PDA

View Full Version : CU2 Auto, 1000km on 1 tank

buddah51au
12-08-2009, 06:56 PM
My suspicions have proven correct, it is possible to get in excess of 1000km from 1 tank of fuel. In making that comment i didn't quite achieve the magic figure, but that was totally due to the location of available service stations.

Low fuel warning light came on at 933km & i refilled after 972km. The trip computer was reading 78km till empty, but the next service station was 102 km away which I felt was too much of a risk as i don't know the accuracy of distance to empty.

For those interested the figures are 972km, 62.89 lts = 6.47L/100km. Needless to say I am more than impressed.

bennjamin
12-08-2009, 07:01 PM
My suspicions have proven correct, it is possible to get in excess of 1000km from 1 tank of fuel. In making that comment i didn't quite achieve the magic figure, but that was totally due to the location of available service stations.

Low fuel warning light came on at 933km & i refilled after 972km. The trip computer was reading 78km till empty, but the next service station was 102 km away which I felt was too much of a risk as i don't know the accuracy of distance to empty.

For those interested the figures are 972km, 62.89 lts = 4.47L/100km. Needless to say I am more than impressed.

questions....

1.did you fill up DEAD empty (IE car would not start due to lack of fuel/fuel pressure) - there is a reserve in teh fuel tank ,. probably around 8-10 litres.
2. car is completely dead standard ? no aftermarket rims etc ?

Interesting - because the car is quite a heavy lug of a thing and you are getting perhaps better fuel economy than a PRIUS or INSIGHT.

buddah51au
12-08-2009, 07:19 PM
1: the car was not empty & I wish there had of been a servo i could have filled up at between towns so that i could have passed the magic figure.

2: The car is completely stock except for a few minor cosmetic options.

I am convinced that given the right conditions :- eg the inland trip from here to Sydney i could beat that figure by some margin. I will also add that all of the 972km was done at 3 to 4 kph above the posted speed limit with cruise control on. Air Con was also used for a short period.

ok2
12-08-2009, 07:46 PM
Buddah51au - would I be correct in guessing that the majority of the distance was country driving ? Can you estimate the percentage of

1) Flat country
2) Hills
3) City / suburban

Whatever the breakdown it is still an impressive result and shows what a standard non-hybrid car can achieve :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh and were you using RON95 or RON98 and what tyre pressures ?

nxn75u
12-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Amazing....

Some questions though:

1) How much rpm are you driving on average? below 3000?

2) Also the condition of traffic?

Im impressed that CU2 auto could go that far with 1 tank!

buddah51au
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
I will do my best on this as it is a valid point.

Country town driving - 30km
reasonably flat open highway 702km
Hilly driving, i would call it similar to the Putty road nth west of Sydney, but without slow corners, in other words quite undulating with a few serious climbs & descents - 240km

That would be as close as i could put it without speedo checking each section.

I will add that my average fuel consumption after 15300km is 7.2L/100km. I will share that spreadsheet with anyone. Just pm me your email add and I will post it to you.

bennjamin
12-08-2009, 07:56 PM
its amazing what constant throttle can make to fuel economy.
for example , i have a civic with a type R engine , weight is 980kg + driver. With 98RON fuel i have got 700ks from a 32l-36l tank. (4.5-5l/100ks)

But the CU2 weighs probably 600kg more lol.

bennjamin
12-08-2009, 07:57 PM
what is the quote figures for this car ?

Type R Positive
12-08-2009, 08:00 PM
[QUOTE=buddah51au;2393183]My suspicions have proven correct, it is possible to get in excess of 1000km from 1 tank of fuel. In making that comment i didn't quite achieve the magic figure, but that was totally due to the location of available service stations.

Low fuel warning light came on at 933km & i refilled after 972km. QUOTE]
I have got about 100ks on the red light before. I did drop back to 80km/h at the end, but still had ~2L left in the tank lol!

buddah51au
12-08-2009, 08:08 PM
The quoted figure on the Euro is 8.9 i think. It is also supposed to have a 65ltr tank, if this is so i suspect there is 5 or 6 lts in the filler neck which gives a total capacity of slightly over 70 ltrs.

bennjamin
12-08-2009, 08:11 PM
The quoted figure on the Euro is 8.9 i think. It is also supposed to have a 65ltr tank, if this is so i suspect there is 5 or 6 lts in the filler neck which gives a total capacity of slightly over 70 ltrs.

that pulls the highway average up to around dead 7 l / 100kms.

buddah51au
12-08-2009, 08:19 PM
On 6 separate occasions i have averaged under 7L/100km, obviously today's figures of 6.47 are the best. I believe it would be possible to get the average closer to 6, or possibly a fraction lower, with flat highway running.

As a side Issue i have just gone & checked trip B on the MFD. At present it is reading 4526km - 6.6L/100km. So allowing for error with the MFD it would be around 7 as a true average over the last 4500km.

unity
12-08-2009, 08:41 PM
Great figures there Buddah51au. As some one asked earlier what tyre pressure do you use? And what speed do you set our cruise control? I gather from previous conversations with you that you used Vortex 95 correct?

Just out of interest what sort of figures do you get when you make a trip driving in the suburbs of Sydney?

buddah51au
12-08-2009, 09:03 PM
I set cruise control about 3 kph above the posted speed limit.
I run 35PSI F&R in Tyres,
Yes, i use Vortex 95 99% 0f the time. I once used Mobil 98 to see if it helped with the pinging issue, and I filled with Mobil again today as i was away from my local area. every other fill has been Vortex.
I haven't been within 1500km of Sydney, so no idea

furythree
13-08-2009, 12:51 AM
this is amazing. i was complaining in my head this week that ive hit above the 10l/100km average for the first time in 2 months this week. prior to that i was doing 8.2l/100km per tank. i reset the thing everytime i refuel to keep track. mind u those times were only cause i was doing 80km/h most of the time on straight road at night. But there were times i was doing city driving (or on the way to the city) and i still managed to keep it below 9L. amazing. I use vortex 98 and it doesnt seem to make much of a difference

anyway, as someone asked earlier, what RPM do u keep it at? I understand that lower RPM is less fuel consumption right? what about constantly keeping it at a certain Rev or reving it in bursts. which is better?

and is 35PSI in tires pretty high? someone on the forum told me 33psi and ive been using that. You have stock tires right?

lingamair
13-08-2009, 01:42 AM
Wow! 1000 clicks on a tank. Pretty ideal conditions I guess.

Makes me want to ship my car back to AU and have a long LONG drive. :)

buddah51au
13-08-2009, 06:22 AM
this is amazing. i was complaining in my head this week that ive hit above the 10l/100km average for the first time in 2 months this week. prior to that i was doing 8.2l/100km per tank. i reset the thing everytime i refuel to keep track. mind u those times were only cause i was doing 80km/h most of the time on straight road at night. But there were times i was doing city driving (or on the way to the city) and i still managed to keep it below 9L. amazing. I use vortex 98 and it doesnt seem to make much of a difference

anyway, as someone asked earlier, what RPM do u keep it at? I understand that lower RPM is less fuel consumption right? what about constantly keeping it at a certain Rev or reving it in bursts. which is better?

and is 35PSI in tires pretty high? someone on the forum told me 33psi and ive been using that. You have stock tires right?

Firstly, I doubt you will find any difference between using 95 or 98 fuel. The Euro is designed to run on 95 RON, so why spend extra for nothing. Fuel is expensive enough as it is.

Most of my driving is done with light throttle openings, letting gear changes happen around 2700 to 3000 rpm. Obviously when in hilly conditions i just let the cruise control do it's thing, so on long climbs it can go back 2 or 3 gears where it will maintain 3000 to 4000, depending how steep the hill is. I also have a habit of once or twice per tank I take it to the limit in 1st & 2nd in sport shift(obviously once the engine and g/box are up to operating temp), changing around 7500. As this puts you well above the speed limit I shut it down immediately I change into 3rd.

Yes I have stock tyres, I add 2 psi as 80% of my driving is rural B roads

denot
13-08-2009, 10:31 AM
^^^ as always John... I'm still impressed :thumbsup: The last two days was a horror for me sitting on 13.9L/100kms 90% city driving with bumper to bumper slow moving traffic... :(

buddah51au
13-08-2009, 11:04 AM
Wow! 1000 clicks on a tank. Pretty ideal conditions I guess.

Makes me want to ship my car back to AU and have a long LONG drive. :)

I wouldn't quite call it ideal conditions as there was 240km of quite hilly driving, a few trips into town & about 30km of slow driving in a funeral convoy. I know I can achieve a better result, but that will only happen if & when i make the trip to Sydney again. I only wish there had of been a service station where i needed 1 to actually pass the 1000km mark. Overall I am more than impressed with everything about this car & to think it averages just 0.4L/100 more than a FD1 civic Auto is amazing.

HunterZero
13-08-2009, 11:08 AM
For those interested the figures are 972km, 62.89 lts = 4.47L/100km. Needless to say I am more than impressed.

Err, you mean 6.47 L/100km.

Still very good though. I've managed just over 900 out of my CL9 manual, and that wasn't all highway. I reckon with 100% highway I could get 1000km from one tank.

- HZ

buddah51au
13-08-2009, 11:10 AM
^^^ as always John... I'm still impressed :thumbsup: The last two days was a horror for me sitting on 13.9L/100kms 90% city driving with bumper to bumper slow moving traffic... :(

you will have to move up here to gods country mate, beautiful 1 day, perfect the next. peace & quiet, very little traffic to speak of, big $$$ if you find the right job. The only drawback is Kodak's & unmarked Q cars everywhere. example a blck Liberty STI, black Maloo ute, latest is Silver V6 Accord.......what next.......lol

primetimex
13-08-2009, 01:04 PM
My CU2 which was delivered around five months ago in March 09 is stuck at around 10.4L/100Km according to the reading. Occasionally it dips to 10.3L/100Km but that's rare.

buddah51au - what's your opinion then on the BP98 Ultimate fuel - supposedly they give you better kilometres and keeps your engine clean?

aaronng
13-08-2009, 01:56 PM

No it isn't. If you have the 18" rims with the lux, then 33psi is too low. Check your tyre pressure placard on the driver's door and use that +2psi depending on your threshold on bumpiness.

aaronng
13-08-2009, 01:57 PM
its amazing what constant throttle can make to fuel economy.
for example , i have a civic with a type R engine , weight is 980kg + driver. With 98RON fuel i have got 700ks from a 32l-36l tank. (4.5-5l/100ks)

But the CU2 weighs probably 600kg more lol.

CU2 has a long overdrive gear, great for cruising and the engine can run leaner when on light throttle.

buddah51au
13-08-2009, 02:51 PM
My CU2 which was delivered around five months ago in March 09 is stuck at around 10.4L/100Km according to the reading. Occasionally it dips to 10.3L/100Km but that's rare.

buddah51au - what's your opinion then on the BP98 Ultimate fuel - supposedly they give you better kilometres and keeps your engine clean?

Personal opinion only is that I wouldn't spend the extra. It is designed to run on 95RON, so use it, just stick with known companies & you shouldn't go wrong. As for better economy, I have tried in the past & found no difference.

I have seen no evidence that BP98 helps to keep the fuel system cleaner & if there is an improvement in economy I believe it would be so minuscule you wouldn't notice it.

I think I have proven in the 3 years I have been on this forum that if you stick with the recommended RON fuel, drive conservatively, & the conditions are right you can achieve better economy without driving like a tortoise.

yfin
13-08-2009, 05:19 PM
These are good figures but why are people so surprised? My dad used to drive a 2001 V6 2.8 litre VW Passat that would get 6.2 on the highway every day. 5 speed auto.

Even my heavy last car the Ford FG Turbo with 270kw was 7.5 on the highway. 6 speed auto.

HunterZero
13-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Personal opinion only is that I wouldn't spend the extra. It is designed to run on 95RON, so use it, just stick with known companies & you shouldn't go wrong. As for better economy, I have tried in the past & found no difference.

98 RON can give you slightly better economy, but not enough to offset the extra cost per tank for 98 over 95 if you go by $ per km.

I use BP Ultimate 98 because it burns really clean, so practically no soot on the exhaust pipes.

- HZ

unity
13-08-2009, 05:49 PM
These are good figures but why are people so surprised? My dad used to drive a 2001 V6 2.8 litre VW Passat that would get 6.2 on the highway every day. 5 speed auto.

Even my heavy last car the Ford FG Turbo with 270kw was 7.5 on the highway. 6 speed auto.

I think most of us live in the suburbs and we are lucky if we ever see our fuel consumption in single digits.

buddah51au
13-08-2009, 07:23 PM
I tried to copy my spreadsheet here, see if it works. I think you should disregard the first tank of fuel as it is obvious the dealer didn't completely fill the tank. But this is how I keep my records For total accuracy. as the car had 25km on it when i took delivery you need to deduct 25km from total milage for all readings. The blank spaces next to a milage figure are my oil change & filter recordings, or in the case of the first 3 blanks, accessories purchased.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo325/buddah51au/fuelconsumptionspreadsheet.jpg

tron07
14-08-2009, 09:44 AM
The lowest I got with the trip comp is 6.7L/100km, cruisng at mostly 80~90kmh@6th gear to Blue Mountain. I tried to get 6.6L/100km doing 80kmh but didnt manage. Manage to get around 800km on a full tank with a few days of town driving mixed in. Mine is stock CL9

Type R Positive
17-08-2009, 12:38 PM

I was getting about 9l/100kms on a real good day with my CL9.
I now get 7's with ease, same driving style, with the heavier CU2 that makes more power.... ;)

p.s. What happened to the shit box ford???

alex31
17-08-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi buddy. As the country highway driving last time I did, my CL9 can do 6.8L / 100km as well. I believe that the cruise control may help to reduce fuel consumption.

moo moo nel
18-08-2009, 01:33 AM
nice

My brother's CU2 manual gets around 670-700km / tank
Sydney traffic

buddah51au
18-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi buddy. As the country highway driving last time I did, my CL9 can do 6.8L / 100km as well. I believe that the cruise control may help to reduce fuel consumption.

There are 2 sides to using cruise control. Yes, it certainly helps on flat roads, but on the other hand it uses more fuel on hilly roads. If your looking for economy the ideal thing to do would be to use it on the flat roads, but turn it off at other times.

ROBERT
18-08-2009, 10:28 AM
Congratulations Buddah51au, very impressive figures for the CU2. I have a CL9 auto and just passed the 60,000 km mark. My average figure is 7.39 l/100km from new, with my best of 6.295 l/100km. I fill with 95 RON of all brands including many times with ethenol blends. I set the cruise on the speed limit. The greatest majority of driving is in the country and at 100 kph. I do visit Sydney and up to the Blue Mountains (family) every 6 to 8 weeks or so. So I do get a bit of 'trafic' from the end of the F3 to Katoomba. I keep my original Dunlop tyres at 33 psi, the car is bog standard.

alex31
20-08-2009, 12:29 AM
There are 2 sides to using cruise control. Yes, it certainly helps on flat roads, but on the other hand it uses more fuel on hilly roads. If your looking for economy the ideal thing to do would be to use it on the flat roads, but turn it off at other times.

Absolutely I agree with you. Thus I memtioned before using cruise control on country highway, that is flat road. In fact, I dont want to active cruise control on hill ways, bit dangerous, especially on sharp turns.

buddah51au
20-08-2009, 06:09 AM
Absolutely I agree with you. Thus I memtioned before using cruise control on country highway, that is flat road. In fact, I dont want to active cruise control on hill ways, bit dangerous, especially on sharp turns.

When I am on a highway I leave cruise control on at all times, even in hilly country & I don't find it dangerous at all. You just have to understand how it works & that the transmission will kick back the required number of gears to maintain a given speed. The only exception to this would be for advisory speed signs that indicate a certain corner couldn't be negotiated at the posted speed limit. eg - a posted 60kph corner can be taken at 100kph, but a slower indicated corner you have to adjust your speed accordingly & this would be the only time I turn cruise control off.

ozscott
20-08-2009, 07:35 AM
My CU2 standard auto is new so the engine is yet to run in fully (although I realise that honda run them in in a sense at the factory). However yesterday we covered 200k of flat Bruce Highway and at 100-110kph it was chewing an average on the trip computer of 5.8l/100k....nice.

Cheers

denot
20-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Hi guys, Can any1 clarify something that confuses me all this time? When I drive and then I see red light, I let my CU2 "glide" with setting the gear to N and hit brake slowly. But when I'm almost full stop, the "fuel consumption" meter (the one that has bar telling you how much roughly you've spent at that time) says 15L/100kms+++ I thought having it on N should save the fuel consumption??? enlightened me please :)

buddah51au
20-08-2009, 09:49 AM
i do the opposite Denot & use the paddle shift to change down & use engine braking to decrease speed. Having it in neutral & coasting does not necessarily save fuel. It also saves on brake wear.

aaronng
20-08-2009, 09:59 AM
Hi guys, Can any1 clarify something that confuses me all this time? When I drive and then I see red light, I let my CU2 "glide" with setting the gear to N and hit brake slowly. But when I'm almost full stop, the "fuel consumption" meter (the one that has bar telling you how much roughly you've spent at that time) says 15L/100kms+++ I thought having it on N should save the fuel consumption??? enlightened me please :)

Leave it in P when slowing down. Only put it in N once you are fully stopped. Putting it in N does not save you more fuel than in P when your car is moving.

Also, when you are stopped, your consumption is measured by L per distance covered. Since you are stopped, you don't cover any distance, so the consumption is high. That's why hybrids can get good economy in traffic jams but don't make a difference on the highway.

nickxau
20-08-2009, 10:47 AM
Leave it in P when slowing down. Only put it in N once you are fully stopped. Putting it in N does not save you more fuel than in P when your car is moving.

Also, when you are stopped, your consumption is measured by L per distance covered. Since you are stopped, you don't cover any distance, so the consumption is high. That's why hybrids can get good economy in traffic jams but don't make a difference on the highway.

I think Denot drives a manual hence the reference to shifting to N and letting the car glide so I don't think your reference to P doesn't apply to him. I was also just wondering, how do you shift into P when slowing down? I thought you can only shift to P when you've come to a complete stop? :confused:

denot
20-08-2009, 10:48 AM
In P????? How can i moved while in P? :O
hehhe anyway, thanx for the clarification guys
ps: i drove matic

Type R Positive
20-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah, what's the go aarongg? LOL!
P manually locks the tranny, so I don't think you would be going anywhere soon....
Would be funny to see someone try it though!

tony1234
20-08-2009, 05:30 PM
Aaron got P and N the wrong way round.lol

mikhaelnen
20-08-2009, 05:40 PM

I think aaronng refer to "D" rather than "P".

buddah51au
20-08-2009, 05:53 PM
Yeah, what's the go aarongg? LOL!
P manually locks the tranny, so I don't think you would be going anywhere soon....
Would be funny to see someone try it though!

Not really funny when it happens mate, i can assure you. It happened to my FD1 Civic Auto (while parked). A dumb female with her Dunnydore parked in front of me decided to light up her rear tyres in reverse. The poor FD1 was pushed back several feet & became the meat in a Dunnydore sandwich. Ruined a great car, but I have a better 1 now

Joystick
20-08-2009, 09:57 PM

Hi Denot,

When coming to a complete stop the instant fuel consumption meter will go to 15L then drop to 1L shortly afterwards.

That's how it functions on mine.

aaronng
20-08-2009, 10:25 PM
In P????? How can i moved while in P? :O
hehhe anyway, thanx for the clarification guys
ps: i drove matic

Oops, I meant D. hahahaha

furythree
21-08-2009, 01:47 AM
Firstly, I doubt you will find any difference between using 95 or 98 fuel. The Euro is designed to run on 95 RON, so why spend extra for nothing. Fuel is expensive enough as it is.

Most of my driving is done with light throttle openings, letting gear changes happen around 2700 to 3000 rpm. Obviously when in hilly conditions i just let the cruise control do it's thing, so on long climbs it can go back 2 or 3 gears where it will maintain 3000 to 4000, depending how steep the hill is. I also have a habit of once or twice per tank I take it to the limit in 1st & 2nd in sport shift(obviously once the engine and g/box are up to operating temp), changing around 7500. As this puts you well above the speed limit I shut it down immediately I change into 3rd.

Yes I have stock tyres, I add 2 psi as 80% of my driving is rural B roads

is there any reason i shoud have higher than 34psi on my tires on city roads?

Oh man im not gunna use 98vortex anymore.... it really makes no difference??? why do they make it then. I saw somewhere people even add octane booster for their cars.

Type R Positive
21-08-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi Denot,

When coming to a complete stop the instant fuel consumption meter will go to 15L then drop to 1L shortly afterwards.

That's how it functions on mine.

Mine too I've noticed.

sash_euro
25-08-2009, 12:14 AM
I get 9-10L/100km in city
9 when granny driving mode
10 when in P plated mode.

7L/100km in Highway

Ive gotten 6.5Lish/100km driving from adelaide to loxton. 100-110km in 6th 95% of the way

So id say it is possible to get the 1000km per tank easy.

My old man has a aurion and he gets like 7.9L on highway and thats a 3.5L engine and the car weighs 300Kg more and has a shit drag coefficient

Most new car companies are doing well when it comes to fuel efficiency these days.

furythree
27-08-2009, 02:46 AM
When the indicator says 0KMs left. Does that factor in the reserve tank. Or does it mean 0kms left including the facft that uve used up ur reserves.

Cause the other day i literally hit 0km and freaked out. Luckily i saw a servo a minute later lol. but it was a goddamn sunday. $85 for a full tank =_=

buddah51au
27-08-2009, 07:50 AM
personally I have never let it get that low, I wouldn't be brave enough

Type R Positive
31-08-2009, 10:16 AM
I only used 1/2 a tank on the gauge coming home from Perth yesterday (550kms), I might fill up and see the actual usage. It's definately down from usual, the new tyres must do what they say they do!

denot
31-08-2009, 10:28 AM
My best fuel consumption ever! on weekdays I hit 10.3L/100kms and on fri-sat we went to Port Stephens and the consumption is now 7.8L/100kms. Fill my car today just out of curiosity, it gives 8.4L/100kms in real life :thumbsup: