PDA

View Full Version : SRI Vs WHALES PENIS??

norm84
17-08-2009, 02:27 PM
how you going peeps, just wondering is there any difference in performance with the above 2 mentiond?

at the moment im running a SRI on my EG with a b16, but been looking at getting a Whales penis in there :p

has anyone up graded to one of these, if so what was the outcome?

sound?
torque?
power?
ect

thanks

bennjamin
17-08-2009, 02:29 PM
the whale penis (j's , copy etc) is a SRI.

90LAN
17-08-2009, 02:31 PM
ask chi
he has j's racing whale penis
and he loves it in all ways

norm84
17-08-2009, 02:35 PM
the whale penis (j's , copy etc) is a SRI.
oh ok, sorry man my bad. iv got a SRI, but as an alloy pipe, you get me?
its just one size all the way through, where as the whales penis it gets fatter..

bennjamin
17-08-2009, 02:38 PM
sorry im just been picky lol - just the design is a SRI :)

Anyway....ive heard decent things about the "whale penis" style intake , gives good induction noise. The larger pod surface area and the fact it slightly tapers like a venturi should give it a slight theoretical benefit to a dead straight pipe.

SPEEDCORE
17-08-2009, 02:42 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v698/SPEEDCORE/n669416873_864245_3921.jpg

I liked mine in more ways than one :thumbsup:

The whole thing with getting fatter then reducing down was to have:
A) large volume of air available when you mashed the throttle
B) might increase air velocity as it tapers down

Depending on the diameter of your existing SRI and the quality of the filter on it.... I would not bother wasting money on another intake.

Benson
17-08-2009, 02:43 PM
Whale penis = waste of money. A good SRI intake with a good filter will do the job!

norm84
17-08-2009, 02:59 PM

Depending on the diameter of your existing SRI and the quality of the filter on it.... I would not bother wasting money on another intake.

HAHAHA love the pic mate, the diameter is the the same diameter as the TB, if not maybe slightly bigger, also running a K&N pod, and in the making of a heat shield with CAI.

Whale penis = waste of money. A good SRI intake with a good filter will do the job!

what do you qualify as a good SRI?

as the above says in the " A and B" part does sound right in theory.
i thought having a whales penise Along with a good pod, CAI heat shield would be better?

Benson
17-08-2009, 03:03 PM
Every motor reacts differently to the length of intake use

norm84
17-08-2009, 03:07 PM
Every motor reacts differently to the length of intake use

i thought having a pipe leading all the way to the front of the bar with a pod (where fog lights are usually in place) would create lag in throttle response? please correct me if im wrong.
thats why iv stayed clear from that option.

TODA AU
17-08-2009, 10:12 PM
Whale penis intake is rubbish... Don't waste your money no matter what brand of crap it is.
A simple pipe of the same length will outpower it everywhere.
If the length is determined on the dyno you'll get best results.
Bang for buck, use a CAI (Injen, AEM, etc)

yourfather
17-08-2009, 10:29 PM

HAHAHA love the pic mate, the diameter is the the same diameter as the TB, if not maybe slightly bigger, also running a K&N pod, and in the making of a heat shield with CAI.

what do you qualify as a good SRI?

as the above says in the " A and B" part does sound right in theory.
i thought having a whales penise Along with a good pod, CAI heat shield would be better?

Whale penis intake is rubbish... Don't waste your money no matter what brand of crap it is.
A simple pipe of the same length will outpower it everywhere.
If the length is determined on the dyno you'll get best results.
Bang for buck, use a CAI (Injen, AEM, etc)

That's not what Mrs Killer Whale said

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a138/ZipZapZip/whale_penis2.jpg?t=1250512092

Phamburger
17-08-2009, 10:51 PM
Whale penis intake are just CRAP.
Avoid at all cost, unless it is the look your after for your engine bay.

As mention above intake from Injen, AEM etc give good bang for your buck performance gains.

quenjose
18-08-2009, 01:50 PM
sound?
very very LOUD. and angry...

torque?
felt weaker than my stock intake before crossover.
But had a very aggressive crossover, which was probably because the torque curve before crossover had dropped lower than stock...
but dont take my butt dyno as bible... as maybe inconsistent from time to time from lack of roughage

power?
If anything, i'd say it had pretty good throttle response and city-block-wakening sound effects...

norm84
20-08-2009, 03:04 PM
ok ppls, i have steered away from the whales penis and just modified my SRI to a CAI, running a pipe all the way to the front bar and making a vent and making a sami inclosed box, i find it a lil more torque, and response aint really changed but the intake doesn't sound as loud as before, but thats maybe due to it been further away from me.. im happy with the results :)

TheSaint
01-09-2009, 09:19 PM
i just purchased a cheap crappy one off ebay ... ill let you know how it goes lol

93 honda civic gli sedan (EG - D15B7), currently has Dc2 Integra Vti-R intake arm with a Apexi pod on the end ... which is actually awsome ... sounds good and revs quicker than the stock arm with K+N pod

the apexi pod is pretty dead and i needed a cheap quick replacement so i purchased a no-name whale penis with pod system from ebay lol the car is just a run about so im not chasing any massive gains or anything ... just want a new clean filter thats not damaged and the kit i purchased looks nice and ordinary as well =) not after anything flash lol

ill let you know about the changes when it arrives =)

dougie_504
02-09-2009, 12:42 AM
I don't think big brand names are really worthwhile. AEM, Injen, Fujita etc...they all look nice and shizzle but at the end of the day there's not a lot separating them from a random piece of 2.5-3" intake pipe.
If you just buy an APC SRI and get some more pipe, silicone connectors and clamps etc to relocated the pod down in your bumper you'll get a very similar result - it just won't look as 'nice'.

And in my opinion having used both alloy SRIs and the whale penis I'd say the whale penis is just a fancy looking SRI at the end of the day.

So really...just play to your budget and aesthetic preference.

Toilet
02-09-2009, 02:45 PM
did anyone notice the whale picture on the previous page showing a real whale dick. omfg, gross

BlitZ
02-09-2009, 03:24 PM
been tested.. OEM air box with k&N make the same power..

OEM air box makes more KW than the whale penis copies.... too haahaah

POS..

u better off with the right size ebay intake. or something from AEM or something if u are after sound

jesmine0
06-09-2009, 03:21 AM
i recon a good whale penis is designed to give 'cooler' air. when the air is sucked from the air filter, it being expanded in the whale penis to lose heat and producing 'cooler' air. and then compressed at the throttlebody. even tho the heat generated during compression on the throttle body but it will still slightly cooler than atmosphere temp.

I know you may say the air within it is almost in vacuum condition. but because of this situation, it allow the air moving quicker through the whale penis and producing cooler air. just like wat ur freeze did. compress and decompress to generate low temperature fluid.

a branded whale penis will taking the air velocity, temperature, direction, turbulent /laminar flow into consideration while the copy just simply producing similar product without consideration of the properties of moving air.

It just my though.

Dart
06-09-2009, 07:35 AM
I dyno the whale penis..I might not of done this right but I ran the car with whale penis and then just a bare throttle body ( no filter) .. 0 perforance gain,,,( they do make a great sound though) I use AEM now,,filter in the front guard ,,have not dyno it

norm84
06-09-2009, 10:16 AM
I dyno the whale penis..I might not of done this right but I ran the car with whale penis and then just a bare throttle body ( no filter) .. 0 perforance gain,,,( they do make a great sound though) I use AEM now,,filter in the front guard ,,have not dyno it

you cant compare using a "wales penis" and using "nothing"

though you are sucking hot air with a bare TB, its direct flow. no restrictions what so ever. so therefore already been higher power.

correct me if im wrong here.

norm