PDA

View Full Version : left indicator doesn't work...

DNYALL
11-08-2009, 05:36 PM
hmmm, hazards still both work as usual, right side indicator works as usual, but when i click the lever for the left I get nothing...?

Any ideas? It is in my 99' EM1.

To be honest it has happened befor, But then the next day it worked like usual again. but now it is not working again...

I'm confused. Please help :(

HairyMerkin
11-08-2009, 06:04 PM
Loose wire?

CRXer
11-08-2009, 06:10 PM
aftermarket alarm?
other than that can only be the switch,pull the plug out the switch & see if contacts make cleanly when turned on with a multi.

DNYALL
11-08-2009, 09:39 PM
it is an aftermarket alarm, i think anyway, was on there when i bought the car, but I havn't had any problems untill now. Anyway, I didn't get a chance to really check it out tonight so i'll have a look tomorrow. But I did notice that now when i turn on the car, the left indicator is on constantly... hmmm

CRXer
11-08-2009, 09:51 PM
so your alarm does the normal indicator flash stuff when arm/disarm/alarming etc?

if so,they prob cut the relay into wire between the indicate switch & the hazard lights somewhere,u need to find the relay/relays & prob replace it or just the one for the left side.
another possibility is the alarm main unit has the indicator flasher relays onboard so u might have to repair/replace the unit.

DNYALL
12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
ok, after a fair bit of messin around with the multi and switchin everything at different times etc with different things on, I am pretty sure it is the actual indicator lever switch box. Gonna go down the workshop and borrow a working one first to test it.

Anyone ever had to buy one befor, how much am I up for :O or has anyone got a wrecked ek that still has the Indicator lever...

mugenrr
12-08-2009, 08:04 PM
might come as the whole combo switch

CRXer
12-08-2009, 08:16 PM
i sold a DC2 combi for $100 recently,so hopefully u can pick up just the light stalk for $50 or less.

so u put the multi across the contacts for indicate left?
does it just remain closed?

civic88
12-08-2009, 08:40 PM
might be the blinker unit

DNYALL
12-08-2009, 08:53 PM
i sold a DC2 combi for $100 recently,so hopefully u can pick up just the light stalk for $50 or less.

so u put the multi across the contacts for indicate left?
does it just remain closed?

Was hard to tell if i was doing it right to be honest, I am a electrician not an auto elec. but i figured out when the indicator stalk is in neutral position. all contacts are open, then when i flicked it down for the right indicator, two of the 3 contacts closed, but then when i flicked it up to left indicator, all contacts remained open. I assume that when i flicked it up for left indicator, a different combination of the 3 contacts would have read as closed. but it read the same as though it was in neutral position. If that makes sense to you :confused: haha it made sense at the time when i was testing.

Another thing is the indicator works fine as long as the headlight isn't switched on. when you turn on the headlight the headlight comes on really dim and the then when you turn on the indicator at the same time as the headlight, the indicator turns on at half power constantly (no flash)

There are two plugs at the back of the indicator switch box, a big long one and a small one with three prongs. as long as the big long one isn't plugged in the indicator works fine, as soon as I plug in the bog long plug and turn the headlight on it go's all weird.

Anyway, already written too much, will try out a working box tomorrow, hopefully. see how it go's :confused:

DNYALL
12-08-2009, 08:55 PM
might be the blinker unit

The blinker unit is still working. it works when the headlights arn't turned on.

But just out of curiosity, where abouts is the blinker unit located in an EM1

DNYALL
12-08-2009, 08:56 PM
might come as the whole combo switch

Yeah i will need the whole switch box and lever, i took it apart but no doubt they would sell it as a complete unit.

CRXer
12-08-2009, 09:09 PM
yeh its the small plug is the indicators.
its just a common contact(power in) switching to left or right contact.
have a look for the green/blue wire contact thats the left indicators
green/yellow is the right.
now match up the pins to the switch,the one thats left is the common.

are u running higher power headlight bulbs than stock?
sounds like your prob is outside the switch & more up at the front left indicator...

CRXer
12-08-2009, 09:13 PM
flasher unit is usually black box plugged into front of underdash fuse box,but if it flashes for right or hazard than its fine.

civic88
12-08-2009, 09:35 PM
flasher unit is usually black box plugged into front of underdash fuse box,but if it flashes for right or hazard than its fine.

not neccessarily perhaps the left blinker function maybe stuffed with the blinker unit, i know it sounds strange but my sisters car had a simialr problem and it turned out the blink unit was stuffed

CRXer
12-08-2009, 09:45 PM
flasher relay is common to left/right & hazard,if one works then the others will work if there's no further problems on the individual circuits.

DNYALL
13-08-2009, 05:26 PM
ok, just got a spare indicator lever switch box, the one that is on the steering column. and the problem is still there....hmmm

Ok so to put it simple.

All indicators work as normal, when the light lever is turned to parkers, it still works. But when you turn it to headlight, the left indicator stops flashing and turns on constant, but it seems like it is at half power. and the left headlight is on but also at half power. also the dash light for the indicator turns off completely. The rear left indicator is the same as the front.

But the right side is normal.

Also when just the headlights are turned on the left side is massively dimm... I tryed changing the globe and it didn't fix it.

I am thinking there is a short somewhere with the headlight wire and a indicator wire onto the frame... I will investigate more tomorrow. no time tonight.

At least i have ruled out the switch box on the steering column. Price from honda for the sw unit = $230 :O

DNYALL
15-08-2009, 02:10 AM
Thanks heaps for trying to help out guys :thumbsup:

After all my try hard auto elec investigating... haha turns out it was something simple. the earth cable for the left headlight assembly was completely off for some reason, must have taken it off when i had the air con taken out or something, who knows. all good now though :thumbsup: I had it tucked inside the fender so didn't find it till now :o

Oh well, while i was investigating throughout the bay i ended up spending a few hours doing some more wire tucking anyway haha ended up being pretty productive in the end.

So good that the problem is fixed, now all I gotta do is roll my rear gaurds a little more and i'll be ready to go, finally :thumbsup: