

I also noticed that one of my low beams seems brighter than the other.

Anyone know wha could be causing this?
Or any tips on what to check/test?

I presumed they (left and right) run off the same loom/relay?

Would like to go back to some whiter aftermarket bulbs or HID kit but too scared of them blowing out.

albii
10-08-2009, 08:21 PM
The one low beam seems brighter issue is because of the way the lights are angled as the right hand light is dipped to not blind oncoming traffic.
Those mtec and hid wanna be blue tint globes run hotter than normal bulbs, and thats why they are more prone to blowing.

traumatized
10-08-2009, 08:45 PM
ensure that you are not touching the bulbs with your hands or anything, if in doubt clean the bulb with rubbing alcohol.

tron07
11-08-2009, 09:39 AM
are the bulbs you use same spec as the OEM ones?

EuroAccord13
11-08-2009, 10:43 AM
You might have accidentally touched the glass of the bulbs while installing them. Alternatively, since you are blowing so many bulbs, check the grounding in the car, it is also one of the causes of blowing bulbs.

tron07
11-08-2009, 03:55 PM
But his OEM one didnt blow after being taken out and reinstall again countless time.... if he touch the glass of one (the way he handles the bulb) the OEM should blow as well.

felixd
11-08-2009, 06:17 PM
get a HID kit problem soved :D

albii
11-08-2009, 06:25 PM
trust me ppl...those wanna be hid blue bulbs are rubbish.

cassius
11-08-2009, 10:54 PM
Im having a similar problem. Have had to replace them 3 times, and 4th just recently. On the 4th time I got fed up with it and the dealer has since put in non OEM ones. The last set we had in there lasted about a year, but non OEM ones dont last that long.

When I replaced the bulbs I was careful not to touch teh glass as the oil from your hands can cause the bulb to blow.

dealer hasnt yet worked out the problem and I dont have high hopes that they will...i can only hope its sorted before the extended warranty runs out.

tony1234
12-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Talk to auto electrician.Get them to check the car out.

tron07
12-08-2009, 08:49 AM
I use philips crystal visions.... so far they last like 2 years or more. Only one side blew after 1.5 year, the other still okay.