PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy wheel install...

euro1603
15-08-2009, 01:58 PM
I recent had some wheels installed, thought i would save a buck and time and got them done at the distributed. I was under the impression i was getting the sale of the frkn century.. the problem is the front rims is scrapping the the brakes calipers in the slightest way, i can't hear a sound but looking at it seriously its touching.

anyway i took my car to a local bob jane to get a second opinion and pretty much said this was a dodgy job.. they installed spacers up front and not in the rear ? anyway seen that setup before ?? Is wheels spacers illegal in victoria ? and also i'm concerned when i do have th change the break pads this will push the whole caliper into the rims..

give me some advice guys

cheers

aaronng
15-08-2009, 02:02 PM
When you buy wheels, you need to check the offset of the rims that you are getting. Stock offset is +55, so you should use something between +45 to +55.

power_of_dreams
15-08-2009, 03:36 PM
shave the calipers?

dtngo
15-08-2009, 05:02 PM
How long ago did you get the rims? I'd take them back and request they swap them with rims with the correct offset.

tony1234
15-08-2009, 05:17 PM
How long ago did you get the rims? I'd take them back and request they swap them with rims with the correct offset.
I agree.If they don't get in touch with Dept Fair Trading.Let them know this before you lodge a complaint.

Chi
15-08-2009, 05:43 PM
When you buy wheels, you need to check the offset of the rims that you are getting. Stock offset is +55, so you should use something between +45 to +55.

Offset alone won't garuntee clearance of calipers.

Wheel design also contributes.

For example, Advan RGs on dc2r with spoon calipers will not clear but regamasters in the same offset do. ( this is from experience )

aaronng
15-08-2009, 05:51 PM

For example, Advan RGs on dc2r with spoon calipers will not clear but regamasters in the same offset do. ( this is from experience )

I was assuming he was using stock calipers.

albii
15-08-2009, 06:00 PM

Correcto:thumbsup:..Just because the offset is say +48 DOESN'T MEAN IT WILL CLEAR THE BRAKES 100%....
When looking for wheels for my cu2, there was a certain wheel that wouldn't clear brakes with +45 but would +38 and they didn't stick out at all.
I ended up with +45 on a diff wheel.

yfin
15-08-2009, 10:23 PM
Your post is not really clear? Where did you buy the rims - the same place where it was installed? The choice of rims are the problem - not the installer (how hard do you think it is to fit new rims?)

Further what are the specification of the rims? Need to know everything - rim width, offset, etc.

And yes - spacers between the wheel and hub are 100% NOT legal in Victoria unless it is fitted by the car manufacturer as original equipment. Your car is not roadworthy with the spacers (as well as not being roadworthy with the rims touching the calipers).

Not roadworthy = no insurance = potential trouble with police =pain in the ass...!

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/NR/rdonlyres/CC48FC10-4D57-4F04-82E1-3BD72EF88340/0/VSI8.pdf

Chi
15-08-2009, 10:31 PM
I was assuming he was using stock calipers.

The bigger brakes or stock calipers had nothing to do with it.

IT was just for reference as I was using it as an example stating that regardless the wheels are exactly the same width or offset it will noth both clear the same brakes.

Dr.k20z1
15-08-2009, 10:56 PM
The bigger brakes or stock calipers had nothing to do with it.

IT was just for reference as I was using it as an example stating that regardless the wheels are exactly the same width or offset it will noth both clear the same brakes.

i can say that offset isnt everything also,

my stock wheels 17x7 +45 fit the bigger calipers, BUT

the work equips 17x9 +32 had no chance to fit them...

this is because of the dish and rim construction..

so it all depends on the wheel construction basically and a little bit towards the offset side!

euro1603
16-08-2009, 12:29 AM
I have original calipers. Yes i think the wheel design comes into play. these are deep dish rims. but hey if they don't fit just tell me and i will choose another design, don't be installing illegal sht on my car, only i'm allowed to do that : )

These rims i bought was directly from the distributer, like i said i emailed them for a general enquiry, they offered me a deal and i went from there.. i'm glad i went to bob jane for a second opinion.

I've since sent them an email request for a full refund and to have my stock rims put back on, lucky i didn't sell them .. maybe it was meant to be cos, my misses just bought me this jap OPTION car magazine and now i'm in love with these RAYS wheels instead.

i'll let you guys know what happened..

cheers

rodericb
16-08-2009, 12:43 AM
I saw you around the corner from the distributor checking out the noise about two weeks ago or so, I was walking past with my wife. Is a shame as the wheels looked quite good from the quick glance I had!

Sludge
16-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Offset and the xfactor (wheel shape are the important points). By adding spacers you are effectively decreasing the offset i.e +45 offset plus 5mm spacer equals +40 offset and this can in itself give you problems with warranty and insurance.

Sounds like a doggy job to me, I'd be taking them back.

albii
16-08-2009, 06:59 PM
Wait for their reply.If no luck getting refund, tell them you'll take your car along with receipt to get a machinary inspection done on car which it will fail because of the illegal fitted spacers.
Watch them refund your money then.

felixd
17-08-2009, 03:42 AM
post pics of the damage pls if u could the seller that sold u the wheel being a wan***

euro1603
18-08-2009, 11:57 PM
well they never actually admit mistake, kind of just play dumb, ooh the wheel mechanic did that.. well i just wanted my wheels replaced, so no point getting a rise out of them..pretty much just choose another design and they got they installed straight away.. lesson learnt here, just go the the retailers.. they're the experts so pay that little bit more for that reassurance...

albii
19-08-2009, 07:10 AM
So all resolved? That's good news..Did you have to make any type of action threatening to get there though?

Crapdaz
19-08-2009, 09:53 AM
Bring out the big guns.
And...
Take it up to the fair trading (ACCC),
as that would be a breach of product safety and duty of care.

http://www.business.gov.au/Business+Entry+Point/Business+Topics/Fair+trading/Fair+trading+laws.htm

euro1603
19-08-2009, 08:32 PM
i could have approach this issue with two choices, go in with guns blazing and ask for a 5 finger discount. or be civilised get my sht done and learn my lesson.. i choose to do just get it done and never to have deal with them again.. by law yes they fkd up big time and i could have taken them to the cleaners, but they have my credit card details, my home address and my car plates.. is it worth causing a war..?? at the end of the day they were quick to install the new wheels that i choose, i choose some more expensive ones.. and while i was sitting there my car was in the garage out of my sight getting worked on.. god knows what they can do behind my back, so i didn't wanna pi$$ed them off.. like i said, lesson learnt, i will buy expensive mods through a propert retailer next time..