PDA

View Full Version : Shock Dust Boots Torn? Advice

BC8
11-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Hey guys

I've got lowered springs at the moment on stock shocks

Just did a engine/filter/rotation of wheels&balance on my vehicle

Service found that my aftermarket springs has had its shock dust boots torn out on the report.

Is this a major problem, are the shock dust boots bump stops that prevent the spring hitting the shock? Any comments/opinions etc and what Im expected to pay. I was planning to to get skunk2 shocks to my match my springs a while ago but I guess I should be doing it soon?

Thanks

bennjamin
11-08-2009, 10:02 PM
the dust boots , are exactly as the name describes. They keep dust ( and crap) out away from the smooth surface of the piston. and thus out of the internals of the shock.

IF you dont use your car too often , OR use the car on generally clean open roads there is no reason to put them in. IF you drive thru dust mud water etc often its bext to get them installed. You can used OEM ones , or use aftermarket universal rubber boots. Grab them from Super cheap or repco etc

BC8
13-08-2009, 12:51 PM
the dust boots , are exactly as the name describes. They keep dust ( and crap) out away from the smooth surface of the piston. and thus out of the internals of the shock.

IF you dont use your car too often , OR use the car on generally clean open roads there is no reason to put them in. IF you drive thru dust mud water etc often its bext to get them installed. You can used OEM ones , or use aftermarket universal rubber boots. Grab them from Super cheap or repco etc

Thanks for that

I generally drive through all weather conditions. It will probably be best if I got them installed. How do the shock dust boots get torn so easily?

How much do the universal rubber boots approx cost?

Also, I was planning on purchasing skunk2 shocks as I have the OEM shocks on lowered springs. Do shock dust boots usually come with aftermarket shocks or are they seperate items?

55EXX
13-08-2009, 04:08 PM
separate. they are made of rubber and with time they crack.

OMG.JAI xD
13-08-2009, 10:38 PM
As benjammin said.

When you lower your car, there'll be less gaps between the springs, its more unlikely things are going to interfere the strut.

If youre asking all these questions regarding to your dc2 (from your info on the left), skunk 2 shocks DO NOT come with dust boots. In the manual, clearly states, install OEM dust boots along with shocks.
The shocks only come with polyurethane inserts (or polythane which ever one it is, the solid rubber thing they use on mounts lol) Top bolt, and bumpstops.
No dust boot.