PDA

View Full Version : I need new front brakes apparently

VBOMB
15-08-2009, 09:49 PM
I recently had LUBE mobile come out for a second time (same guy, did a good job the first time so I called him out for this) and my rear tires had actually 'seized' on so I couldn't get them off. Anyway so I called him out and he said he'd only charge me the call out fee etc, he fitted the new wheels and then let me know I'm going to need new front brakes very soon.

I also have very squeaky brakes :( How do I choose the right brakes? I wasn't sure whether it was just brake pads or what, I forgot what he said but he mentioned the longer I leave it the more it can eat into something and end up causing me alot more $$ (maybe the rotors I think)

duzy
15-08-2009, 09:50 PM
bendix brakes, go into your nearest autobahn and ask for bendix ulti or something

machine ur rotors, make em last longer

VBOMB
15-08-2009, 09:52 PM
He mentioned machining too I think, and said he could do it for me lol :D I should've been paying more attention but I was in a rush. How much am I looking at you think?

chargeR
15-08-2009, 09:53 PM
The squeaking you refer to is most likely the wear indicators on the brake pads. The noise is designed to make you aware that your brake pads are nearly worn out.

If you are not planning on taking the car to the track an OEM style pad by a known brand such as Ferodo or Bendix should be fine for your use.

Some new pads should be all you need, fairly inexpensive and easy to DIY if you have a few tools or a mechanically inclined mate. It is also generally a good idea to get the rotors machined when fitting new pads to ensure that the pads mate well to a fresh surface of iron.

VBOMB
15-08-2009, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the replies - what exactly is machining of the rotors?

Limbo
16-08-2009, 12:58 AM
making the discs all smooth

If your wheels are seizing on its worth a though to put abit of grease on the studs just before you tighten them up, or ultimately use dry lube