PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Related Problem

BURST
13-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Today I was driving semi-hard, and then my clutch pedal started becoming loose. There wasnt much resistance when I push it in. After a few more minutes of driving it got worse, and at times I wouldnt be able to change gears, like i'd push the clutch in bring the gear stick to neutral, then be unable to put it back into another gear.

Sometimes the clutch will work, but like 90% of the pedal will be loose, and only the little bit at the bottom will have any effect. And sometimes the clutch gets stuck at the bottom and wont pop back out.

Anyone know what the problem could be?

Thanks

T-onedc2
13-08-2009, 07:31 PM
Check your clutch fluid level. Probably a leak at either clutch master or slave cylinder.

rayb3na_
13-08-2009, 07:34 PM
you mean the actual pedal is loose? or you mean theres no feeling in the clutch? like it just sinks?

OMG.JAI xD
13-08-2009, 07:36 PM
Leaking master or slave. Or both.

I doubt itll be mechanical.
Easy way to check. Bleed the clutch system.
You should momentarily get pedal back.

delsol9000rpms
13-08-2009, 10:10 PM
definately a leak some where.

BURST
13-08-2009, 10:37 PM
There's no feeling in the clutch, so like theres no resistance when i push the pedal in. Normally its a bit harder to push in.

And I had a quick look then, not sure where clutch master or slave cylinder is, but I couldnt find any leaks. Tried to drive it back into the garage, but can't get it into gear. It just grinds.

And there seems to be a high ticking/clicking noise coming from my engine now.

OMG.JAI xD
13-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Look under your dash. Look at your clutch pedal and look up.

Youll see the top, or near the top connects to a shaft. That is part of your master cylinder.
If there is any fluids visible there, then you have your self a leak.
On the outside, open your bonnet, look at your radiator cap, and in that same direction but lower youll see a 'cast iron-looking' object with a steel/metal line. That is your slave cylinder.

If everything is ok, by that sound you mentioned. If it sounds anything like a bird contantly chirping and gets louder as you rev, you might have had release bearing collapsed, or it fell out of place. Which is pretty hard to do when the box is still attached on to the engine, you mustve been giving it a big hit for something like that to happen.

But from your original post, it definately sounds like a leak.

BURST
13-08-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys, I'll have a look on the weekend when theres more light.

BURST
14-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Had time to have a look today, theres definitely no leak at the clutch master. Still couldnt find the clutch slave cylinder, but I had a look in that general area, and didnt see any leaks.

However the reservoir that leads to the clutch master (says only use dot3 or dot4 brake fluid) was empty. Would this be my problem ?

T-onedc2
15-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Definitely a problem right there, now just gotta find that leak. Slave cylinder is sort of on the front facing side of the gearbox, pretty small thing. Also check the master hasn't leaked inside the car down behind the pedals as this sometimes happens.

SHIBITSUKU
17-08-2009, 02:11 AM
Had time to have a look today, theres definitely no leak at the clutch master. Still couldnt find the clutch slave cylinder, but I had a look in that general area, and didnt see any leaks.

However the reservoir that leads to the clutch master (says only use dot3 or dot4 brake fluid) was empty. Would this be my problem ?

Had the exact same issue.

Most likely the master cylinder.

You would need to top up the reservoir and at the same time get someone to loosen the slave cylinder nipple (left of the headers between the engine block) and someone inside the car pumping the clutch pedal until uve completely bleed all the air out.

Itll be a temporary fix for the time being until you have located the leak and replace it.

JohnL
17-08-2009, 08:23 AM
You have a slight leak in the clutch hydraulics. I'm willing to bet it's been a long time since the fluid level in the reseviour was last checked, so it could have taken a long time for the fluid level to have dropped so low that you got air in the hydraulic line (which is why it's not working).

I'd suggest getting the clutch hydraulics topped up and bled, and then to monitor the clutch fluid level over time. If the leak is very slow then you may not yet need to replace any parts (just monitor and keep fluid topped up), but if it's faster then you might need to replace parts.