PDA

View Full Version : DIY crossover.

KB
10-11-2004, 10:59 PM
Hey Guys

After writing off my last civic I managed to salvage my Pioneer splits(Woofer & Tweeter) But not the crossover.

Was wondering are there any alternatives for crossovers. Like you see on regular(coaxal) speakers with the little electronic thingy(looks like a small capacitor). Ie What Type do I get? Can I get it from Dick S electronics? Do you wire it in series to the +tve wire on the tweeter? ect ect.

Any help appreciated.

-KB

Paul
10-11-2004, 11:42 PM
KB, you can certainly do that however it will not sound as good as what they did with the proper Pioneer Passive crossover. But a capacitor will suffice but some frequeny will still go to the tweeter.

You could try Pioneer support to see if they can supply you with spare parts.

Also a good option is to go to Jaycar and buy a crossover cheaply dont know how good they are are reliablity but are no more than $20 i think.

You can also build them if you have basic soldering skillsi I have some info on this so pm me if you want it.

micka
11-11-2004, 12:19 AM
alternately you could take the opportunity to go fully active with your front stage using continuously ajustable crossovers on an amp, or out board active crossover before the amp. not for the faint of heart (can kill tweeters very easily if you don't know what you're doing) or for the low in cash (need an amp channel for each discrete driver, ie 4 channel amp for a 2 way stereo active setup)

Paul
11-11-2004, 12:23 AM
What model speakers are they KB?

KB
11-11-2004, 12:30 AM
http://www.pioneeraus.com.au/car_entertainment/speakers/tsc1653/index.html

dunno if this helps

Passive Crossover (1 pair supplied)
- 6dB/oct. LPF & -18dB/0ct. HPF @ 4,000Hz
- 0db or -3dB option for tweeter
- Poly switch for tweeter protection

Dominik
11-11-2004, 07:47 AM
Capacitors and Coils can give you -6dB/Octave LPF, but it would be hard making the -18dB/Octave HPF. I used to make my own crossovers for my speakers (before car audiio amps started coming with builtin crossovers), but it used to cost something like $15-20 to build it (plus a fair bit of time). If you can buy them at Jaycar for $20, then i'd go with that. Make sure the crossover points are the same though!

I dont have them now, but i'm sure its on the net - there are calculators to figure out what size capacitor/coil you need to get a certain crossover frequency; incase you want to build your own...

KB
15-11-2004, 02:51 PM
Thanks for replies guys! Ill have a cruise down to Jaycar and see what they have.