PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed: Front Strut Install Problem!

RiceMeister
11-08-2009, 11:01 AM
Hey lads,

I've run into a bit of a problem with a front tower strut installation...

Looking to install a megan racing front strut on my CK Accord V6. Only problem is that they're made for USDM models and due to the right hand drive of my AUDM model the brake fluid resovoir is in way of the left engine bay mount so the left endlink can't mount properly. Does anyone know a way of relocating the brake fluid resovoir away from the mount?

and if so, is anyone able to assist in doing so or can recommend somewhere that could help me out?

here's a pic to show what i mean:
http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/4586/imgp1474bf.jpg

and heres the tower bar: http://www.meganracing.com/uploadImage/regular/94%20ACCORD%20REAR%20MEGAN%20BARS.jpg

Cheers guys!

aaronng
11-08-2009, 11:16 AM
This is a tough one. I would prefer to sell off the megan racing part and get one that was made for a RHD CK.

RiceMeister
11-08-2009, 11:48 AM
That's the tricky thing man, struts for rhd ck are pretty difficult to buy. Most of the dudes who have them installed on audm usually custom build. The only other one made to fit is a neuspeed tie bar which doesn't have end links and is just a straight bar. But shipped from us it's mighty pricey!

RiceMeister
11-08-2009, 12:07 PM
**Also, could easily fix by getting new endlinks made by a metal fabricator which set the bar join a bit higher.

would that be pricey? basically just need a similar endlink bracket with a higher join for the bar to clear the resovoir or so it sets the join out wider so it clears the resvoir and moves the bar towards engine.

JohnL
11-08-2009, 01:35 PM
I assume we're talking about a tower brace here? Your photo doesn't really help, other than to show us that the MC is in more or less the usual place...

Rather than fabricating new brackets(s?) from scratch, can you have the existing ones modified? It would also be a good opportunity to stiffen the brackets up, which are nearly always not as rigid as they should be (rigidity rules with tower braces).

Pity you're not near Taree, I'd do the work cheaper than just about anyone else...

RiceMeister
11-08-2009, 03:03 PM
where i've circled in the photo is where the reservoir is. basically the round top/cap of it is sticking out over the top of one of the screws for the brackets and as a result the join to the bar can't connect properly as the bracket can't lay flat as the resovoir cap sticks over it.

hope that helps? haha its a bit hard to explain on the net, but very easy to see in person.

@JohnL: what's a reasonable price to have them modified or fabricated?

JohnL
12-08-2009, 09:02 AM
From what I can see in the photo, I wouldn't bother with those tower braces. The end brackets look to be made from rather thin steel, and as a result they will flex excessively and forces won't be effectively transferred from one tower to the other.

Tower braces are exposed to quite substantial loadings, even if those loadings don't involve a large range of motion (actually quite a small range of motion). The less rigid the brace is (which importantly includes the end brackets) the less effective it will be. They really do need to be substantially rigid to work as they are intended.

Also, it's pointless for the tube to be flattened in cross section, as it's the smallest dimension of the tube that dictates the stiffness of the tube (in compression, makes no difference in tension).

All in all, from what can be seen in the photo (which isn't all that clear due to size), that brace appears to be designed and made primarily for bling value, i.e. it has very little real value because it's not going to be stiff enough...

altong0840
12-08-2009, 09:33 PM
one of of friends made one by RPM for $150and installlion done in 30 mins

locate SA~ pm me if intrested~