PDA

View Full Version : ECU mod Vs Intake Mod

euro1603
13-08-2009, 10:43 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on my first mod.. I'm tossing up between an ECU upgrade Greddy emanage ultimate or an intake mod .. i know the ECU mod will cost more, but in terms or performance wise which will have a better effect ?

craze
13-08-2009, 11:53 PM
i think your better off with purchasing a performance header as an intake won't give much performance wise. But tossing up between those two i would say intake? because you don't have other mods on the car to tune with emanage correct me if i'm wrong please

tony1234
14-08-2009, 07:29 AM
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on my first mod.. I'm tossing up between an ECU upgrade Greddy emanage ultimate or an intake mod .. i know the ECU mod will cost more, but in terms or performance wise which will have a better effect ?
Get a header 1st.(Comptech is good)then intake(Icebox is also good)then Emanage,Haltech etc.

integral90
14-08-2009, 02:11 PM
The stock ECU is pretty well tuned for the stock parts, that's why you upgrade ECU when you've done breathing mods, because then the stock ECU can't capitalise on the higher flow and you need specific tuning.

Tuning the stock engine with a piggy-back is not going to heed very impressive results, but if you did what Tony said ie. all the bolt ons you want to do then ECU you'll get much more noticeable results.

If you're just starting out I'd recommend intake first, as it's cheap and one of the most restrictive parts of the stock car. With the Euro's restrictiveness it generally goes; intake > header/cat > cat back > throttle body > intake manifold > cams

euro1603
14-08-2009, 09:24 PM
THANKS for the advice guys..

I have spent 100 bucks on a k&n replacement filter, so i don't think i would want to get rid of all that and change the intake straight away.. so that leaves me with the comptech header.. how much am i looking at and does it need any tunning ? Also without a proper intake will it be a waste of money and time for the a header install.

thanks.. sorwee for all the dumb newbie questions..

cheers

euromandeluxe
14-08-2009, 09:45 PM
THANKS for the advice guys..

I have spent 100 bucks on a k&n replacement filter, so i don't think i would want to get rid of all that and change the intake straight away.. so that leaves me with the comptech header.. how much am i looking at and does it need any tunning ? Also without a proper intake will it be a waste of money and time for the a header install.

thanks.. sorwee for all the dumb newbie questions..

cheers

i'm fairly sure the comptech icebox intake kit will work with the k&n replacement filler. someone with the icebox would know.

aaronng
14-08-2009, 09:49 PM
$100 is nothing. You should be looking at about $900-1000 for a Comptech header landed here. You will get better mid range and some top end.

aaronng
14-08-2009, 09:49 PM
i'm fairly sure the comptech icebox intake kit will work with the k&n replacement filler. someone with the icebox would know.

Yes it will work as long as you add some weatherstrip foam or rubber so that the K&N seals against the icebox.

tony1234
15-08-2009, 10:17 AM
It will.I have it.But you'll need to use weather strip on the top and bottom of the intake.